My opinions on the game

#1musumanePosted 10/7/2012 9:18:23 AM
Before I get called a troll for pointing out negatives AND positives, I just want to post my rating of the game, 8/10. So by no means am I going to call this a bad game,but it does have some GLARING flaws.

Flaws

1) Lack of progression. There isn't a reason to get 80 besides traits, skill points, and being able to do higher level dungeons. While people will say this is like most MMORPGs, I find that not having real skill progression, lack of "feeling " stronger, and everything being a zerge fest ( minus dungeons ) makes it feel like you aren't getting any better than when you started.

2) Lack of customization. Before I get bashed for this I want to say there are a good amount of character customization choices. The main issue with the game is that for the first 50 or so levels ( longer depending on what type of armour you wear ) your appearance doesn't really change too much and you don't have a lot of options to change your appearance. They offer you all these transmutation stones but give you nothing to really use them on.

3) Crafting. While I enjoy crafting, I feel you can only effectively do it if one of three things happen. A) You are level 80, B) You sell gems to gold,C) You spend your time farming nodes instead of map events. To me doing it at 80 has no benefits, but you can't reasonable do it in lower levels because you don't have a decent way of getting materials.

4) The community. While this is not a flaw of the game and I do not hold it against Guild Wars 2, the community of this game is......one of a few extremes.A) Dead(doesn't talk ), B) Sheep mentality, or C) " This game is free after I buy it, so stop playing for a few months if you don't like it and come back anytime you want", this is NOT a valid defense, as EVERY MMORPG gives you the ability to come backwhenever you want/can afford to.

Positives

1) Overall I feel the game plays very smooth. There is no "clunkyness " of other MMORPG's

2) The seperation of PVP activities and PVE activies. To me this is the best idea a MMORPG has ever had. Don't want to play PVE and just want to play battles? Go for PVP and don't worry about it. This idea does have a few negatives ( such as splitting the community and getting rid of possible reasons to want to progress your character ) but I do feel this was a great idea.

Do I feel the game is "dying"? No I do not, I do however feel they need to release an expansion "soon" ( next 4 months or so ) to keep people wanting to play, and bring some people who put it down back into the game.I also feel they need to "lock in" the cash shop into the model they want it to be in. It seems like they are on the fence about cosmetic changes ( dyes costumes ) and "lucky boxes " ( keys) , and boosts ( boosters )
---
Haku (or Jinsei Shinzaki or whatever name he goes by nowadays) is badass.! - 619King
#2ArcticPlaguePosted 10/7/2012 9:43:06 AM
Good, honest opinion of the game. I would also like to see an expansion as well, I'd be willing to dish out money for one. It'd be nice to see a new playable race or two, among other things.
#3steker16Posted 10/7/2012 10:09:05 AM(edited)
you're first 3 "flaws" are pretty dumb. gear treadmills are not the only type of progression, people are just conditioned to think it is because every other MMO has taken that route. there are plenty of ways to customize, just because its not apparent in the early game doesnt mean you can just discount it as a whole, almost every MMO has your characters looking like a circus freak for the early parts of the game. and crafting is MOST effective when you're NOT level 80. taking a craft from 1-400 is equal to 10 levels worth of XP. now you arent going from 1-400 in one sitting without an 80 to fund it, but its not hard to keep it somewhat up to date as you go. hell i kept jewel crafting and tailoring mostly up to date on my very first character i made during headstart. go out and clear zones for a while, go back and craft yourself another couple levels here and there, pretty simple.
---
nomnomnom
#4musumane(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 10:14:24 AM
steker16 posted...
you're first 3 "flaws" are pretty dumb. gear treadmills are not the only type of progression, people are just conditioned to think it is because every other MMO has taken that route. there are plenty of ways to customize, just because its not apparent in the early game doesnt mean you can just discount it as a whole, almost every MMO has your characters looking like a circus freak for the early parts of the game. and crafting is MOST effective when you're NOT level 80. taking a craft from 1-400 is equal to 10 levels worth of XP. now you arent going from 1-400 in one sitting without an 80 to fund it, but its not hard to keep it somewhat up to date as you go. hell i kept jewel crafting and tailoring mostly up to date on my very first character i made during headstart. go out and clear zones for a while, go back and craft yourself another couple levels here and there, pretty simple.

My point is they offer you all these transmutation stones in early levels yet give you no intensive to actually use them until dungeon gear.

And I said crafting was good at 80, I said that you can EFFECTIVELY do it at 80. And I never said gear treadmills were the only way to progress, I said also noted skill progression, and strength (level ) progression. Since everything scales you don't feel a sense of getting stronger.

Yes you look like a cirus freak in other MMORPGs, but they offer a multitude of different costumes in the cash shop, but don't offer the ability to skin. With the ability to skin, people with money should be able to look good. The way GW2 is set up, if you want to look good you have to pretty much get 80 first, which I feel is a major flaw ( point out in customization, and the need for them to decide what type of cash shop they want )
---
Haku (or Jinsei Shinzaki or whatever name he goes by nowadays) is badass.! - 619King
#5IndigoIcePosted 10/7/2012 10:53:54 AM
musumane posted...
I find that not having real skill progression, lack of "feeling " stronger, and everything being a zerge fest ( minus dungeons ) makes it feel like you aren't getting any better than when you started.

I absolutely agree with this.
The game lacks of making players feel rewarded after each progression.

End-game is the same. It doesn't motivates me for earning legendary nor dunguen equipments because it won't make my character feel stronger, special nor superior. Acquiring them only feels like making my character have more variety of appearance.

I understand it's gw2 intentional designed feature. However, it's important for a mmo to make players feel constantly feel "rewarded" each time. That's how it makes players have this certain desire to play. Playing gw2 for a month made me begun to miss from the mmos I played previously. I miss the time where lower level mobs deal 0-1 damage to me because I took effort to farm and enhanced "godly equipments". Improving gears in end-game is one of the reasons why I stick to a mmo. When we have gears or stats that hardly anyone else have acquire, we feel special and accomplished something.

Players should watch this anime video to get what I mean of feeling "rewarded" from the efforts.
The "reward" that sets apart high and low level players.

Link - http://youtu.be/Z50jgTe7ccI?hd=1
#6therulah11Posted 10/7/2012 11:11:52 AM
I agree with every word of the TC. I was just inside that Guild Wars World, and felt, well....like I've done it all. I bought this game about 3 days ago, played around with the lil cutscenes and everything PVE had to offer. The fighting is purely fun, and can easily be the best thing the game has to offer!! I then made the mistake of travelling to the PVP side.....whats the point, im level 80. Im over here now, thrown into the frying pan, with all these new skills ready for me to spew off....and all it is....a glitchamania fest!!! We got players clicking and sooo resilient to losing it all just dony make sense
#7Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/7/2012 11:22:07 AM
steker16 posted...

"I don't like this person's opinion there for it's dumb"
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#8NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 10/7/2012 11:37:11 AM(edited)
I disagree about crafting. It's possible to do it at a reasonable pace even with a fresh account, especially now that the TP is up and the market has stabilized for the most part. All I did on my first character was pick up any nodes that were in my path while exploring around and salvage white items and I had a pretty decent stock of materials even when the TP was down for the first couple of weeks. Anyone starting now should be able to use the TP to supplement what they get just by wandering around without breaking the bank.
#9MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/7/2012 11:28:21 AM
Oh my god you guys are all trolls! You're not lower to post anything negative about this game on this board!! This game is flawless, the new standard for all games! We all love it!
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#10sbookstaPosted 10/7/2012 11:31:47 AM
You can't approach this game with the goal of getting to level 80. Setting goals related to character progression is resigning one's experience to a grind. Setting goals related to quests, zones, event chains and such is much more enjoyable.
---
"actually the point of the sith code is to be extremely emotional, which leads to hate which leads to blah blah blah chains are broken" - PoultryMonk