The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Should I buy Guild Wars 2?

#1MrreowPosted 10/6/2012 2:24:22 PM
I know this is going to be biased answers on the GW2 forum but >.>

Ok, I'm looking for a game that will last me a long time. I bought Diablo 3 for this reason but it ended up being really boring and repetitive at lvl 60. I want something that will keep me entertained for a long time and not just doing the same 1 dungeon a billion times.
---
^_^
#2horheristoPosted 10/6/2012 2:26:33 PM
Wait for first expansion.

It's not refined enough to have enough reply value, if you don't know what you're getting into.
#3Lunacy182Posted 10/6/2012 2:28:37 PM
You don't have to pay monthly for it so it really doesn't hurt to get it now versus later.
---
The above text is the opinion of the poster.
PSN/GT: Lunacy182
#4rainedownPosted 10/6/2012 2:31:17 PM
Buy it.

Honestly, end-game is very much PvP oriented in World Vs. World, and there's the different dungeon runs and all, but it's a one-time purchase that's on par with the pay-to-play games.

As a side note to someone buying it new: Maybe buy a few gems, but really, you can buy gems in-game with gold, and for a fairly marginal price. I'd say unless there's stuff you really, really want, or you want to start off strong with a big bank or extra characters or the Digital Deluxe edition; wait to earn the gold in-game and then buy gems. I have almost everything in the gem store unlocked and have not spent any extra cash on it at all.
#5MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/6/2012 3:03:28 PM(edited)
GW2 isn't what you're looking for then. Get torchlight or something heh.

It's repetitive and there isn't even the loot factor to keep you motivated. Your main skills are unlock very early on and there's no "endgame."

Or you could wait for D3's 1.05 to at least let you farm the other acts instead of act 3 10000x times.... <_>
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#6Q_SenseiPosted 10/6/2012 3:10:28 PM
I wouldn't bother.

This game is a mess that no expansion can fix. This game has a lot of good ideas, but it's created a lot of new problems with them. It'll be GW3 before they have a chance to learn from their mistakes and get it right.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#7Mrreow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 3:14:54 PM
MSN 04 Sazabi posted...
GW2 isn't what you're looking for then. Get torchlight or something heh.

It's repetitive and there isn't even the loot factor to keep you motivated. Your main skills are unlock very early on and there's no "endgame."

Or you could wait for D3's 1.05 to at least let you farm the other acts instead of act 3 10000x times.... <_>

Hi, I already have Torchlight 2. Its a fun game (I think its better than D3) but I'm looking for something more open and MMO-like. I used to play WoW but I got bored of that game.

Q_Sensei posted...
I wouldn't bother.

This game is a mess that no expansion can fix. This game has a lot of good ideas, but it's created a lot of new problems with them. It'll be GW3 before they have a chance to learn from their mistakes and get it right.

Could you maybe briefly go over some of the stuff you think is wrong with the game?
---
^_^
#8OzymandisPosted 10/6/2012 3:16:30 PM
Mrreow posted...
I know this is going to be biased answers on the GW2 forum but >.>

Ok, I'm looking for a game that will last me a long time. I bought Diablo 3 for this reason but it ended up being really boring and repetitive at lvl 60. I want something that will keep me entertained for a long time and not just doing the same 1 dungeon a billion times.

Guild Wars 2 is an awesome game, and I'd buy it. One nice part about it is that there's no subscription fee. It WILL last you a long time, but you can easy put it down for a month, play something else, and pick it back up, since it's free to do so. Also, it's competitive with or better than current P2P MMOs... it's better than the current state of World of Warcraft, for example.
---
"I'll turn you all into statues with liquid titanium-steel!"
#9Epic_Bear_GuyPosted 10/6/2012 3:19:36 PM
Wait for black ops 2
#10MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/6/2012 3:28:08 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/938738-guild-wars-2/reviews/review-151918

that review highlights the problems (the 7/10 one does too but it's freaking long)

q sensei has a review too that you can read

in short, combat tends to be repetitive zergs where people just autoattack. there's little sense of progression for either pve or pvp. there's no endgame. the quests are streamlined but not any better than other mmo's.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella