Guild Wars 2 Biggest Weakness

#41Black_BoxxPosted 10/6/2012 12:39:09 PM
1) It still happens in GW2, but it's far less pronounced. I can go back to low level zones on my level 80 guardian wearing rares and exotics, and just eat everything I encounter. I can't one-shot mobs, but I can take on much larger groups than I could while levelling.

2) Actually, yes, GW2 does have weapon and armor enhancements in place. They are called runes, sigils, crests, gemstones, and medallions. Place them in your armor and you will get +stats and sometimes helpful effects. How did you not see this while playing?

3) You have a point here. There really is no need for guilds. I know this because I have gone to level 80, and am in the process of getting exotic gear all on my own. I plan to join one at some point, but I just wanted to see the game on my own terms first.

4) No, it does not give a thrill whether you're the ganker or the gankee. I've been on both sides and the only time I enjoyed it was when I was the ganker. It sucks to be doing something and some jerk comes along and just ruins it for you. I have been that jerk before in order to let off steam when it happened to me. You may enjoy the spontaneity of it, but when a player is in an area trying to do something, chances are they would rather be doing that and not getting ganked. PvP is available for those who want to fight other players. You don't need to force it on to people who would rather be earning money or whatnot and it really says something about you that you think that should be allowed. Namely, that your way of playing is better than theirs and you should have the authority to force them to play your way. Would you like it if another player jumped in to your PvP match and literally forced you to go grind some trash mobs? I'm not talking about pestering you into it. They somehow have the ability to force you to drop what you're doing, and grind mobs. Would you enjoy players having that kind of power over you?

5) Why does the game need raids? Dungeons provide the difficulty that people were asking for without the need to have 25, 40, 60, however many players all coordinated at once. This lets many more players access the content. Completing it is another story, but at least everyone gets a shot.

All this aside, how have you not played WoW? It has everything you are looking for in spades (which is why people keep bringing it up). It isn't a bad game by any stretch (at least not when I played it during the first expansion), but I dropped it because of the very features you are asking GW to adopt.

Let GW be GW. It has it's problems, but what you suggest would not fix any of them. It would simply make it another WoW clone doomed to fail because people are already too invested in WoW to start all over in another game.

The "lacking" addictive nature of GW is intentional. The devs don't want people to feel like they have to play. They want players to want to play. Obviously you don't want to, so you should stop, and check out other games that you would actually enjoy. Like WoW. Seriously. Give it a try if you honestly have not.
#42The_BubPosted 10/6/2012 12:43:54 PM
The first one didn't have any of this stuff either, I don't really know what you were expecting if I'm being honest.
#43awwwSNAPPosted 10/6/2012 1:31:43 PM
I prefer to play games because I enjoy them, rather than that my blood itches from addiction if I don't log on for a few days. This game doesn't need the WoW-addiction features. Nor does it need PKing. Wouldn't that just be a blast if every time you were working on a skill point champ some guy waited til you got low, swooped in, and killed you? No. It wouldn't.

There was a time, once, when people who didn't like a game simply didn't play it, or talk about it, or worry about it. If this game is lacking all of your favorite features? Rather than complaining, or hoping the devs will suddenly decide that YOUR personal vision for their game is superior to theirs... Why not just play a game that has those features?

And seriously, WoW is the answer to your frustration. Gear treadmill addiction-fuel in spades, guilds, raids, the ability to stand in the middle of town spamming LOOK AT MY COOL GEAR YOU GUYS SEE HOW HARD I GRINDED AND BE IMPRESSED, YE STRANGERS, that feeling of 'if i dont play for 6 hours today other people will be ahead of me and that's terrible'... Basically everything you want except open pvp. And pandas.
#44Jo_JoaninePosted 10/6/2012 11:52:42 PM
Honestly, whoever plays mmos to feel "special" or "superior" to anyone needs to look hard in the mirror and re-evaluate their lives for a moment.
#45IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 12:50:43 AM
Jo_Joanine posted...
Honestly, whoever plays mmos to feel "special" or "superior" to anyone needs to look hard in the mirror and re-evaluate their lives for a moment.

It's human nature. In society, do you know why there's such things as promotion? It's made that way so that the hard workers have "a cause" to work hard. If there's no such concept as promotion, people have no motivation to work hard. These "rewards" are important in mmo.

It's one reason why a country like North Korea remains primitive. Doctors and cleaners earn the same. Everyone is an equal no matter how hard they work. It promotes demotivations. No one will strive to work hard and that leds to further problem such as low economy and human greed (nuclear research). Similar to overly equal game like gw2, players may eventually feel demotivated easily because no matter how much they play, they can't feel special nor superior.

Players play mmo so they can feel special among players, not just against the game.
If not, players rather play a solo ps3/xbox rpg since they don't have to compare levels and gears.
#46Jo_JoaninePosted 10/7/2012 1:42:22 AM
IndigoIce posted...
Jo_Joanine posted...

It's human nature. In society, do you know why there's such things as promotion? It's made that way so that the hard workers have "a cause" to work hard. If there's no such concept as promotion, people have no motivation to work hard. These "rewards" are important in mmo.

It's one reason why a country like North Korea remains primitive. Doctors and cleaners earn the same. Everyone is an equal no matter how hard they work. It promotes demotivations. No one will strive to work hard and that leds to further problem such as low economy and human greed (nuclear research). Similar to overly equal game like gw2, players may eventually feel demotivated easily because no matter how much they play, they can't feel special nor superior.

Players play mmo so they can feel special among players, not just against the game.
If not, players rather play a solo ps3/xbox rpg since they don't have to compare levels and gears.

Except many people actually like their job, and are not necessarily just doing it so they can move on up.
You know, like 3rd grade teachers that just like working with kids and have no wish of being university professors?
Or perhaps a session songwriter that wouldn't want to spend 10 months a year on tour?
Etc, etc, etc...

Sure, there are cases where you are right, and the person is career-oriented, but then said person should be actually spending their time accomplishing that to get their satisfaction.
Not trying to boost their ego with a purely recreational activity like a videogame. If anything, that's just a sign that they've failed to achieve what they wanted in life and desperately need to find something - anything to excel at.

So again, time to re-evaluate your priorities if you're actually turning to games for an ego boost.
Games are a hobby. If you want to be "special", go do something amazing that is actually of consequence.

On a completely different note, it would be much appreciated if you tried to clean up your English when replying, as it is a bit of a chore to read your posts in their current state.
No offense intended, as I assume it's not your 1st language.
#47IndigoIce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 4:21:10 AM
Jo_Joanine posted...
Except many people actually like their job, and are not necessarily just doing it so they can move on up.
You know, like 3rd grade teachers that just like working with kids and have no wish of being university professors?
Or perhaps a session songwriter that wouldn't want to spend 10 months a year on tour?
Etc, etc, etc....

People who love their jobs would definitely want promotions so they can have opportunities to do more things. E.g. A designer. No designers want to constantly working under other superior designers. They don't want to be a drafter of superiors' designs for the rest of their life. They would want to be the brain to develop the design and concept at some point of time too. The only way is to work hard so they will be awarded with the promotion that allows them to have more opportunities. Therefore, a promotion is important regardless whether they like the job or not.

Sure, there are cases where you are right, and the person is career-oriented, but then said person should be actually spending their time accomplishing that to get their satisfaction.
Not trying to boost their ego with a purely recreational activity like a videogame. If anything, that's just a sign that they've failed to achieve what they wanted in life and desperately need to find something - anything to excel at..
So again, time to re-evaluate your priorities if you're actually turning to games for an ego boost.
Games are a hobby. If you want to be "special", go do something amazing that is actually of consequence.

It's seems your ideals of online games is different from mine. It's not a matter of boosting ego. It's not a matter whether they have some real-life problems too. That's just you being judgemental. What are multi-player games? Even in sports, there're rankings like 1st/2nd/3rd. In a game, there're winners and loser. It's not called a game when there're no winners or losers. What's the point of playing a "game" when no one win or lose? If you want something recreational, it's better to watch a movie or ride a bicycle. If you want a no-winners game because you can't accept feeling inferior from others, it's better to play a solo game on ps3 or xbox. This is a multi-player game where people play and compete with each other.

I must say that GW2 lacks this. Many competitive players feel this. It's one reason why the Titan Alliance disbanded and quit. There's nothing for them there to be rewarded of being special/superior despite their skills and hardwork. The "rewards" are almost non-existent.

On a completely different note, it would be much appreciated if you tried to clean up your English when replying, as it is a bit of a chore to read your posts in their current state.
No offense intended, as I assume it's not your 1st language.

I don't find any problems with it. I tend to write long sentences in a shot.
Blame it on your comprehension skill, not push the blame to another.
I don't want to simplify it for people who can't even comprehend something like this & gave me sarcastic replies.
#48haker10201Posted 10/7/2012 6:54:16 AM
IndigoIce posted...

In my opinion, it's people who bring about about WoW and being sarcastic to TC when the TC's intent was just to share it's weakness are the trolls.

Why are you talking about yourself in the third person? XD

Anyways, to address a few of your points:

1) Wrong. As others said, a level 80 player does a lot better fighting in a level 30 dungeon then a level 30 player. One of the big things that gives people an incentive to level is Traits. Traits boost your character's effectiveness by a massive margin. Even in terms of raw DPS from your auto attacks. Go into an sPvP match and attack a dummy without traits, then with full traits. You'll notice a huge difference (unless you build something stupid). And there's also other bonuses that boost your potential by a large amount. For example" On my Mesmer, my damage potential skyrocketed at level 40. Why? Because I got access to the 2nd tier Traits (20 points), and was able to get the trait that lets projectiles bounce an extra time. Now, one extra bounce doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you're a Condition Mesmer, that extra bounce means you're hitting an enemy twice per attack, which means you have two chances to inflict an extra stack of bleeding, or a stack of burning.

Another draw to leveling is the Weapons and Armor unlocked at higher levels. Everyone's biggest complaint with the game is "ohhh, armor and weapons all look the same QQ", which isn't true. Only the really basic stuff looks the same. As you level (unlocking more dungeons, gaining more karma, and gaining more gold), you get access to weapons and armor that look amazing. It's not really that big a deal to some people (they aren't going to level to 80 just to look nice if they don't like the game), but imo, the variety of weapons and armor at higher levels is another huge incentive to level.

I could go on and on, but I don't wanna run out of space.

2) I do agree with this. One of my biggest complaints about the crafting system is the lack of incentive to do it, apart from crafting Legendary weapons. There's no point leveling a crafting system to make your own gear, because all of the weapons are pretty much the same stat wise. There's no diversity apart from how the weapon looks, which can be changed with a Transmutation stone anyways. I'd really like to see a revamped Crafting system. In other MMOs that have crafting, whenever you make something, you have a chance to get random stat bonuses, or you can put random stats on the items, which makes it more beneficial to craft instead of buy. GW doesn't have that at all, which is sad. There's a lot of potential for the crafting system, but sadly they didn't go all out.

3) I believe the biggest draw for having a guild in ANY game is the social aspect of it. Obviously, most people join guilds to get carried through the game, do Dungeons or PvP, and overall they just leech. But for some, guilds are a way to connect with people, socialize, and just have fun playing a game together. There are also added benefits to being in a guild. More members = more influence (My guild just started recruitment, we got 10 or so new members and gained 200 influence within the first few hours. Imagine what 500 people can do lol), which means more guild benefits. There's the obvious benefits, such as increased XP/Karma/Drop banners, there's the WvW benefits (I forget what they are), and there's a bunch of other benefits to guilds. Imo, you should find a guild to make your home, you'll enjoy the Guild system a lot more if you're an active member of the guild, instead of someone who just hops to a random guild to get what they want, then moves on (the limit on guilds is 4 btw).

Hit character limit z,z
---
PSN: Haker10201
#49haker10201Posted 10/7/2012 6:54:36 AM
4) A PK system would ruin this game. If you have a level 80, fully geared character fighting a level 5 character, it's not hard to tell who's going to win. Traits and Weapon/Armor stats play a large role in someone's PvP potential, regardless if the game scales them down or not. And we all know that there would be a large amount of people who gain pleasure by inflicting pain on others, AKA ganking them in low level zones, preventing them from playing/enjoying the game, and overall being a major ass hat.

However, I would love to see some sort of PK system introduced into the game, but only in an Instanced map. They shouldn't allow it in normal zones, instead they should do it like they do sPvP and WvW. A giant, FFA style map would be a hell of a lot of fun if done correctly. People might argue that sPvP and WvW are fine enough for PvP, and they're correct to an extent. But another PvP option, that's just every man for himself in a battle royal would be soooo much fun. It also creates a lot of possibilities for PvP in general. For example, we don't have any way to reliably PvP against mass amounts of people within the same server as us (WvW is server v server, and sPvP has a 5 man per team limit). It would be really cool to see something like that, but I doubt we ever will. Their biggest selling point is the WvW system, and if they had another option for mass PvP, the WvW population would die out pretty quickly (compared to what it is now, lots of people would keep WvWing).

5) Can't really comment on this, as I've never played an MMO that had a raid system (I've played a few that did, but I never played long enough to try it out), and I've only successfully ran one dungeon. I think a mass dungeon, that had a 30+ man cap would be a lot of fun, even though it would be insanely difficult (you have 30 people in one place, the mobs would have to be stronger then champions, and that's just the normal ones lol). Maybe in the future we'll see something like this, but for now, World bosses and Dungeons are enough for me.

Imo, one of the biggest benefits to playing this game is the fact that you don't have to play 10 hours a day to get enjoyment out of it. There's nothing that's forcing you to play, you aren't held hostage by a subscription fee, so you can play whenever you want to. I could quit this game right now, come back in 10 months, and continue like I never left. I am a bit addicted to it, so I do play fairly often, but I don't feel like I have to play for 12 hours a day to keep up with everyone else, or to get the full enjoyment out of the game. For the past week or so, I've been playing a lot of TL2, and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything GW related. It's not like "Oh crap, I went a week without no lifing, my sub renews next week, so much wasted time". It's like "Man, TL2 is a lot of fun, I'll play it for 5 hours or so, then log on GW to do my dailies and maybe gain a level or two".

Well, that's my take on things.
---
PSN: Haker10201
#50clowningPosted 10/7/2012 7:07:37 AM
IndigoIce posted...

People who love their jobs would definitely want promotions so they can have opportunities to do more things.

This is not necessarily true, as has already been explained. Some people will not want promotions because a promotion will mean a different sort of job that they would not like.

Indigolce, you and Jo are saying the same things. You and he both are saying that it is a matter of feeling superior, of ego fulfillment.

But what Jo is saying, and you don't seem to have understood, is that this superiority feeling is based on false achievements. In other words, it is a fake sense of superiority, of self.

There is no "reward" in these games beyond ego. And the ego boost you get from showing off some super powerful gear is based on fiction, not the real world. Getting special gear does nothing in the real world. It doesn't build a house, it doesn't feed you, etc. It is a fake accomplishment.

Video games are entertainment, they should not replace a sense of failure in the real world with feelings of accomplishment and pride because anything you do in the game is pretend. It's all a fantasy, and basing your sense of achievement on a fantasy will never give you anything real or tangible or improve your life. All it will do is keep you from achieving real things in the real world, and keep you from solving real problems that you really have.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle