Been a few weeks. Is this game holding up?

#1Lord_KagatoPosted 10/6/2012 11:56:45 AM
I'm thinking about getting GW2 since FFXIV is going down for a while as it shifts to A Realm Reborn servers. I've been wanting to try GW2 anyway, but I didn't want to get something that just wouldn't keep me interested for too long.

So, for those of you who have been playing for a while now, does the game still grip you, or is the magic starting to fade?
---
Now Let's Playing Resident Evil Zero-Thru-5 - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
#2NordiniPosted 10/6/2012 11:59:28 AM
The game is excellent for many reasons, but do not listen to anybody's opinion on here.

This particular board has become a breeding ground for Trolls. If you ask the people in game on their opinions, they give honest, good answers.
---
Gentlemen know that embezzlement, insider trading,tax fraud and similar activities are not actually crimes.Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#3kingofthekidsPosted 10/6/2012 12:01:54 PM
Kind of in between. When you first get it and dive into the world, that's really the peak of the game's excitement. Eventually, after you've explored the world enough and tried out all the professions, it hits a plateau.

That plateau is on a different level depending on the individual. Some, like me, are still high up there and enjoying the game. Others have hit a low plateau, feeling that it's gotten stale because the original thrill isn't quite there anymore.

Most people have logged at least a few dozen hours of game time and enjoyed it. There are a lot of players who have hundreds of hours logged. If you're willing to pay a dollar per hour of entertainment, and probably get far more over the long term, then I'd say it's worth it.
#4MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/6/2012 12:03:48 PM(edited)
Wow, look at the fanboyism spewing out of that post.

"Anyone who gives negative opinions about the game is a troll and should not be listened to"

Yes, ask only the people who are playing the game still. Of course they'll give a more favorable opinion ugh. Oh, I mean a "honest, good answer."

The game was fun for about 30 levels, then I realized I was doing the same thing over and over again with hardly any sense of progression. It's disappointing. There's no drive to keep playing - the skills you unlock later on aren't particularly interesting, have long cd's, the loot barely comes, the exploration is forced and artificial, etc...

---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#5DraconisRexPosted 10/6/2012 12:09:27 PM
Lord_Kagato posted...
I'm thinking about getting GW2 since FFXIV is going down for a while as it shifts to A Realm Reborn servers. I've been wanting to try GW2 anyway, but I didn't want to get something that just wouldn't keep me interested for too long.

So, for those of you who have been playing for a while now, does the game still grip you, or is the magic starting to fade?

They opened at least one new server yesterday as they've reached the technical limitations on raising server-caps. So, apparently, most everyone is having a good time and are too busy to come to Troll Central and deal with the trolls who keep telling us the 'game is dying.'
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#6Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/6/2012 12:26:37 PM
DraconisRex posted...
Lord_Kagato posted...

They opened at least one new server yesterday as they've reached the technical limitations on raising server-caps. So, apparently, most everyone is having a good time and are too busy to come to Troll Central and deal with the trolls who keep telling us the 'game is dying.'

Why would they open a new server when two servers never go above medium? Makes 0 sense
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#7DraconisRexPosted 10/6/2012 12:29:16 PM
MSN 04 Sazabi posted...
Wow, look at the fanboyism spewing out of that post.

"Anyone who gives negative opinions about the game is a troll and should not be listened to"

Yes, ask only the people who are playing the game still. Of course they'll give a more favorable opinion ugh. Oh, I mean a "honest, good answer."

The game was fun for about 30 levels, then I realized I was doing the same thing over and over again with hardly any sense of progression. It's disappointing. There's no drive to keep playing - the skills you unlock later on aren't particularly interesting, have long cd's, the loot barely comes, the exploration is forced and artificial, etc...

No. Not really. Anyone who has given up at Level 30 has missed way too much to have an intelligent or worthwhile opinion, especially when it's combined with trolling and faux ennui...

No 'cool skills' for later... That's complete monkey shine. You have three tiers of skills work through before you can your first elite. And some of those are seriously cool. Hounds of Balthazar is a great racial. Or transform into a Snow Leopard like my Norn Ranger. My guardian's 'Tome' elite skills are both cool...

The engineer has some really cool skills, like Elixir X though I prefer Supply Crate... And have you ever tried "Tool Kit" on your Engineer? That's great if you're a turret guy... Mr Goodwrench with an attitude...

Have long CDs... Yeah, I guess if you need to learn to play, they do... But some of those skills reset your cooldowns and many traits substantially lower cool-downs or even proc skills that you're not even equipping for you at certain thresholds...

The loot gets better and comes faster as you level. Especially when you hit level 60 when it jumps substantially. Anyone who gave up at 30 wouldn't have a clue about this... When you hit 60 it's unusual to not get at least one or two 'rare' drops a gaming session.

And, last, there is no 'artificial' exploration. It's not phony like SWTOR's 'exploration' which was entirely linear and plot dependent. You go out there and just do stuff unless, of course, you're one of the mobs that just follow the hearts and DEs...

Yesterday I ended up two areas away from where I meant to go because I found this cave system that had no POIs, no hearts, no vistas, nothing... And it lead me to another area which sucked me into another area and before I knew it, I was totally off track and four levels higher than my personal story where I'd been heading...

Cost 2 silver to warp back to the closest gate and head off in the right direction, too...

So... Quits at 30, doesn't know how to build, missed the elites, missed the tougher mobs and followed the zerg & hearts... That's YOUR failure to take advantage of the game.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#8MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/6/2012 1:14:07 PM
Oh, you're one of the guys that give an "honest, good answer"

lmao

you make so many assumptions

How is the exploration not artificial? It's all guided. Go here, go there.

And I have 2 elite skills...

If a game can't keep me entertained until the last 1/4 of the levels, that's my fault for "not taking advantage" of the game...?
---
#9MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/6/2012 1:17:26 PM
Something I always see the fanboys say to a dissatisfied poster is "oh then this game just isn't for you! you should've done your reasearch!"

And then I see you guys say that everyone with criticism is a troll and should be ignored.

Hrm...
---
#10NordiniPosted 10/6/2012 1:23:02 PM
Except for a story quest, i have not been told to "go here" once. I've been all around the GW2 world and im level 37. I love exploring new areas and there has been no guide to tell me where to level.

And the answer would be "this game is not for you"

I got terribly bored of both Borderlands and Fallout 3 very early on in the games. Does that make it the games fault for not holding my interest? Does this mean they are terrible games? Well as far as many other gamers and critics go, they are some of the best games this generation.

Those games simply werent for me, but i acknowledge that they are still good games
---
Gentlemen know that embezzlement, insider trading,tax fraud and similar activities are not actually crimes.Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.