The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This game could do with a complete overhaul of combat mechanics

#1UltraCookiePosted 10/9/2012 1:30:20 AM
No need to elaborate, we all know what the general consensus is, but I pose the question: How would you go about it? How could ANet salvage the game without building it from the ground up?
#2Bullshifty12Posted 10/9/2012 1:39:59 AM
UltraCookie posted...
No need to elaborate

Actually, there is.
#3PijinzPosted 10/9/2012 2:07:11 AM
They could keep the same engine, but to fix the game you'd need to basically throw out all of the classes and ability sets and start from there. And add in some sort of group mechanics.

If it were me I'd formalize the weapon/utility/elite divide a bit better. Weapon skills should be predominantly for damage. There are weapon sets out there with one auto-attack and the rest utility based. Five buttons for damage is alright, so long as you make use of all five. Utilities shouldn't be trinkets; that's what elites are supposed to be. Utilities should be movement skills and crowd control. Also, no abilities should have passive effects, and nothing should have a cooldown longer than 60 seconds; you've only got 11-14 buttons so you really don't want incentives to not push them.

Alternate weapon skills for each set that you can pick and mix between would be nice. That could also double up as a much needed progression mechanic through the game. More choice is better.

I'd also make a second weapon swap available. Unlike the usual swap, it would put all of your abilities on cooldown when you switched, to prevent it from being used for burst damage. The incentive behind this is that melee classes are often forced into taking a ranged weapon just in case they ever get stuck in ranged combat., and this means the proper weapon swap gets wasted. This way they could take two melee sets to switch between during regular combat, and in an emergency they still get to swap to a ranged weapon.
#4UltraCookie(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 2:31:36 PM
Pijinz posted...
They could keep the same engine, but to fix the game you'd need to basically throw out all of the classes and ability sets and start from there. And add in some sort of group mechanics.

If it were me I'd formalize the weapon/utility/elite divide a bit better. Weapon skills should be predominantly for damage. There are weapon sets out there with one auto-attack and the rest utility based. Five buttons for damage is alright, so long as you make use of all five. Utilities shouldn't be trinkets; that's what elites are supposed to be. Utilities should be movement skills and crowd control. Also, no abilities should have passive effects, and nothing should have a cooldown longer than 60 seconds; you've only got 11-14 buttons so you really don't want incentives to not push them.

Alternate weapon skills for each set that you can pick and mix between would be nice. That could also double up as a much needed progression mechanic through the game. More choice is better.

I'd also make a second weapon swap available. Unlike the usual swap, it would put all of your abilities on cooldown when you switched, to prevent it from being used for burst damage. The incentive behind this is that melee classes are often forced into taking a ranged weapon just in case they ever get stuck in ranged combat., and this means the proper weapon swap gets wasted. This way they could take two melee sets to switch between during regular combat, and in an emergency they still get to swap to a ranged weapon.

Quality post.
#5NCPwnPosted 10/9/2012 2:38:58 PM
Just copy GW1.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#6joncoallstarPosted 10/9/2012 2:50:20 PM
No need to elaborate? Are we all supposed to be psychic or something?

Also, I hope you are not implying that you speak for all of us, because you don't. Not even close.
#7TheCrazed420Posted 10/9/2012 2:56:03 PM
All I would change is shorter cool downs on skills and on weapon swaps, and buff up elites a bit.

I'm quite happy with the combat system as is, but that would make me happier.
#8MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/9/2012 3:12:39 PM
joncoallstar posted...
No need to elaborate? Are we all supposed to be psychic or something?

Also, I hope you are not implying that you speak for all of us, because you don't. Not even close.

Because this topic is about what people think should be done to improve it.

It's not a topic about whether or not the combat is shallow/homegenous/whatever.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#9MSN 04 SazabiPosted 10/9/2012 3:15:55 PM
Anyways, a combat mode like that autohotkey thing would be nice. And much reduced cooldown's on skills 7-0.

The only skills I can choose I hardly get to use..??
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#10SteadySharkPosted 10/9/2012 3:49:55 PM
Need more (viable) skill choices - and multiple weapon skill choices.
---
GT/PSN = SteadiestShark - 3DS: 3866-8210-5918
DOA5 - Hitomi & Hayate. http://steadiestshark.wordpress.com/