why is guild wars 2 adding the gear treadmill?

#31CruxisInhibitorPosted 11/12/2012 12:05:35 PM
george43 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
george43 posted...
juzzieb posted...
<

It's a new tier, and what is that called?

Treadmill.

It's not a new tier in gear grind terms.

It's a new category of gear.

The new acesnded gear is to exotics as exotics are to masterwork.

Nothing will ever top acsended gear most likely.

Really, it's still a treadmill, better gear.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Infusion

Infusion existed in GW1 and ascended armor sounds exactly like this.

So lol @ you.

Infusion didn't slap you on a gear treadmill in GW1, it just protected you from Mursaat annihilation...drone much?
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#32RandomsnPosted 11/12/2012 12:11:00 PM
tehdud posted...
Basically them folding and admitting their current game idea fails.

Not until they start adding new armor tiers on a regular basis. It makes sense to add new armor with new challenge level of content, it doesn't make sense to make patches just to introduce said armor sets for people to grind for. Now, are they planning to keep adding new content like this periodically with new armor tiers? I kinda doubt that, but we shall see. If anything, it'll be a steady stream of new things to do (but hopefully not new things we have to grind for).
#33luinksPosted 11/12/2012 12:25:44 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
And if they did THAT, you people would be complaining about how Anet's too lazy to make new armors! There's now winning with you.

Can't tell if you're intentionally misreading what people are actually saying, or if you really don't have a clue.

He's saying that instead of creating a new gear set, they should have upgraded the old ones, right?

no, upgrades to the old exotics in adition to the new tier, so you can use your new shiny armor to prove you have beaten the dungeon if you want to "show off" or the armor set you like to wear and carefully crafted/transmuted/mix-matched
---
http://i45.tinypic.com/w7mqs9.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/f2owhk.gif
#34Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2012 12:29:31 PM
Randomsn posted...
tehdud posted...

Not until they start adding new armor tiers on a regular basis. It makes sense to add new armor with new challenge level of content, it doesn't make sense to make patches just to introduce said armor sets for people to grind for. Now, are they planning to keep adding new content like this periodically with new armor tiers? I kinda doubt that, but we shall see. If anything, it'll be a steady stream of new things to do (but hopefully not new things we have to grind for).

So WoW's gear system makes sense then, thanks for admitting it.

They release new tier gear, along with new higher challenge dungeons/raids to obtain it.

So why you guys QQing about a gear system anyway? LOL, a lot of two faced individuals play this game
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#35curious_deadPosted 11/12/2012 12:33:24 PM
Iím not sure we can judge how itíll turn out before itís live. People saying ďOMG gear threadmill, game now sucksĒ or ďOMG, gear threadmill, they admitted game suckedĒ are talking out of their rear ends Ė we have no idea if itís going to be a real ďthreadmillĒ.

Even if they were adding ďtiersĒ of gear over time, if the difference in stats is barely noticeable, it will mean we wonít have to plow through instance after instance to gear up and do the new content, since the difference in power is likely to be thin. And at the same time, it gives an extra incentive for people who are already decked in full exotics.

Anyway, Iíve never seen yet anyone checking for gear at level 80 before doing a dungeon. Iím not saying it doesnít happen, just that Iíd think most people who played till 80 know how little gear actually matters; itís a crutch for bad players to rely on and it makes things go a bit more smoothly, but isnít a make-it-or-break-it matter. A few points more at level 80 isnít likely to change that.

Now, if those items are much more powerful and they introduce yet another tier that is, again, vastly more powerful, now gear will eventually become mandatory. That would bug me a bit, but I donít care either way, itíll mean new content, and thatís good.
#36RandomsnPosted 11/12/2012 12:34:03 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Randomsn posted...
tehdud posted...

They release new tier gear, along with new higher challenge dungeons/raids to obtain it.

So why you guys QQing about a gear system anyway? LOL, a lot of two faced individuals play this game

Not what I said, nice try though. What I think will happen is they will not release any more tiers of armor until their first expansion hits at least, even if they keep adding new zones, etc. Maybe they just want to add new level of armor on par with legendary weapons? Maybe this is their "legendary" armor? Idk, we shall see.

Also WoW had this thing called seasons where basically the whole pvp scene was periodcially reset just so people could grind for new gear all over again.
#37Duke DarkwoodPosted 11/12/2012 12:46:22 PM
What is the source on all this? I don't see any mention in their main page, my login notes, or the Announcements forum.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#38GoatJugSoupPosted 11/12/2012 1:35:07 PM
waaaaaah no gear treadmill...

something sort of like that appears in game

waaaaaah too much gear

0_o
YOU PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY!
---
http://psnprofiles.com/goatjugsoup1278
GW2 Character Name: Ranger Goat of Yogi, Guild: Knights of Chicken
#39ReikkenPosted 11/12/2012 1:37:02 PM
no, it's a different set of people crying
---
Capitalism, ho!
#40Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2012 1:38:10 PM
Randomsn posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Randomsn posted...
tehdud posted...

Not what I said, nice try though. What I think will happen is they will not release any more tiers of armor until their first expansion hits at least, even if they keep adding new zones, etc. Maybe they just want to add new level of armor on par with legendary weapons? Maybe this is their "legendary" armor? Idk, we shall see.

Also WoW had this thing called seasons where basically the whole pvp scene was periodcially reset just so people could grind for new gear all over again.

Yeah, not after 2 months of release lol
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12