game runs terribly on my computer but I can run top end games smoothly?

#1falcon182Posted 10/8/2012 7:32:11 AM
I'm so confused about this right now, I have an alienware m17x r3 3d with an i7 8gb rab nvidia 460M 3d card (don't wreck on the computer, it was a birthday present for my 21st, my dad heard it was the best and picked it oout for me). I run games like borderlands maxed smoothly, and the witcher 2 on mostly high smoothly but I' bought GW2 last night, so excited to play it and I'm only getting 20fps on the lowest settings? How can this be possible. On all max I get 10-15fps and I was expecting my computer to max this game no problem, I've never had a problem with games running so horribly for me before. This is just on the tutorial too, not even WvW.

Any tips to get this game running to a solid 30fps on max preferably? I know something is up because my computer handles games pretty well, something must be wrong. I know laptops aren't ideal for gaming, and Alienwares are over priced but if I can near max The Witcher 2 smoothly, I should be able to max this game. Any help appreciated, thanks.
#2yakkacruzPosted 10/8/2012 7:42:40 AM
are your video card drivers updated?
---
. . . I'm a genius, not an engineer! - Aramis
#3EtherBunny66Posted 10/8/2012 7:43:32 AM
yakkacruz posted...
are your video card drivers updated?

^ this, yea something is wrong.. this game even on max settings isnt crazy demanding on your computer.
---
Sooner or later it was going to catch up with you. You'd find that Lady Luck was really a hooker, and you were fresh out of cash. - Max Payne
#4falcon182(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 7:48:29 AM
I'm using the latest Geforce R304 driver version 306.23. Anyone else with a nvidia card having a similar issue?
#5YushimiPosted 10/8/2012 7:58:23 AM
Let's wait for NCPawn and his Macbook. :P
---
There is a rare mythical button called "Search" that likes to answer questions; however, it often blends in with its surroundings to remain hidden.
#6souljah11Posted 10/8/2012 8:13:32 AM
Something is definetly up. Im using geforce350 and get 40plus on high setting. You have a way better card.
Try redownload the game, update drivers, Check the tempature.
#7foodeater4Posted 10/8/2012 8:18:55 AM
Might want to head to nvidia.com and try the beta drivers or something. I know when the game launch 306 helped a lot of people. Im still using them with no issues.
#8DGM09Posted 10/8/2012 8:32:17 AM
See if you're also forcing Super-sample AA through the GPU's control panel and, if you are, switch to Multi-sample and see if it's any better.
---
Bang.
#9NCPwnPosted 10/8/2012 9:01:49 AM
Every game is programmed differently. Some better than others. You can't just compare game x to game y and expect it to work. Even games from the same company like wow vs diablo.

With that said, my 2 year old Macbook Pro runs this game super fine.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#10runboy81Posted 10/8/2012 9:17:15 AM
The game is very badly optimized. But most people don't know how to properly update drivers and that's usually the main reason for crappy performance.