End game vs Balance

#1PlinkochipPosted 10/5/2012 3:59:31 PM
There is a lot of discussion on the boards about what endgame is. There is also the discussion about how this game is so balanced that nobody is "powerful".

And i would like to add my two cents to these issues.

Regarding endgame, most people will agree that it is basically "Acquiring gear that amplifies a characters power, this gear can only be collected by characters at the level cap".

So, we must examine why people want this. Do they want to be more powerful than the other players? Do the want to see bigger numbers? Or is it simply a way to further develop a character after you hit the level cap?.

It is all of these things and more. It is dependant on how an individual looks at endgame in the first place. There are people in World of warcraft who hit level cap and just quit, because the "levels" were their only goal.

In the argument of continuing to increase character statistics, it really doesn't matter in the end, because in this game, if they did add an endgame like that, then everyone would just collect that loot like they did any other loot, and then ask why there is no more "endgame".

People seem to have forgotten the days when it wasn't about the destination, but the journey getting there. We didn't all play FFXI or ragnarok online so we could hit level 99. We played it because it was just fun killing things and an amusing game, right?

On the issue of balancing, the game is indeed very balanced. And because it is as balanced as it is, people are having a hard time substantially arguing any one class is better than another. I am a mesmer, and I have had my ass kicked by warriors and rangers a lot. Especially rangers and their pets.

All in all, my concluding statement about the issues, would be that Balance in a game will never be found by having "Overpowered as hell" gears/classes. Because by creating more powerful gears and classes, they would end up having to balance everything else to that level, making the game "boring" again.
#2AerzelPosted 10/5/2012 5:05:53 PM
Plinkochip posted...
Regarding endgame, most people will agree that it is basically "Acquiring gear that amplifies a characters power, this gear can only be collected by characters at the level cap"

Not at all. That's just how endgame has been handled in most MMORPGs, but that's not what I at least would define by endgame. Endgame is "game content that can only be accessed, enjoyed or properly rewarded by players having reached max level". And in my opinion, I would also add "in order to be fun, relevant or engaging in the slightest, this content must have enough competition, variety and progression to keep players in the game for a long, possibly undetermined amount of time."

Gear treadmill is how most MMORPGs out there have handled post-maxlevel progression, but by itself, gear progression=/=endgame.
---
If you're reading this, then I just made you lose a few seconds of your life, which you'll never get back. Enjoy your day.
#3Demonee-HoPosted 10/5/2012 5:18:25 PM
Aerzel posted...
Plinkochip posted...
Regarding endgame, most people will agree that it is basically "Acquiring gear that amplifies a characters power, this gear can only be collected by characters at the level cap"

Not at all. That's just how endgame has been handled in most MMORPGs, but that's not what I at least would define by endgame. Endgame is "game content that can only be accessed, enjoyed or properly rewarded by players having reached max level". And in my opinion, I would also add "in order to be fun, relevant or engaging in the slightest, this content must have enough competition, variety and progression to keep players in the game for a long, possibly undetermined amount of time."

Gear treadmill is how most MMORPGs out there have handled post-maxlevel progression, but by itself, gear progression=/=endgame.

Agreed, although this game does have an endgame gear treadmill of sorts among the other endgame activities it provides. The stats advantages for gear plateau (most people use this fact to argue that the gear treadmill is "cosmetic") but since there are different stat combinations for each set you'll have to collect many pieces to allow your character to run different end-game builds. I've been working on my third equipment set for my Mesmer and it hasn't gotten stale since the game allows for many of methods of obtaining that gear.

This ultimately ties in to the competition aspect of WvW, where you test your toon against random players.
#4horheristoPosted 10/5/2012 5:35:14 PM
What's more interesting is how Anet are going to handle the upcoming expansions?

Will the new zones have a variety of levels or all targeted at the so-called endgame for lv80 players?

I doubt they'll ever raise the level cap for various reasons...

I think this discussion should start past the first Xpack.
#5Cookie BagPosted 10/5/2012 6:31:29 PM
Plinkochip posted...
People seem to have forgotten the days when it wasn't about the destination, but the journey getting there. We didn't all play FFXI or ragnarok online so we could hit level 99. We played it because it was just fun killing things and an amusing game, right?

I agree with the journey thing, but i have to say that me and MANY others played ragnarok online to get to 99 ASAP so you can kill MvP's and do WoE's...
---
People abusing the poll system with stupid polls is going out of control.
Please stop posting stupid polls.