why is guild wars 2 adding the gear treadmill?

#51DefiladePosted 11/12/2012 2:54:51 PM
I have to agree with the trolls for once. Anyone defending this decision is just a blind fool. Anet clearly stated there would be no gear treadmill and to add a more powerful tier of gear 3 months after release(with a whooping one week prior warning) is a huge mistake.

If anet told me at launch they do intend to add a "slightly" more powerful set of gear a few months down the road that is one thing, but I have already dumped countless amounts of gold and time working on my characters(and they still aren't complete). So now, I have 3 80s with full exotics that will be required to acquire the next best thing just to stay at the level.

At least in WoW you know when the next tier is coming and you can hoard mats/gold in preparation.. I mean wtf.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.5 / Asrock z68 pro3 / GTX 570 TF III PE / G Skill 8gb 1600 / Antec HCG 620w / HAF 922
#52clowningPosted 11/12/2012 3:01:49 PM
It's not surprising, really. ANeT said GW2 was a great game for MMORPGers and SPRPGers alike. Then they found out that SPRGRers don't care for it all that much because their whole "this is my story" business is total bunk, along with the home instance that was going to be individualized based on what the player does throughout the game. Both things are barely there, and the SPRPGers got burned.

So now they have to turn to the MMORPGers, and guess what they want? Gear treadmills, dungeons, raids, and basically the same thing every MMORPG has. So it's not surprising to see ANeT do this.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#53Ness0123456789Posted 11/12/2012 3:04:22 PM
Reikken posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
...Why are people upset at this?

because it will affect WvW in the slightest. Yes, it will be pretty slight (unless the difference between this new tier and exotic turns out not to be slight), but it will most certainly affect it.

See what I posted.

It's going to affect WvW no more than the upscaling of lower levels to 80 has.

If WvW was level 80 only, than you'd have a point. But so long as they continue to allow lower levels into the maps without up-scaling their stats to balance them like in Structured PvP, it's going to make no difference what so ever in the already broken balance of the game mode.

That's exactly why you have Structured PvP anyways. WvW is just a glorified PvE meets forced PvP.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#54Edavy89Posted 11/12/2012 3:08:21 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Hey xeeh, can we trade lives? I wish I had so much free time that i could spend all day flaming the message boards of a game I don't even like. Instead i'm stuck having a productive life. :-(

'eh, get a job where you can internetz instead of a manual labor job with no access to a PC.

Eh, I'll stick to owning my own highly profitable business, working for other people doesn't work for me. besides, why the hell would I want to sit on my butt in an office all day? that seems incredibly redundant and boring. I much prefer being a mason.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#55Sophie89Posted 11/12/2012 3:32:27 PM
TS and the people who agree to him are idiots. Are you even playing the game?

to get on the topic, they are adding a new RARITY, not more tiers of equipments.
and the new rarity is BETWEEN exotic and legendary.
Why?
Easy, because the difference between exotic and legendary is almost 0, except the cooler looks.
Its not a treadmill at all they are adding there.

When they buff legendaries now, its like the new rarity was there from the beginning and its worth making them.
---
[EU] MH3 ID: Z98KXV - Hyacia | HR 273 Bowgun ^q^
3DS Friendcode: 2062-9383-2229 ~ RE:R - Lv 50 Jessica/Quint
#56AngelcientPosted 11/12/2012 3:40:15 PM
The only thing i hope is that i don't have to spend more fine transmutation stones
#57AmiadonPosted 11/12/2012 4:13:19 PM
darkace77450 posted...
george43 posted...
Exotic armor shouldn't be the end all be all.

It makes sense they are adding a new tier of armor as this will open the door for legendary armor as well for crafters.

Does it make sense that they add a new tier of armor a mere two and a half months after release?

This is the first I've heard of this, so I don't know much about it, but I believe they're doing it in order to keep the players who have got their legendary, map completion, and full armor sets playing for the time being. The (very vocal) minority who have been barking incessantly at the lack of end-game gear goals would have something to do with it too, I'd wager.

The new tier won't apply to PvP, and PvE is already quite achievable to do with current gear. There is no dungeon or zone that requires this new tier to have any realistic chance of completing, so as of this moment, there is no treadmill. Not that I'd mind one being slowly implemented over time, considering it wouldn't affect players on a competitive level and it would give those more into PvE more things to do.
---
Emasculating 16 year-old keyboard warriors, one game at a time. Sisters of Swagger, represent!
#58mrplanktomPosted 11/12/2012 4:21:30 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
george43 posted...

It makes sense they are adding a new tier of armor as this will open the door for legendary armor as well for crafters.

Weren't you here a few months ago praising GW2 for not having a treadmill for gear, now you're applauding it, typical drone.

If others say it's a good thing, you disagree, but if ArenaNet does it, no matter what your opinion. You'll agree.

*Claps*

So, you're mad GW2 didn't have a treadmill, now you're mad because you think it will, typical $5 a day blizzturd drone.

If others say it's a good thing, you disagree, but if Blizzturd does it, no matter what your opinion. You'll agree.

*Claps*
---
There's no group of people more delusional than D3 fanboys. Including scientologists.
#59Xeeh_BitzPosted 11/12/2012 4:25:10 PM(edited)
Edavy89 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Edavy89 posted...
Hey xeeh, can we trade lives? I wish I had so much free time that i could spend all day flaming the message boards of a game I don't even like. Instead i'm stuck having a productive life. :-(

'eh, get a job where you can internetz instead of a manual labor job with no access to a PC.

Eh, I'll stick to owning my own highly profitable business, working for other people doesn't work for me. besides, why the hell would I want to sit on my butt in an office all day? that seems incredibly redundant and boring. I much prefer being a mason.

That's what I do, I sit home most of the time or sometimes go in if I feel like it but during the fall/winter my business is rather slow so I'm not really needed to be there. I was actually making that remark to you, not what I do, we know you're full of it if you say you own your own highly profitable business, if you did; You would have a lot of free time because other people would do the work for you, which is why I have so much time.

Which gives me more quality time to drop in the forums to say hello. ;)
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#60Ness0123456789Posted 11/12/2012 5:22:12 PM
Amiadon posted...
darkace77450 posted...
george43 posted...

Does it make sense that they add a new tier of armor a mere two and a half months after release?

This is the first I've heard of this, so I don't know much about it, but I believe they're doing it in order to keep the players who have got their legendary, map completion, and full armor sets playing for the time being. The (very vocal) minority who have been barking incessantly at the lack of end-game gear goals would have something to do with it too, I'd wager.

The new tier won't apply to PvP, and PvE is already quite achievable to do with current gear. There is no dungeon or zone that requires this new tier to have any realistic chance of completing, so as of this moment, there is no treadmill. Not that I'd mind one being slowly implemented over time, considering it wouldn't affect players on a competitive level and it would give those more into PvE more things to do.

Exactly. I'm glad you understand why this is a good thing.

So long as Structured PvP remains as it is, there is no reason NOT to add a power creep to PvE. It doesn't have to be a big one either, just something to keep those interested in PvE playing without having to shoe-horn them into the Zergfest that is WvW or the slightly boring Structured PvP.

I do wish though they'd add a few more game types instead of Conquest to Structured PvP. That'd make it a bit more enjoyable to me than the one game type, four (soon five) map system we have now.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI