Guild Wars 2 Biggest Weakness

#31CenaxKikiaPosted 10/5/2012 10:50:55 PM
KaitoIcarus posted...
Oh no, the game isn't like WoW. Quick, everyone! Grab a flamethrower kit!

Yes because wow has world pvp.

Read his damn post. God.
---
"The unknown.. trolls us.." -Carl Sagan
I play with balls and cubes -> http://www.youtube.com/CenaxKikia
#32Jo_JoaninePosted 10/5/2012 11:08:59 PM
Dungeon
Dungeon
Dungeon
#33DraginvryPosted 10/5/2012 11:14:15 PM
I agree that Guild Wars 2 isn't as addicting as other MMO's I've played. However, the reason Guild Wars 2 isn't addicting has nothing to do with any of the points made in the original post.
#34clowningPosted 10/6/2012 6:43:45 AM
In every designed feature, there's always a strength and a weakness.

This is true, but the TC is using the words "strength" and "weakness" incorrectly. These are objective terms, or they are terms relative to one another in category. Let me explain what this means. You can say "he is stronger than him" or "he is weaker than him" making them relative to one another in a category (physical strength, for instance). But you are using these words differently. You cannot apply "strength" and "weakness" to "I like" or "I dislike", which is what you are trying to do, they are radically different concepts.

GW2's "weakness", as the OP says, is not a "weakness". It is a different design based on a different paradigm. The goal of GW2 is not the same goal as traditional MMO design, therefore they are not comparable in a strength/weakness dichotomy. It would be like saying one person is physically stronger than another person because one of them speaks english and the other one does not.

IF another MMO is created with the same design goals as GW2, then you can compare strength and weaknesses between the two, looking into which one accomplishes which goals more successfully.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#35asdf8562Posted 10/6/2012 9:55:25 AM
IndigoIce posted...
Currently, playing GW2 feels like playing my ps3 rpg games.
Solo (No one to brag my exotic eqs with) and non-competitive (No reason to compete with anyone. There's not much source of motivation and "a cause" to compete with other players since all players are equal no matter how much we play.

Agrees with this, and I dont care if Im called a troll. This board calls anyone with a negative opinion about the game trolls. The board in their eyes is only meant to praise the game.
#36HydroCannabinolPosted 10/6/2012 10:12:58 AM
IndigoIce posted...
clowning posted...
Furthermore, this "weakness" (should be "weaknesses, by the way, since he made 5 bullets) are not really weaknesses at all. Weakness is not considered subjective, but the 5 bullets are subjective. So in the end, we have a guy saying GW2 is not a traditional MMO.... This is the point of GW2. It was, in fact, a huge part of the marketing campaign and the entire game design.

I understand that it's subjective.
In every designed feature, there's always a strength and a weakness.
There's no perfect feature.

E.g. The level scaled down in fields.
Pros: It makes higher level want to play with lower level. So higher level level won't feel bored when he wants to play in lower level map. It also not make players feel like a juggernaut in lower level areas. It also won't take away the fun when other higher level players kill your mobs in one shot during low levels.
Cons: It makes higher level players feel less special. Some players find the joy of letting low level mobs hit them 0-1 dmg in lower level dunguen. The feeling of "godly" and "immortal" in low level dunguens are the rewards. It makes players feel that achieving high level is worth the rewards. Therefore, if the perks are not effective, it creates less motivation for players to desire reaching higher level.

Wow I bet youre one of those kids who looovveed godmode in games. Get some skill.
---
PSN: Mind Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#37InfernoCrossingPosted 10/6/2012 11:04:43 AM
The main problem for me is the tendency for skill points and events to get bugged.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/5xio9f.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/29gd095.jpg
#38dejavu1982Posted 10/6/2012 11:07:19 AM
"It severely lacks "addictive feature".

Stopped reading there, im addicted /discussion
#39IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 11:16:49 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Wow I bet youre one of those kids who looovveed godmode in games. Get some skill.

Don't bet, that's just your sarcastic assumption.

The issue is not the "godmode". It's the lack of "reward feel" of being high levels that sets you apart from low level players. One source of motivation for players to level up is because they want to feel special and stronger than the lower players. GW2 is designed to negate the weakness of previous mmos but it gained a weakness from it. It's a +/- designed feature.

Here's a video of a scene in a Japanese anime about mmorpg. (It's currently one of the top animes in 2012.)
Forumers here should watch this 1 min video and get what I mean by the feeling of being special in mmos.

Link - http://youtu.be/Z50jgTe7ccI?hd=1
#40Gojak_v3Posted 10/6/2012 11:34:58 AM
Reading this thread makes me want to go play GW2.