Hey guys, how do the players feel about this game?

#1IshaguPosted 11/17/2012 8:43:27 PM
I'm getting the MMO itch again... but I'm not sure if I should wait for Elder Scrolls Online as I'm a huge fan of those games and it actually looks quite good...

A few months on, what's the general opinion of this game?
---
You're not a serious gamer if you never game on a PC!!
-~Ishagu~-
#2Gojak_v3Posted 11/17/2012 8:47:47 PM
I love it. Plus, no monthly cost. Although the bank you start with is pretty small. You'll want to upgrade that fast if you're a pack rat, so that will probably cost you a few extra dollars.
#3XianCePosted 11/17/2012 9:19:22 PM
It's good.
---
Competitive gaming is a joke.
PC Shop Teacher: Remember - anyone who doesn't build their own birdhouse is a CASUAL woodsmith.
#4CruxisInhibitorPosted 11/17/2012 9:22:14 PM
The gameplay is shallow...combat system isn't very good, roles and specs are pretty streamlined, the meat of the gameplay is exploration and completionist tasks, grouping is basically redundant, more like an online adventure / platformer trying to wear GW1's shoes to be quite honest. Some systems make the game utterly frustrating like the Mystic Forge, which sucks a lot of fun and creativity out of looting and gearing up...other systems and modes like WvW are incredibly premature. Game is very unbalanced systematically on almost all aspects you would find fundamental to MMORPG. It's just not fun when you get down to it. it's pretty much braindead zerging, weightless, static skills, very limited customization...covered up by cosmetic gear grind, legendary weapons that are ridiculously hard to obtain and you have to use a guide for because there's absolutely no information in-game about them. It's just not designed very well. Encounters are designed poorly because of the lack of trinity mechanics to balance the combat system around. The result is bosses with ridiculous health pools with very few mechanics to engage you. It turns into a stall war avoiding damage and whittling down bars ad nauseum. The gameplay is just poor and that's the truth from an analytical perspective. I would not trust someone's opinion on this game unless they find some flaw with it. It gets stale very fast, the experience doesn't really change. The trait system, customization, progression..all very vapid. The waypoints, armor costs, taxes and all that necessary to funnel money out of the game so that people are forced to buy gems makes for a very clever, but restrictive and depressing way for a game to be structured. It's like they punish players for being able to buy gems with in-game gold. A huge flaw is how tightly woven items are into the Gem Store. Skins, stuff that people want. The live updates are trash as well, just filler for the cleverly disguised cash shop flaunting. The new dungeon is so obviously a contrived attempt at filler, it's ridiculous. Game might be good in a couple years, but from my perspective, it's really floundering and the developers are derping hard.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#5feeny88Posted 11/17/2012 9:39:27 PM
do you have that paragraph saved on your computer crux because you post the same bull every single time you post.

That being said, the game is fun. Unlike what crux said, the combat is actually good, a lot better than WoW's very dull i'm gonna stand in one spot and smack something in the face til it dies combat. You can use ingame money to purchase gem store items if you want. It is definately worth trying out.
---
Funky Kong and Gir as Assist Trophies for SSBU
11-11-11 = Greatest day in video game history!!
#6kamikaze135Posted 11/17/2012 9:40:00 PM
It's......okay. Not great, not bad. At level 80, wepaons and armor are mostly just skins for the most part. You have to do an incredible amount of grinding to look cool, of course.

The battle system boils down to zerging down enemies 95% of the time. The story is decent, but nothing to write home about. The voice acting is pretty well done. PvP is not nearly as good as I thought it would be.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#7NicoGrimmPosted 11/17/2012 9:52:15 PM
Good game. has flaws that need to be addressed, but overall has a ton of potential.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#8The_Opera_GhostPosted 11/17/2012 9:59:54 PM
It's not very well optimized for a broad range of computers. May run great on some, may run very clunky on others.
#9random_noobiePosted 11/17/2012 10:18:37 PM
CruxisInhibitor posted...
The waypoints, armor costs, taxes and all that necessary to funnel money out of the game so that people are forced to buy gems makes for a very clever, but restrictive and depressing way for a game to be structured. It's like they punish players for being able to buy gems with in-game gold. A huge flaw is how tightly woven items are into the Gem Store. Skins, stuff that people want. The live updates are trash as well, just filler for the cleverly disguised cash shop flaunting.

this is the gem i found in the post. the rest is your copy/pasted essay and we all know you absolutely hate the game because its not a GW1 clone (and heavily based on personal opinion, not facts). all i have to say to this is:

are you serious with this part?

unless you port all over the god damn world for every little thing, the way point costs are nothing. you kill two mobs at level 80 and the cost of almost any way point is refunded. no one is forcing you to buy gems unless you're a pessimist or refuse to play the game.

i've bought zero gems. zero. i have absolutely no money problems unless i deliberately try not to make money.

explain how they're flaunting the cash shop. explain how you're forced to buy gems. i'm waiting.

@ OP: take what cruxis says with a grain of salt. he's very pessimistic, but, to answer your post: GW2 is fun, but, its not everyone's cup of tea... just like every other game.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#10GoatJugSoupPosted 11/17/2012 10:31:44 PM
Ishagu posted...
I'm getting the MMO itch again... but I'm not sure if I should wait for Elder Scrolls Online as I'm a huge fan of those games and it actually looks quite good...

A few months on, what's the general opinion of this game?

i love the elder scrolls series myself but to be honest i disagree, the mmo looks quite bland to me. I hope it fails completely in a financial sense as well so that they don't pull a blizzard and stop making the main series (I would love to play warcraft 4 but as long as the mmo does good thats never going to happen 0_o).

having gotten that out of my system, i have had a tonne of enjoyment with guild wars 2 so far and the way they are adding new (and free) content each month (plus probably working on an expansion) I anticipate enjoying this game for a long time to come.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/goatjugsoup1278
GW2 Character Name: Ranger Goat of Yogi, Guild: Knights of Chicken