Gamespy article on bots in Guild Wars 2

#1Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/4/2012 5:57:09 PM
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1226506p1.html

These groups were kind of funny at first, in a "Oh, look how obvious the bots are," kind of way. It stopped being funny a week later. Yet another week later it was annoying. Now, two months after launch, it's an ugly blemish. It's like graffiti, or trash left lying in the streets.

This lackadaisical approach to offensive names isn't an isolated issue. A few weeks after launch, some folks in my guild noticed a guild called **** Slayers, with the guild tag ***. We reported them. A month later, a thread about the same guild appeared on Reddit. The poster claimed he had reported them several times as long ago as August to no avail. An ArenaNet representative apologized for not taking action. They had missed the poster's reports, the representative said. What kind of game allows a guild called **** Slayers and the guild tag [***] to play unchecked for nearly two months despite numerous players reporting it? Guild Wars 2, that's what kind of game.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#2Panther85Posted 11/4/2012 6:31:51 PM
I had to research the post because those asterisks had me curious. I agree though it is a little ridiculous seeing those groups of bots running around in their skivvies.
---
"How can one throw away the precious blood his parent gave to him ?" , Xiahou Dun upon swallowing his eye
#3lilj812Posted 11/4/2012 7:32:26 PM
They probably stopped paying attention for a lil bit, too busy counting all the money they made off this game. It's a huge success but hopefully they don't start slipping up.

As an individual though I could not care less botting or curse words. Neither of them affect me personally so I don't care about them, simple as that.
---
NCPwn: Many of you don't know, but I've been battling a weight problem....
#4whytscythePosted 11/4/2012 9:32:26 PM
this is game director Colin Johanson's reply when the same thread went up on the official forums;

Hey folks,
Since it has been a few weeks since we gave an update on this, just wanted to quickly update where we stand. We recently hired an entire new team of people with one mission in mind: operation bot destruction.

Theyíve been getting everything in place to accomplish our goal of making botting, hacking, spamming, and malicious behavior as non-existent as possible in Gw2. In the last few weeks, over 10,000 bot accounts were banned from the game alone. Another area of massive improvement has been in account security, where our two-factor authentication as well as your password changes have led to account thefts dropping to a tiny rate. A vast majority of account thieves use those accounts to run bots and/or perform RMT transactions, so our serious beefing up of account security has led to fewer bots, and most importantly fewer stolen accounts. That being said, we have massive improvements on the way in the next couple of weeks that help us detect, verify, and remove botters.

What we donít want to do is have someone report you as botting, we ban the account, the bot appeals, and we have no data to prove they were botting on file so we have to give them the account back. Ensuring we have 100% clear data on bots thatís incredibly easy for our GM team to quickly verify, and when an appeal is submitted verify within seconds if the person was truly botting is our most important goal. We donít want to ban people who were not botting, and we want to keep the people who are permanently locked out.

Bottom line: Weíre doing ok, but we know we can and need to do much better on this front and are putting massive resources behind ensuring we have a permanent solution to this issue. Youíll see a dramatic improvement in this area in the next few weeks as our remaining detection and bot destruction tools and staff come online.
Weíll continue to keep updating on this front as we go forward, but rest assured we are aware of issues folks are raising and take them incredibly seriously. From FOV to bots, account restoration to more awesome stuff to do at level 80 we have teams working like mad on all of these fronts.
#5NofoundationPosted 11/4/2012 9:40:04 PM
............but without bots the zones would be emptier
---
"An account created 7 years ago is my alt"-Warhammeronl speaking about DarkSoulPriest
#6Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2012 9:40:47 PM
whytscythe posted...
this is game director Colin Johanson's reply when the same thread went up on the official forums;

Hey folks,
Since it has been a few weeks since we gave an update on this, just wanted to quickly update where we stand. We recently hired an entire new team of people with one mission in mind: operation bot destruction.

Theyíve been getting everything in place to accomplish our goal of making botting, hacking, spamming, and malicious behavior as non-existent as possible in Gw2. In the last few weeks, over 10,000 bot accounts were banned from the game alone. Another area of massive improvement has been in account security, where our two-factor authentication as well as your password changes have led to account thefts dropping to a tiny rate. A vast majority of account thieves use those accounts to run bots and/or perform RMT transactions, so our serious beefing up of account security has led to fewer bots, and most importantly fewer stolen accounts. That being said, we have massive improvements on the way in the next couple of weeks that help us detect, verify, and remove botters.

What we donít want to do is have someone report you as botting, we ban the account, the bot appeals, and we have no data to prove they were botting on file so we have to give them the account back. Ensuring we have 100% clear data on bots thatís incredibly easy for our GM team to quickly verify, and when an appeal is submitted verify within seconds if the person was truly botting is our most important goal. We donít want to ban people who were not botting, and we want to keep the people who are permanently locked out.

Bottom line: Weíre doing ok, but we know we can and need to do much better on this front and are putting massive resources behind ensuring we have a permanent solution to this issue. Youíll see a dramatic improvement in this area in the next few weeks as our remaining detection and bot destruction tools and staff come online.
Weíll continue to keep updating on this front as we go forward, but rest assured we are aware of issues folks are raising and take them incredibly seriously. From FOV to bots, account restoration to more awesome stuff to do at level 80 we have teams working like mad on all of these fronts.

So I assume they banned the wrong people, a lot of people were banned for botting/gold selling wrongfully. According to the official forums, seems like they need to figure out how to operate an MMO or there will not be an MMO to operate.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#7Edavy89Posted 11/4/2012 11:26:53 PM
trying too hard.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#8kingofthekidsPosted 11/4/2012 11:34:45 PM
They banned people whose accounts had been stolen and used by botters/gold sellers. But nice try, Xeeh.
#9TimePharaohPosted 11/5/2012 12:32:46 AM
10,000 accounts? And that's in a short period of time...yikes how many is the bot problem, half the game? Is anyone actually playing this?
---
Sorry everyone, just got home from work and saw my son was posting on my account. So just ignore this topic. Megatron1111
#10AmiadonPosted 11/5/2012 12:41:39 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
10,000 accounts? And that's in a short period of time...yikes how many is the bot problem, half the game? Is anyone actually playing this?

No. Everyone is a bot, including all us posters. In fact, your entire family are secret robots.
---
Emasculating 16 year-old keyboard warriors, one game at a time. Sisters of Swagger, represent!