Has this game hit 3 million players yet?

#41asdam_teabagPosted 10/7/2012 9:54:08 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
ilovemudding posted...
I'm gonna keep using this as a standard response for people who lack common sense:

http://imageshack.us/a/img100/6735/201210012200.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/4488/201210012227.jpg

In the 27 minutes it took to take both screenshots, I'm sure tons of transfers must have occurred.

Yeah, GW2 players are all nomads in their endless search for the perfect home server...

This is the part Katzachan vanishes and posts the same crap on another thread.

If the full status is based on players logged in, how can you possibly log into a full server?

I always could log into a full server and not be in overflow. Amazing how that just happens.

Are you really this blind? People aren't all logged into the same zone, they are spread out. Thats why.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dD8yx.gif
#42Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 9:57:52 AM
Duke Darkwood posted...
If the server status is bouncing between High and Full, that means that either people are transferring to/from the server, or Arena Net is increasing the capacity of the server.

The only problem with this is that we're now told the caps have reached some sort of technical upper limit, which is why they had to add a new one.

If the full status is based on players logged in, how can you possibly log into a full server?

And this has always nagged at me as the problem with the "based on logged in" argument.

So, has Arenanet, themselves, ever made an announcement on what determines population status?

I mean, you could log in and go to an overflow server but you really never do. Overflow is based on zone, not server. So you can always log into a server that's full, never go to overflow but you can go to overflow on a low populated server if everyone happens to be in that zone.

I honestly don't think there is a server cap for population, it's just based on accounts and it may mark full if x amount of accounts are created for that server and enough people are logged in, may mark it as full to route someone to another server

Example, Server B is High based on accounts created, but x amount of people log in, boost it to full to prevent new people from creating accounts.

and the server they created, does not matter there is that one server that is always medium population, why create an extra one if one server has never seen high

It has to be based on accounts due to WvW, because if that were not the case people would be on single servers, then they never could play due to the server hittings its actual population peak and WvW queues would be forever long if they allowed people to create accounts on servers, because if its based on population, the server population would drop down during certain hours of the day to allow more accounts to be created and since you can log into full servers, then that could create a problem.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#43Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 9:58:36 AM
asdam_teabag posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
ilovemudding posted...
I'm gonna keep using this as a standard response for people who lack common sense:

http://imageshack.us/a/img100/6735/201210012200.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/4488/201210012227.jpg

In the 27 minutes it took to take both screenshots, I'm sure tons of transfers must have occurred.

Yeah, GW2 players are all nomads in their endless search for the perfect home server...

This is the part Katzachan vanishes and posts the same crap on another thread.

I always could log into a full server and not be in overflow. Amazing how that just happens.

Are you really this blind? People aren't all logged into the same zone, they are spread out. Thats why.

Server is "Full" If it's at it's population peak, how can you possibly log in to.

If you can log in, it's obviously not full now is it.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#44darkrain108Posted 10/7/2012 10:00:41 AM
Katzachan posted...
Server population is based on total accounts on that server, rather than total accounts logged in. If the server status is bouncing between High and Full, that means that either people are transferring to/from the server, or Arena Net is increasing the capacity of the server.

Server capacities are in place to make sure the server shards aren't overloaded during peak hours - if the capacity was based on current players, you would have new accounts associated with the server during off hours, which would mean a larger and larger number of accounts could log in on peak hours, essentially bypassing the capacity cap in the first place.

Most MMOs which bind players to a specific server shard work like this. If, on the other hand, you have no set server for your character (For instance, Champion's Online), population is the number of coterminous users, because there's no need to "reserve" space on the server to make sure the population cap isn't exceeded.

Actually, the individual maps in GW2 work like this - if the map instance is "Full", you get moved to the overflow servers.

How does this not make perfect sense? If a server is full, no more accounts can be added to it. You can still log in to it if you have space reserved for you (thus it is your 'home' server).

Within each home server is a set of instances, and those are capped on number of active players at the time. If there are too many active players, you get put in overflow.

How hard is this to really understand?

As for those screenshots, it could only take one person transferring to put a server from full to high if it is on the borderline. We don't know thresholds for those kinds of things, so the screenshots lack proof for argument.
---
i5-2500k@4.2ghz/8GB Ripjaws PC3 10666/XFX Radeon 5850 1GB/Westinghouse 24"LCD/WD Blue 500GB/WD Blue 640GB/Creative Fatality Pro/G15 Keyboard/CM Storm Mouse
#45Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 10:02:36 AM
and to top it off, there are no servers, it's technically one huge server with different shards. In argument to that, how can you log into a full server, and not go into a server log in overflow. If the server is full, you should not be able to be part of that server without being in an overflow period.

Server populations are basically the same most of the time, any time of the day, even after shutdown, log in soon as the servers go live it's still the same population, I never seen a game where server's fill up so fast.
---
#46IndigoIcePosted 10/7/2012 10:03:53 AM
I feel that GW2 is already successful.
It's a great game with fresh system. People buy anything that's fresh and something different from other products before.

It's one of the reasons why they don't want to place subscription fee onto this game.
Since they're already taking a bold step to negate typical mmo issues but introduce other negative issues unconsciously. (E.g. Scaling down level helps players feel fair in a map, but it made high-level players feel unrewarded for being a high level player. The pros and cons.)
#47darkrain108Posted 10/7/2012 10:27:09 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Server populations are basically the same most of the time, any time of the day, even after shutdown, log in soon as the servers go live it's still the same population, I never seen a game where server's fill up so fast.

That's because they don't 'fill up' like you think they do. It's the same any time of day because no on has transferred in and out of it.
---
i5-2500k@4.2ghz/8GB Ripjaws PC3 10666/XFX Radeon 5850 1GB/Westinghouse 24"LCD/WD Blue 500GB/WD Blue 640GB/Creative Fatality Pro/G15 Keyboard/CM Storm Mouse
#48arik87Posted 10/7/2012 10:48:26 AM
Back at it I see.
---
This message brought to you by Webster's Dictionary. Fighting Ebonics since 1994.
#49Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 10:52:44 AM
arik87 posted...
Back at it I see.

I found all my eggs I needed
---
#50ilovemuddingPosted 10/7/2012 2:21:51 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Way to avoid it.

You have no answer for why people can log into a full server and not ever go into an overflow.

Thanks for proving my POINT.

Drones be droning.

I avoid Creationists, yes.

You don't prove the theory of Creationism by finding loopholes in the evolution theory.

If you have a theory, state it, and prove it.

And I actually answered your question in the fourth paragraph. Although as I predicted correctly in the third paragraph, you didn't read it.

Can you be any more predictable?