Should I buy Guild Wars 2?

#21MurderModePosted 10/6/2012 9:27:50 PM
You should listen to everyone on this board who is telling you how amazing it is and then buy it. Then in a weeks time when you are already bored with your purchase you can come back here and convey your disappointment, which in turn will label you as being a troll by those who duped you in the first place.
#22EnctPosted 10/6/2012 9:29:55 PM
If you're looking for something really open, there's not much more open than Everquest. People discount it because it's old but it sounds like it meets your criteria. There's no PvP at all though (and also no entrance fee, it's free to try).

My game of choice is Dungeon Fighter Online, but it really is about doing the same dungeon over and over again. Though it has great PvP (has had coke sponsored tournaments for the korean version).

Guild Wars 2 isn't bad but it felt pretty shallow to me. The combat didn't really "click" and it made PvP unenjoyable.
#23QuadForce878Posted 10/6/2012 9:55:20 PM
91% on Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

90.75% on Gameranking
http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/938738-guild-wars-2/index.html

No other MMORPG other than World of Warcraft has even gotten to a 90% average review rating from Video Game Journalism. As for the the people who post everyday on this forum on how this game sucks, they're usually just trolls. Normal gamers who dislike this game would just post their 2 Cents on why they didn't like GW2 and move on playing something else. Trolls on the other hand spend every day on this board trying demonize this game simply for "Schadenfreude" reasons or that they're insecure that WoW (which they will always deny playing) is on a decline like the Roman Empire.
#24Q_SenseiPosted 10/6/2012 10:03:20 PM
IndigoIce posted...

If you hate repetitiveness, gw2 is just for you.

I really don't know how you can say that with a straight face.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#25IndigoIcePosted 10/6/2012 10:20:45 PM
Q_Sensei posted...
IndigoIce posted...

Why? Is there a problem?
Among the few mmos I played, gw2 has the least grinding/repetitiveness.
We can go from one to another map for for dynamic events if we get bored level'ing.
It doesn't have strong addictive feature.
#26MurderModePosted 10/6/2012 10:52:10 PM
IndigoIce posted...
Q_Sensei posted...
IndigoIce posted...

Why? Is there a problem?
Among the few mmos I played, gw2 has the least grinding/repetitiveness.
We can go from one to another map for for dynamic events if we get bored level'ing.
It doesn't have strong addictive feature.

Lol, GW2 is only grinding/repetitiveness... and I'm sorry, but dynamic events only change whether or not you are grinding mobs to keep control of a hub, grinding mobs to resume control of one or grinding mobs between two hubs. Your opinion is a product of hype and advertising my friend
#27CruxisInhibitorPosted 10/7/2012 12:47:01 AM
The combat is shallow, trait system is superficial..skill design and structure makes you feel powerless. Game is very frustrating, loads of bugs, lots of failed concepts that need to be addressed, game is just not good. It really just is...not a good game. Bad difficulty scaling with enemies, ridiculous amounts of health, dungeons are designed very poorly, lack of class roles is frustrating and detracts from the experience. It's just very homogeneous. The root of the problem is the homogeneous classes and the shallow combat, everything else is less important. It's just designed poorly and there's no way to know other than to play.

Honestly, you should get the game, if only because it has the potential to be very, very excellent in a couple of years and multiple expansions. Right now it's miserable trash. I'd even go so far as to say the combat, downed state, and group dynamics are all non-working features. It just doesn't work, i feel. It's bad. Play to 80 and start doing some dungeons, you'll see what i mean. It's shallow, really frustrating, and there's no real engagement. Just zerg and incoherent design. It's horribly inconsistent.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#28DraconisRexPosted 10/7/2012 3:46:15 AM
Mrreow posted...
I know this is going to be biased answers on the GW2 forum but >.>

Ok, I'm looking for a game that will last me a long time. I bought Diablo 3 for this reason but it ended up being really boring and repetitive at lvl 60. I want something that will keep me entertained for a long time and not just doing the same 1 dungeon a billion times.

Let me point out a couple of things.

First, your thread is infested with trolls already. GFAQs, sadly, has gone to hell over the years and is no longer a good place to get advice. I'd suggest when you're reading the "don't buy this game" replies you ignore most of them as they're worthless as they're not conveying reasons, just hate.

Second, anymore I quit most MMOs I play within weeks. I'm happy to get a month out of them, then I move on because my MMO needs are not met by most MMOs. There have been some exceptions -- LOTRO, Eve Online and Fallen Earth -- two social-sandboxes and one social-heavy-story MMO (with robust crafting). This game does both. It has enough freedom of choice, crafting, resource gathering, exploration, etc. to do a good (albeit not great) job in scratching my sandbox/crafting itch. And the community (as well as the guild I'm in) is social. Not always CHATTY, but it is SOCIAL.

It also has surprising good stories. They're better than the space-magic, ham-fisted-aren't-you-special 1930s plagiarized space-opera as SWTOR. They're not quite as good as TSW.'s stories (to the extent I did any of them in beta) though. What I liked best about them is that, like all stories, they use common archtypes that are well executed and while I can see things coming down the pipe, they still managed to provoke an emotional response -- something I find most games completely incapable of doing. (Unlike the pseudo-jade trolls who are too busy hating everything to notice or feel.)

And, of course, you'll note I put 'social' in both MMO descriptions. If you're not social, you're going to find you're not going to get the most out of this MMO. It's a fine single-player MMO, but it's better (like all MMOs( when you're social and make ties.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#29MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/7/2012 6:49:14 AM
First, your thread is infested with fanboys already. GFAQs, sadly, has gone to hell over the years and is no longer a good place to get advice. I'd suggest when you're reading the "buy this game" replies you ignore most of them as they're worthless as they're not conveying reasons, just blind fanboyism.

Goes both ways.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#30GraybesPosted 10/7/2012 7:09:34 AM
Just to let you know TC, some the known resident trolls on this board are MSN 04 Sazabi, Q_Sensei, Epic_Bear_Guy, CruxisInhibitor...Now look at the posts in this topic and look at what these people wrote. I'm sure some of the other known trolls will show up in your topic but there have been 4 already.

This board is infested with them. And of course they will all claim that fanboys just can't handle the criticism. It isn't criticism anymore. You can look around the board and see these people constantly posting the same exact hate posts in sooo many threads and constantly creating hate threads themselves. All of us here have realized who these people are but new people like yourself may not have noticed yet.

Basically, you can't really get any real answer from what you are looking for. When it comes to popular games like this you will have tons of trolls spewing hate trying to get you to not try something. The game has no subscription and I would suggest you try it. Because by the time you get to the "end" of the game you will already get your monies worth. Try it and see if you enjoy it. Don't just base your purchase on what people say around here though. I know I'm telling you to try it but that is really the only way you can see if you actually like it. And being that it doesn't have a subscription, it isn't that much of a risk to try.
---
Responding to trolls since 2003.