So why did humans think that taking Charr land was ever a good idea?

#31MarikhenPosted 10/6/2012 11:44:20 PM
NCPwn posted...
They prefer to be called Native Americans.

Yeah, except they aren't Native Americans. There are no human populations native to the Americas. The oldest populations came from Siberia and Mongolia across the Bering Strait. At best they're Asian Americans by modern terminology. If being able to trace their ancestors on the continents back a few hundred years makes them "native" then I'm a "Native American" as well because for all that my family is Germanic descent I can trace it back at least 200 years on the continent. :-D

digitalwill2000 posted...

OT: I prefer the Charr over the humans. The Charr literally killed their own gods, not putting up with their tyranny. What do humans do? Firstly they force their religion on the other races. Second, their gods abandoned them...and the humans CONTINUED to worship them. Ever heard of 'self-respect', humans?

Humans are typically the least pious race in most video games. Furthermore while religion often contains it's pious types or its true spiritual people it's typically used as a control mechanism in both human literature/fiction and in human history. It's no wonder that the humans in the Guild Wars 2 universe would use their religion to control other races and continue to so use it even after the deities that empower the religion's followers disappear and/or abandon the humans in question.

It's not about god or worship, it's about power and control.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#32StupidMofozPosted 10/7/2012 3:47:13 AM(edited)
OtakuD50 posted...
StupidMofoz posted...
It was just written in for guildwars 2, I doubt it would of ever been in the lore if this game didn't exist and Charr weren't playable (BTW they should have never been, they make better villains)

Guildwars 2 lore sounds like a bad fan fiction, no clue why they feel they had to justify Charr.

You must have never paid attention to Eye of the North.

Too bad eye of the north was all setting up for gw2, originally it was going to be Guild Wars UTOPIA being released instead so yes, it wouldn't of happened, they just wanted to justify Charr and make us feel bad for an evil race so they could give them a reason to be playable.

Just like how they made humans look bad this time around, they want people to play their other races, give them reasons too. Humans in the first Guildwars were actually very good people.
#33Sora1105Posted 10/7/2012 4:12:02 AM
StupidMofoz posted...
OtakuD50 posted...
StupidMofoz posted...
It was just written in for guildwars 2, I doubt it would of ever been in the lore if this game didn't exist and Charr weren't playable (BTW they should have never been, they make better villains)

Guildwars 2 lore sounds like a bad fan fiction, no clue why they feel they had to justify Charr.

Too bad eye of the north was all setting up for gw2, originally it was going to be Guild Wars UTOPIA being released instead so yes, it wouldn't of happened, they just wanted to justify Charr and make us feel bad for an evil race so they could give them a reason to be playable.

Just like how they made humans look bad this time around, they want people to play their other races, give them reasons too. Humans in the first Guildwars were actually very good people.

very good people? we must not have played the same game
---
Love me or hate me, it won't make me or break me
#34TheNeckbeard(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 7:57:25 AM
StupidMofoz posted...
OtakuD50 posted...
StupidMofoz posted...

It's all about perception. If you make a character on the human side and play through their lore you get to see things from their eyes.

No one thinks of themselves as evil and unjust. I didn't get to play GW1 much, i only owned the original with no expansions and hardly played it cause i was addicted to other MMO's. But from what I understood you could only be a human?

So therefore you were basically only looking at the stuff from human perspective. And the Charr would seem like blood thirsty beasts and savages to the everyday random human.

Yet the Charr even then wouldn't have seen themselves as evil or savages. They had their customs, beliefs way of doing things.
#35TheNeckbeard(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 8:00:03 AM
Oh and btw... The Charr really remind me culture wise very much of the Klingons of Star Trek.

More aggressive and warlike..etc.

They even killed their own Gods... like the Klingons did.

http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon

According to Klingon mythology, the gods created the Klingon race in an image not of their own. Like the deities of the human Greeks, the Klingon gods had an agenda of their own, which often lead to suffering and chaos for their new creatures. In answer, the first Klingon slew their gods (who were mortal beings), forever sealing his people's place as warriors and conquerors.
#36AsterAzulPosted 10/8/2012 8:33:35 AM
Bottom line, as much as I love Charr, they're not exactly nice. In fact, they're pretty much big furry jerks!

<- mains a Charr
---
I develop games:
http://rosstin.wordpress.com/
#37Amy_AwienPosted 10/8/2012 9:00:48 AM
GoatJugSoup posted...
I never knew that about the charr until GW2, I thought they were the instigators with the searing.

What a crap, they were the agressor. Charr can only make war, when they're unified under one banner they go to war against other nations or races, when not, they go to war against each other. Humans lived in Ascalon for 1100 years before the Charr decided to wage war and unleashed the Searing

The Charr fought Forgotten, somewhere in mountains north of the Crytsal Desert,way south of Ascalon. That's why they were in Ascalon. Then almost 1500 years ago humans came from Cantha and colonized Ascalon, Kryta and the Jungle, made it their home and for 1100 years they lived on the lands the Charr only used to travel through on their way to the Forgotten.
#38alkarion_logPosted 10/8/2012 10:28:12 AM
don't know why all this talk about charr and human, both make the war, humans make a kingdom there, a big one from the ruins, lived for over 1k years before charrs could bring it down and even so now have to deal with ghosts, pretty much all this things would never happen if charr was not so war like, and if humans tryed to give then some small part and help then build a city, but the problem was both sides wanted it all hence war, hence all the dragons problems now.

take note too the destiny edge is a group with all playeable races working together doing what no other did, pretty much they are telling only way to win is if all work together not war against each other.

good thing also each dragon fight agaisnt each other if not things really would go south, it also bring me to think when we start to kill more dragons the last one standing will be too strong for us to fight because we only spend resources and lose troops, don't see that happen with the dragons...
---
FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and some money