Full article on Ascended loot is now up

#31dan9khoaPosted 11/13/2012 12:41:37 AM
let's talk about something else

"We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently"

That seems interesting.
---
PSN ID: DK511
A quote is like a Woman's skirt, it must be short enough to grab your attention, but long enough to cover the subject
#32Duke DarkwoodPosted 11/13/2012 12:42:44 AM
As it stands from what I read in the article: It could go either way.

If they make it accessible to anyone, with only mildly more effort than Exotics already take, then it might work fine.

If it's something that only a Rare Few People will be able to get, that's... NOT so fine. It will institute "gear elitism" - something which I have already seen in the game, with people demanding exotics for groups.

Same for the Infusion - if its recipes require things that anyone can get, well and good. Maybe with some item relevant to the area infusion is for (and if more areas use it, this item should be available in them, too). But not something super-crazy-rare.

So, at the moment, it teeters on the edge of good and bad.

Of course, one more thing: If this does open the door to more stat tiers, THAT is definitely going to be bad. Even if this update handles it well, adding more new tiers would be a very unwise move.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#33replicantPosted 11/13/2012 12:50:46 AM
Yup, we'll have to wait and see because the article gives us no solid information outside of rings and back pieces. Weapons and Armor will tell if it's something I'll have to strive for to use in WvW. My necro already carries around 3 sets of Exotics for different builds so this could be another time sink. Infusing gear doesn't bother me since I did that in GW1, but I do dislike the upgrade in stats even if they are minor.
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#34ThatSageGuyPosted 11/13/2012 12:55:18 AM
The first thing to come to mind after reading this? "Oh god, it's aq40 again."

One can only hope it won't be as bad, but I'm not expecting anything.
---
The odds are equally not in the favor of anyone. Yet still, someone will emerge victorious with the coveted title of "Steve". - mooninomics, GW2 Board
#35Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 1:18:02 AM
replicant posted...
Yup, we'll have to wait and see because the article gives us no solid information outside of rings and back pieces. Weapons and Armor will tell if it's something I'll have to strive for to use in WvW.

But the article clearly says Legendaries will have better (Ascended) stats than Exotics.

People with Legendaries will hit you harder than you can hit them in WvW.
---
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Coming March 2013 to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
#36TaijouroukunPosted 11/13/2012 1:19:10 AM
Brackie posted...
havok718 posted...
This is not GW1. If you haven't noticed, this game is nothing like GW1. Anet went out of their way to make this game not like GW1.

Do you really think they're introducing a new stat to use in a single dungeon? .

The fact is, they did it before in GW1. One of the Missions/Dungeons had your group stricken with a debuff that continued to sap your health the entire time you were in the instance. It couldn't be removed and thus you had to be constantly healed. So, the precedent has already been set.....This has already been done 7 years ago.

Wait and see how it is implemented into this game before you get your panties in a twist.

this is nothing like infusion in gw1. have you even play gw1? you don't need new armor to be infused. all you do is play 1 part of a mission. it takes you less than an hour to infuse your armor. and majority of that is part of the mission anyway. and it's not more powerful after you infuse it.

here in gw2, now you need a whole set of armor. and the armor has better stats. so you need to grind a new set of gear for the new content. and when more new content comes out, they will add more item progression. it's a god damn gear treadmill!
#37TaijouroukunPosted 11/13/2012 1:25:59 AM
replicant posted...
Yup, we'll have to wait and see because the article gives us no solid information outside of rings and back pieces. Weapons and Armor will tell if it's something I'll have to strive for to use in WvW. My necro already carries around 3 sets of Exotics for different builds so this could be another time sink. Infusing gear doesn't bother me since I did that in GW1, but I do dislike the upgrade in stats even if they are minor.

you need ascended gear to be infused. and ascended is better than exotic. since you carry around 3 sets of exotic, i'm assuming you want only the best. congratulations, all your exotic gears just became crap and you need to grind yourself 3 brand new sets of ascended. THEN you can get them infused, which is probably another grind.
#38GroadergreenPosted 11/13/2012 1:43:21 AM
I'm guessing this means the Mursaat are back?
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#39NoGaRdKniGhtPosted 11/13/2012 2:12:30 AM(edited)
Not feeling the big issue just yet considering it wasn't difficult for me to get full exotics in the first place just by doing ori runs and dungeons.

Depends entirely on the availability of the new items...and there's only going to be rings and backslots in the patch.

There's an extreme lack of backslot items in general, so I'm not really counting that one, and I'm not going to be ****ing my pants over a whole 10 power and precision difference between the qualities of rings.

There's also no indication what exactly is going to go into the infusion slots besides whatever the hell reduces the damage taken from Agony, which has no context outside of the new areas.

I'll wait for more information.
#40Duke DarkwoodPosted 11/13/2012 2:31:18 AM
But the article clearly says Legendaries will have better (Ascended) stats than Exotics.

People with Legendaries will hit you harder than you can hit them in WvW.

This worries me. Again, it goes back to the accessibility of Ascended equipment. If people can get it easily enough, then it will only be a matter of time before everyone's up to par again - and the difference IS only very small; it would be the same as a fight between an 80 in Rares vs. an 80 in Exotics. Not quite even, but the person in rares can still win even in a straight up fight.

this is nothing like infusion in gw1. have you even play gw1? you don't need new armor to be infused. all you do is play 1 part of a mission. it takes you less than an hour to infuse your armor. and majority of that is part of the mission anyway. and it's not more powerful after you infuse it.

here in gw2, now you need a whole set of armor. and the armor has better stats. so you need to grind a new set of gear for the new content.

The actual infusion, itself, is the only thing specific to the new content. You can get ascended armor anyway, infuse it or not at your choice, and fight... anything else.

you need ascended gear to be infused. and ascended is better than exotic. since you carry around 3 sets of exotic, i'm assuming you want only the best. congratulations, all your exotic gears just became crap and you need to grind yourself 3 brand new sets of ascended. THEN you can get them infused, which is probably another grind.

As I said in my above post - it depends on how hard it is to get ascended armor. (Ignoring infusion upgrades for the time being.) If you absolutely can't get it outside of the dungeon, that would be... unwise... of Arenanet.

Were I in charge of how they made it available, my first through would be to extend crafting - but THAT would be more trouble than it's worth. New materials, extending the craft meter, it would be a logistical nightmare. So: my second thought? Mystic Forge. I'd add a new item, which would be in that dungeon as a normal drop, but also be available from, say, extremely high end chests (Orr, Frostgorge Sound, the top three dungeons)? I've got a few ideas on possible recipes, but you get the idea - it's something that anyone could do, and with only a bit more effort than going after exotics.

As for those Infusion upgrades - I would be fine if they (or some component needed for them) are exclusive to this dungeon where they are required. As long as they also add them if they use this mechanic in other areas. It would probably give them a taste of why they need it, too - I've always felt that GW1 players appreciated infusion more if they've experienced Spectral Agony without it. (Too easy to take it for granted otherwise, especially since it's used nowhere else.)

I'm guessing this means the Mursaat are back?

The terms "Agony" and "Infusion" do sound leading, and whatever was in that screenshot had some weird sort of wings... but it might just be a red herring; it didn't look remotely like GW1's Mursaat. I'm inclined to think it's NOT them, but only about 60, 65 percent sure of it.

Not feeling the big issue just yet considering it wasn't difficult for me to get full exotics in the first place just by doing ori runs and dungeons.

Depends entirely on the availability of the new items.

And that's the bottom line, as I see it. They clearly must take more effort than exotics, but TOO much effort will cause a distinct schism between the "haves" and the "have-nots".

Well, that's the second-to-bottom line. The bottom line is this: even if they do this right, they could ruin it later by adding more tiers. That, we DON'T want.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann