Logically, is there any reason to use Condition over Power in PvE?

#1NicoGrimmPosted 11/17/2012 6:48:18 PM
Please, do correct me if I'm wrong (and this is pure speculation, so I'm sure I am), but wouldn't a Power/Precision build almost always be better than a Condition build on any class in regular non Dungeon PvE?
Since everything dies relatively quickly, and conditions take time to apply, wouldnt it be better to kinda just..hit things harder? Other than personal play-style. of course.

Or, are certain classes (like necros) clearly better with conditions than power?
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#2touyamizrahiPosted 11/17/2012 6:52:21 PM
i'd be curious to know this as well since i just started up again today after i stopped at the end of the first week it came out cause of college. so now that i've got my weekend pretty decent and most projects done, i'm curious if as an elementalist should i have a decent bit into condition or not? (DOTs)
---
oh look!!! CUPCAKES!
PSN: KatouKimiko XBL: AdamLelouche
#3GroadergreenPosted 11/17/2012 6:53:32 PM
As a necro with full blown Carrion exotics and a heavy condition build I can safely say:

Go Power / Precision as another profession :(
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#4Tooter_RooterPosted 11/17/2012 6:54:54 PM
I always go with condition over strength for my engineer and ranger, certain classes can pour out a lot of dot in AoE. I've tried power instead, but it was blah
#5RabillionPosted 11/17/2012 7:05:22 PM
Condition damage is great for an engineer. I run pistol/shield and whip out my elixir gun for added conditions and healing if needed.

One major downside about condition damage is that it take forever to destroy non-living objects. Of course a weapon rack isn't going to bleed.
#6NicoGrimm(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 7:08:03 PM
Thats kinda what I was wondering about. There seems to be a bunch of events where you have to destroy Turrets, and weapon racks, and other stationary objects. Condition doesn't work on those, right? There's also the fact that enemies attack liek every 5 seconds or so so something like Confusion (which, imo, is an amazing skill), is relatively useless right? Unless there's AoE Cnfusion spells, which sound great.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#7GroadergreenPosted 11/17/2012 7:24:43 PM
Confusion isn't too useful in PvE due to the generally slow attacks of enemies. Bleeding is another issue because it caps so quickly with multiple people so a condition necromancer loses most of his or her damage when other people are around.
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#8ReikkenPosted 11/17/2012 7:30:14 PM(edited)
depends on what you're attacking with
also what level you are
and what you're fighting
and who you're fighting with

what you're fighting: A lot of strong enemies have lots of armor, and condition ignores that. also if they have a lot of health, the over time part doesn't matter, and condtions tend to do more damage in exchange for taking longer to do it

who you're fighting with: if you're not solo, other people's conditions will devalue yours. burns and poisons only get longer, not stronger, and bleeds max at 25 stacks. if you're in a gigantic enormous group, conditions don't matter at all. for small groups, it varies

what level you are: if you're low level, condition builds are amazing at clearing higher level stuff, since direct damage is scaled not only by armor and power, but also by level difference. Condition damage is unaffected by level difference. kill things 9 levels higher than you, no problem

and what you're attacking with: if you're, say, a thief, your most damaging AoE options do condition damage. And you can kite and dodge better when you're using condition damage since you get your conditions in, throw your caltrops down, watch your enemy shoot up to 21 stacks of bleed, and then you don't have to attack for a bit. can focus more on not getting hit

also there's +40% condition duration food, which is hilariously huge. nothing that big exists for direct damage

confusion in general is garbage in pve, yes
---
Capitalism, ho!
#9havok718Posted 11/17/2012 8:10:29 PM(edited)
Condition damage is great for an engineer. I run pistol/shield and whip out my elixir gun for added conditions and healing if needed.

One major downside about condition damage is that it take forever to destroy non-living objects. Of course a weapon rack isn't going to bleed.

nope.jpg

I made the mistake of buying a full set of exotic condition gear for my Eng. What an utter waste. The Condition damage stat scale like crap, compared to Berserker crit damage flat % increases. It's not hard to get 60-70% crit rate in this game, which makes crit damage the stat of kings.

You know condition stat is bad when even pistol does more damage with power/crit damage. Try it and you will see the light. Not to mention it locks you into using pistol. If you ever want to mess with grenades/rifle, with no crit damage fugitaboutit.

Also unless you're full-support, you are gimping yourself hard by not using grenades.
#10Witch ElfPosted 11/17/2012 8:04:20 PM
Conditions can be easier to apply and do a lot more damage--especially as mobs get more and more health.

When I was leveling my thief, for example, I had a death blossom build. I could put 9-12 stacks of bleeding on a large group with taking almost no damage. Most critters melt like butter with that many on them.

Likewise, necromancers offer a lot of conditions, some warrior builds, and so on.

Condition can be useful because once you apply the initial stacks, you can focus completely on kiting.

And very few mobs can actually remove conditions.
---
"Aw, what did they do to Jenny?" - The Darkness