Full article on Ascended loot is now up

#61Witch ElfPosted 11/13/2012 2:21:12 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
I think I might skip out on Ascended for most of my toons. For all intents and purposes, exotic is enough.

Then I hope you don't plan on doing any PvE content that includes the Agony mechanic--after all, I'm fairly certain they haven't stated that they're keeping it strictly for the new dungeon. They could add it to WvW keep lords, dungeon bosses, major world events like dragons, etc.

And, worst of all, we pretty much know that with this update, they'll just do it again in a few months. "New tier to bridge the gap between Ascended and Legendary! Even though there's no gap, but we're going to make one now!"
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness
#62Icewitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 2:21:27 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
They aren't being upgraded this patch. They aren't being touched until they actually add ascended weapons to the game, which could be months from now. They're also changing some of the ways you acquire your Legendary Weapon to make it less difficult. Not to mention that you won't actually NEED a Legendary Weapon, as Ascended Weapons will have the same stats (they aren't the same thing).

So Legendary weapons will constantly scale to whatever the highest power in the game is... seems pretty obligatory to me. Don't want to upgrade your weapon every few months? Better get that Legendary bro. Oh you don't have 1000 gold to buy all the Lodestones? Buy some gems!

It's a very light form of gating content and linear progression to keep people from burning through the content too fast. It's no where near as obnoxious as Radiance was in Lotro or Resistance Checks were in Early WoW. But it is there as a design to keep people from doing everything in one day and then having nothing to do.

It's the exact same thing. It is mathematically gating content. You cannot do the content without the resist gear. You cannot get the resist gear without grinding Ascendeds -- and they even said the Ascended stuff with Agony resist will be harder to get than the regular Ascended gear.
---
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Coming March 2013 to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U
#63Ness0123456789Posted 11/13/2012 3:41:08 PM
So Legendary weapons will constantly scale to whatever the highest power in the game is... seems pretty obligatory to me. Don't want to upgrade your weapon every few months? Better get that Legendary bro. Oh you don't have 1000 gold to buy all the Lodestones? Buy some gems!

And? Upgrading a weapon every few months (assuming this is the case, they've already stated that Legendary is the BiS gear quality) is still better for a player than spending several months grinding mats and playing the RNG game to get a SINGLE upgrade. And either way, the upgrade from Exotic to Ascended isn't that huge. You're looking at marginal DPS increase from going to Exotic to Ascended/Legendary.

It's the exact same thing. It is mathematically gating content. You cannot do the content without the resist gear. You cannot get the resist gear without grinding Ascendeds -- and they even said the Ascended stuff with Agony resist will be harder to get than the regular Ascended gear.

...you must really suck at reading or something. I said that they this is a light form of gating content. And that's what it is, it's a light form. This is nothing compared to BC-Style attunements, or Pre-BC style Resistance Checks, where the entire raid would need to grind an entirely separate set for one single boss fight. It's also important to note, and I don't think you caught that, that the Fractals are doable without Ascended Gear. You just aren't going to get very far into them without it. But that's the point.

You go in a few floors, try to get some ascended gear from the early reward chests, than try again later with more Infusion gear to get further in. The dungeon has no end, it's designed as an endless-mode Challenge Mission like in GW1. The better question is if they're going to add high-score boards to record progress of guilds on how far down they got.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#64Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/13/2012 3:59:25 PM
Witch Elf posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...
I think I might skip out on Ascended for most of my toons. For all intents and purposes, exotic is enough.

Then I hope you don't plan on doing any PvE content that includes the Agony mechanic--after all, I'm fairly certain they haven't stated that they're keeping it strictly for the new dungeon. They could add it to WvW keep lords, dungeon bosses, major world events like dragons, etc.

And, worst of all, we pretty much know that with this update, they'll just do it again in a few months. "New tier to bridge the gap between Ascended and Legendary! Even though there's no gap, but we're going to make one now!"

That's a whole lot of "what if"s. I'll have one designated toon with the gear, and then just do everything else with my other toons.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#65gamewizard11Posted 11/13/2012 4:52:09 PM
steker16 posted...
I'll reserve my judgement for when the patch finally comes out, but my immediate opinion is extreme dissapointment. If this turns into a 2nd gear grind, 3 bloody months after the game has been released, I'm quitting GW2 for good.

im not deciding on what i think about it until i see it in game. but please enlighten to me as to the 1st gear grind? because it sure as hell isnt exotics

I've got 4 80's. Equipping them all with exotics, the right runes, and their full cadre of exotic weapons is not a cakewalk, and yes, it is a significant grind. I've just finished getting two of my 80s with full exotic armor and runes, and a full set of exotic weapons.

Being a severe alta-holic like myself, any addition of a gear grind is a significant change that adds a whole lot of work and grind, because I won't be happy till all my alts are sufficiently geared. That's why I'm so opposed to this, because I don't want to spend months getting all my alts up to speed, only to have to start a new grind just as I have finished.
---
don't have a waifu. 2D is just too mainstream and 1D is not even visible.
#66OlazePosted 11/13/2012 5:31:19 PM
I still don't understand why Arenanet has given this the green light. It makes no logical sense from their perspective.

The people who crave of getting better gear will want the next flavour of the month so on and so on. They won't be satisfied if it doesn't come quick enough will whine and quit probably back to WoW.

Then there's the people who are Guild Wars veterans like me who doesn't want to grind for better stats but just chilling out doing whatever without being forced to do this and casuals who won't feel further behind stat wise after being logged out for a while.

So they have two types of audiences. The ones who like to grind for the "best items" and their niche audience who have made them what they are today. You would think sticking with their principles and their niche supportive community would be the best logical choice.

Like I said it's pretty much a dark day for Anet now because I've never seen their PR so bad before. Loads of their fans are now calling them liars and are extremely disappointed they're slowly turning their franchise into another WoW model (that so many MMO's have failed btw)

It wouldn't be so bad they made the announcement about a month before the patch came giving the time to fix it but it's coming out later this week. It's too late to pull the plug now. They've truly messed up. I can't believe they didn't see this backlash coming. The silence from the team must mean they're truly shocked and don't know what to do for the best.
#67synister666Posted 11/13/2012 6:41:19 PM
I was excited about new loot until the part about having to worry about Agony now and having to stack resistances against it just to run new dungeons. That sucks. So now they are making the new dungeons more annoying than the current ones already are. Screw that.
---
PSN: AstralSerpent