Guild Wars 2 Biggest Weakness

#21IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 1:01:03 PM
I understand it's an intentional feature designed in the game.
I feel this game targets more towards casual players who play a couple hours per day.
Therefore, it makes the game burn out slower for them.

Players like me who's highly competitive in getting "the best gear" and max out stats to feel superior than other players couldn't get the best out of this game. In previous mmo, I'm always inside a dominating guild so I guess people can see my play-style by it. I made alot of end-game efforts in making myself inbalance and superior than other players through gears. So the end-game in mmo really matters alot to me to keep the game long-lasting. Gw2 end-game feels quite strange and dull. Most of my friends seems to appear like once every several days after they reached cap too. From this, we can see the designed feature can be quite double-edged (benefit in some points but takes away other points at the same time).
#22DraconisRexPosted 10/5/2012 1:48:52 PM
MSN 04 Sazabi posted...
KirynTheCleric posted...
"Addictive feature" is mostly opinion. I find this game very addicting...

A variable rewards schedule is always addicting (random loot drops). Think diablo 2 or gambling.

Gw2 really deemphasizes this.

Nope. Has it. It got two rare's today. I couldn't use either on my main (a dagger & axe) and I've stored so much stuff that my inventory AND the invetory expansion I bought are fulll and I've got 12-slot bags on all my characters and they're mostly full...

So I put them up on the AH...

But, yes, there is a variable rewards schedule. It's just not tied to a raid end-chest.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#23rx105Posted 10/5/2012 2:34:13 PM
at first I thought with this level scaling, there would be no purpose in even having levels. But I recently went back to a 15-25 zone with my 40, and the fights were MUCH easier. I was struggling to kill one centaur, but I could easily take on 2 now. So leveling, getting better gear does matter. It just doesn't have that one hit kill mega uberness I own everyone take that you noobs mentality.
#24clowningPosted 10/5/2012 3:57:08 PM
So, basically, it's weakness is that it's not WoW.... Gotcha. That, and you personally do not find it "addictive" which means that no one finds it addictive.

OK, thanks for that invaluable post.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#25IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 8:49:49 PM
I don't really understand why some people kept bringing out this WoW game when the topic creator didn't even mentioned nor played WoW before. Let's not bring out a game that's not even relevent to this. I noticed whenever some people give criticism feedbacks to this game, some repliers keep bringing out WoW to the point of irritation.

You should learn how to accept criticism of your favourite game. If not, you end up like many of those WoW fanboys, the same kind. Yeah, this sentence sound harsh but it's the fact you should look at yourself.

As I said, this game has great new generation concept that's appealing and but at the same time, created the game less competitive and addictive. It's a plus and minus feature, not perfect. If you can't accept this, read the official forum in GW2 feedback. There're many who're having the same opinions as me. There're many who gotten burned out earlier than me. If you don't find it the same way, then good for you. You're in the group who haven't get burned out yet. People who already feel burned-out have the right to give criticism feedbacks so people aware of it's weakness beforehand. Every game has it's weakness or strength. It doesn't hurt sharing them from some players point of view.
#26horheristoPosted 10/5/2012 8:57:37 PM
Sounds to me like TC got the first wrong impression, then paused, then realized he's playing a different game.

By the way, hating / disliking a game and posting about it doesn't make you a troll.
If you quit and remain in forums much after and still talking crap about it, that does.
#27IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 9:17:50 PM
IndigoIce posted...
horheristo posted...
Sounds to me like TC got the first wrong impression, then paused, then realized he's playing a different game.

By the way, hating / disliking a game and posting about it doesn't make you a troll.
If you quit and remain in forums much after and still talking crap about it, that does.

In my opinion, it's people who bring about about WoW and being sarcastic to TC when the TC's intent was just to share it's weakness are the trolls.

It isn't crap when it's the truth that the game is facing. I understand some players are being defensive about it since they don't want others to think badly about the game. But they shouldn't be over defensive trying to negate or disrespect others' opinions. That's the same like those politicians who try to shut people who have different opinions from them.

Anyway, it isn't "hate nor dislike", it's expressing my concern to my current favourite game.
#28clowningPosted 10/5/2012 9:34:19 PM
IndigoIce posted...
I don't really understand why some people kept bringing out this WoW game when the topic creator didn't even mentioned nor played WoW before. Let's not bring out a game that's not even relevent to this. I noticed whenever some people give criticism feedbacks to this game, some repliers keep bringing out WoW to the point of irritation.

You should learn how to accept criticism of your favourite game. If not, you end up like many of those WoW fanboys, the same kind. Yeah, this sentence sound harsh but it's the fact you should look at yourself.

As I said, this game has great new generation concept that's appealing and but at the same time, created the game less competitive and addictive. It's a plus and minus feature, not perfect. If you can't accept this, read the official forum in GW2 feedback. There're many who're having the same opinions as me. There're many who gotten burned out earlier than me. If you don't find it the same way, then good for you. You're in the group who haven't get burned out yet. People who already feel burned-out have the right to give criticism feedbacks so people aware of it's weakness beforehand. Every game has it's weakness or strength. It doesn't hurt sharing them from some players point of view.

TC's points 1, 2, 4, 5 are basically complaints that the game is not like WoW, or EQ, or pick your traditional MMO upon which WoW is based. Points 1, 2, 4, 5 can be found in WoW, and WoW is the big name MMO in west at this point in time.

Furthermore, this "weakness" (should be "weaknesses, by the way, since he made 5 bullets) are not really weaknesses at all. Weakness is not considered subjective, but the 5 bullets are subjective. So in the end, we have a guy saying GW2 is not a traditional MMO.... This is the point of GW2. It was, in fact, a huge part of the marketing campaign and the entire game design.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#29NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 10/5/2012 9:38:17 PM
So this topic basically boils down to 'it isn't like virtually every other MMORPG in existence.'

Well, damn. That's why I'm here.
#30IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 9:47:01 PM
clowning posted...
Furthermore, this "weakness" (should be "weaknesses, by the way, since he made 5 bullets) are not really weaknesses at all. Weakness is not considered subjective, but the 5 bullets are subjective. So in the end, we have a guy saying GW2 is not a traditional MMO.... This is the point of GW2. It was, in fact, a huge part of the marketing campaign and the entire game design.

I understand that it's subjective.
In every designed feature, there's always a strength and a weakness.
There's no perfect feature.

E.g. The level scaled down in fields.
Pros: It makes higher level want to play with lower level. So higher level level won't feel bored when he wants to play in lower level map. It also not make players feel like a juggernaut in lower level areas. It also won't take away the fun when other higher level players kill your mobs in one shot during low levels.
Cons: It makes higher level players feel less special. Some players find the joy of letting low level mobs hit them 0-1 dmg in lower level dunguen. The feeling of "godly" and "immortal" in low level dunguens are the rewards. It makes players feel that achieving high level is worth the rewards. Therefore, if the perks are not effective, it creates less motivation for players to desire reaching higher level.