Why is it called Guardian? It's pretty much a Paladin

#21valkod23Posted 10/11/2012 1:17:53 AM
Duke Darkwood posted...
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-07/art/dff-cecil-paladin.jpg

Couldn't resist.

In fantasy literature/games, a paladin is basically a "Holy Knight". They are warriors who have divinely-granted powers, whether you call it "cleric magic" or "white magic" or whatever else. In some settings, they can also heal with the laying-on of hands (this derives from D&D, where they have that exact ability). D&D also sets the archetype of paladins always being Lawful Good - to reflect the fact that the historical inspirations for them were knights who lived by strict codes of honor. Which few historical knights actually did; the paladin is the archetypical Knight In Shining Armor.

The origin of the term is indeed from the excerpt that the above poster quoted from something, but that term applied only to a single group of knights. The inspiration for fantasy paladins draws from a wider selection, ranging from Charlemagne to Arthurian legend (the Knights of the Round Table, of course) to the Crusaders to who knows what else. St. George and Joan of Arc would probably qualify, as well as various other notable individuals, historical or legendary, throughout the Middle Ages. (For some reason, people associate the concept of the paladin with the Christian faith and western knights, although I am sure there are similar exemplars worldwide.)

In Guild Wars 2, we have five races of varying faiths, including one atheistic one. The term "paladin" carries inherent religious connotations - therefore, we call them Guardians. Their code: to mend and defend.

Purple lipstick and weeaboo on paladins? Nevermind the clunky and impractical armor, the whole thing looks beyond stupid.
---
PSN: Valkod
Playing Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.
#22Bigj089Posted 10/11/2012 2:01:05 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...
What's a paladin?

I owe you a beer for that one.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#23arvilinoPosted 10/11/2012 2:14:27 AM
Guardians should be called Wammo's, if you've played the Original Guildwars anyway.
#24VeonVoidPosted 10/11/2012 6:34:40 AM
Charr's don't believe in god(s) and Paladins are usually associated to a patron deity. Also, since when can Paladins summon attack drone Spirit Weapons?
#25luinksPosted 10/11/2012 6:44:43 AM
Ubergrim3 posted...
What's a paladin?

nothing but a miserable pile of virtues!
---
http://i45.tinypic.com/w7mqs9.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/f2owhk.gif
#26SugandPosted 10/11/2012 6:58:51 AM
valkod23 posted...
Purple lipstick and weeaboo on paladins? Nevermind the clunky and impractical armor, the whole thing looks beyond stupid.

One of the coolest paladins in video games, you have bad taste, and you should feel bad for having it.
---
Please bring back Nishino to Gamba!
#27NCPwnPosted 10/11/2012 7:32:32 AM
why is it called an engineer? should be a chemist. I know I don't deal in alchemy at my job.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#28SlurpstwoPosted 10/11/2012 8:38:21 AM
Aries489 posted...
Topic

go level and keep your mind busy
#29Lupin the 4thPosted 10/11/2012 10:07:05 AM
The question is if Guardians can turn undead and lay on hands then, isn't it? ;)
---
The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again! Ha Ha Ha!)
-Lupin III: Stealing jewels and schooling fools since 1967-
#30easymodexzPosted 10/11/2012 10:35:48 AM
Since when did the "Paladin" concept become compatible with pyromania?

Because that's what Guardians do.