Hey guys, how do the players feel about this game?

#31HolyKnight199Posted 11/18/2012 7:47:08 PM
The new patch is kind of a cold shower, but it's definitely worth it for the leveling experience.
---
Peace!
#32feeny88Posted 11/18/2012 9:20:05 PM
pies12 posted...
but I'm not sure if I should wait for Elder Scrolls Online as I'm a huge fan of those games

If you're a fan on TES you shouldn't be considering supporting that abomination. Particularly with how badly they botched Skyrim.

Skyrim wasn't a botch. Skyrim was really good. Not as good as Morrowind/Oblivion, but still by far the best game of 2011.....hence why it won GOTY. TES Online has potential. Also for the last time Bethesda isn't making it so whether you think they botched Skyrim or not they only have some say in the making of TES Online, they don't do the programming/art/anything else

Now onto GW2....as I said before the game is fun. For those of you like crux saying the combat sucks, please explain to me how other MMO's are any better? Aion had the interesting flight combat which was cool, and Rifts skills were awesome yes, but the trolls favorite game of WoW is by far the most bland piece of crap combat out there. GW2 actually requires dodging and some strategy. WoW was literally standing there and pressing 1 and taking no damage.
---
Funky Kong and Gir as Assist Trophies for SSBU
11-11-11 = Greatest day in video game history!!
#33The_tall_midgetPosted 11/18/2012 11:04:21 PM
feeny88 posted...
pies12 posted...
but I'm not sure if I should wait for Elder Scrolls Online as I'm a huge fan of those games

If you're a fan on TES you shouldn't be considering supporting that abomination. Particularly with how badly they botched Skyrim.

Skyrim wasn't a botch. Skyrim was really good. Not as good as Morrowind/Oblivion, but still by far the best game of 2011.....hence why it won GOTY. TES Online has potential. Also for the last time Bethesda isn't making it so whether you think they botched Skyrim or not they only have some say in the making of TES Online, they don't do the programming/art/anything else

I think he's being serious.
---
Rule 1 of any mystery : Wizard did it. Always
#34Damien94Posted 11/19/2012 12:20:02 AM
You'll get the same responses as every other game when it comes to asking opinion:

The fanboys love it to the point of irrationally defending flaws.

The trolls bash it to the point of ignoring the good parts of the game.

Those are the majority of responses and most of us who provide realistic observations are lost in the flood and attacked by fanboys, who are then fueled by trolls who jump in.

In all honesty, I don't like the game enough to invest a lot of time in it. It has it's good points and bad points, but the bad outweigh the good for me. However, I don't regret the purchase, and that's the key point. I put enough hours into it to justify the initial cost. The lack of a subscription soothes any "buying pains" as it were. If there were a subscription, I would probably have regretted the purchase, as I don't really play anymore.

The Good:
-Looks great
-Exploration is rewarded
-Inventory system is great (automatically send mats back to bank from anywhere into a separate section that doesn't take up bank space).
-sPvP actually requires skill rather than gear

On the Fence:
-Quest system is good and bad. It's good because you can choose what type of objective you want to do (kill, gather, etc), and everything is shared, so you don't need to worry about someone "stealing" your quest objectives.

It's bad IMO because it encourages a type of anti-social behavior. Other players seem more like NPCs than people. Very few people talk and it feels like you're playing a single player game. Which can be a plus for some people though.

-Story. The personal stories are mostly good, but there are some really bad ones (Human story, I'm looking at you). Also it can be annoying if you just want to continue the story, but the gap gets too big and you have to go grind another area in order to "catch up".

The Bad:
-Customization and Variety. Very little character customization and variety in your character and skills. Your skills are decided by what weapons you have equipped, and you learn more skills by using the weapon. You will only ever get 5 active skills per weapon (5 from two handers, and 3 + 2 for single handed weapons, depending on combination). This highly limits customization and makes the gameplay feel very stale after you've leveled up with the same old, same old forever.

-Combat. As mentioned, because of the lack of variety and customization, it gets stale pretty quickly. It's also rather shallow because of the removal of threat control and healing roles. Instead you have kiters, CCers, and DPS (vs. tank, healer, DPS). And that's IF you have an intelligent group of players. If not, any group content becomes either a death race or zerg of players. This is why World vs. World PvP isn't that much fun (basically just a huge amount of people zerging each other... not a lot of room for skill) and "Dynamic Events" get pretty boring.

Dungeons can be fun with players who know "what's up", but that's not usually the case, especially if you PUG. So just like other MMOs, it leads to elitism and needing specific roles... the very thing they were trying to avoid by removing traditional roles.
---
Contrary to popular belief, opinions can be, and often are, wrong.
#35LaManoNeraIIPosted 11/19/2012 12:31:57 AM
To be blunt, its not worth $60.

You'd be much better off buying a real RPG like Skyrm, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, etc because GW2 is not a MMO.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#36replicantPosted 11/19/2012 12:33:10 AM
I fell in love with Guild Wars 2 awhile back, but I am currently thinking of seeing other games. The crowd Guild Wars 2 has started hanging out with are not the types of games I want to associate with and her recent outbursts go against the philosophy of our initial relationship. I'm starting to think she may be Bipolar...
---
Bear "replicant" Powell
"I am Shaolin-Style!"
#37MSN 04 SazabiPosted 11/19/2012 12:34:26 AM
Rocketdot posted...
WTF else are you going to play?

You want to talk about limited class customization, limited armor choices, class imbalance, game designed around profit. Let's talk about Diablo 3.

I've had a lot more fun playing D3 than GW2, and I've put far more hours into it. Sad thing is I bought GW2 on impulse thanks to all the hype combined with the D3 bashing.

At least from 1-60 my character looked different every few levels... and D3 isn't even about playing dress up. It's about loot, and while the loot is 99% terrible, it's the 1% that keeps me playing. I mentioned in a different topic that grinding for that one special drop is far more addicting than grinding for mundane mats to craft a legendary. There's a huge rush when you first hear the ping and beam of light show up on your screen indicating the legendary...

The game's improved a whole lot since release.

And bash the AH all you want, but I got the majority of my armor in GW2 from the AH too.
---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#38tehdudPosted 11/19/2012 12:37:26 AM
Damien94 posted...
You'll get the same responses as every other game when it comes to asking opinion:

The fanboys love it to the point of irrationally defending flaws.

The trolls bash it to the point of ignoring the good parts of the game.

Those are the majority of responses and most of us who provide realistic observations are lost in the flood and attacked by fanboys, who are then fueled by trolls who jump in.

In all honesty, I don't like the game enough to invest a lot of time in it. It has it's good points and bad points, but the bad outweigh the good for me. However, I don't regret the purchase, and that's the key point. I put enough hours into it to justify the initial cost. The lack of a subscription soothes any "buying pains" as it were. If there were a subscription, I would probably have regretted the purchase, as I don't really play anymore.

The Good:
-Looks great
-Exploration is rewarded
-Inventory system is great (automatically send mats back to bank from anywhere into a separate section that doesn't take up bank space).
-sPvP actually requires skill rather than gear

On the Fence:
-Quest system is good and bad. It's good because you can choose what type of objective you want to do (kill, gather, etc), and everything is shared, so you don't need to worry about someone "stealing" your quest objectives.

It's bad IMO because it encourages a type of anti-social behavior. Other players seem more like NPCs than people. Very few people talk and it feels like you're playing a single player game. Which can be a plus for some people though.

-Story. The personal stories are mostly good, but there are some really bad ones (Human story, I'm looking at you). Also it can be annoying if you just want to continue the story, but the gap gets too big and you have to go grind another area in order to "catch up".

The Bad:
-Customization and Variety. Very little character customization and variety in your character and skills. Your skills are decided by what weapons you have equipped, and you learn more skills by using the weapon. You will only ever get 5 active skills per weapon (5 from two handers, and 3 + 2 for single handed weapons, depending on combination). This highly limits customization and makes the gameplay feel very stale after you've leveled up with the same old, same old forever.

-Combat. As mentioned, because of the lack of variety and customization, it gets stale pretty quickly. It's also rather shallow because of the removal of threat control and healing roles. Instead you have kiters, CCers, and DPS (vs. tank, healer, DPS). And that's IF you have an intelligent group of players. If not, any group content becomes either a death race or zerg of players. This is why World vs. World PvP isn't that much fun (basically just a huge amount of people zerging each other... not a lot of room for skill) and "Dynamic Events" get pretty boring.

Dungeons can be fun with players who know "what's up", but that's not usually the case, especially if you PUG. So just like other MMOs, it leads to elitism and needing specific roles... the very thing they were trying to avoid by removing traditional roles.

great post +1
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#39RandomsnPosted 11/19/2012 12:38:25 AM
People who still say WvW is a zergfest must not have done any serious WvW for months. WvW guilds are a near contant presence now. And when they aren't present in force, there are usually a couple commanders running around organizing the masses.

Of course if you think that just because WvW tends to have a sizable main force it instantly means people are "zerging" things, you're probably one of those WoW/DAoC arena boys who thinks that any group with a size greater than 5 instantly makes any kind of coordination impossible and no such encounter can implement strategy/tactics... In which case you're just hopelessly wrong.
#40lovemehatePosted 11/19/2012 2:01:47 AM
I Want my money back, and no am not trolling.
its pretty yes....
but all you do is run from point A to point B killing this or collecting that.
Its got the worst grind I have ever seen in any online game ever if you want the good stuff, and am not talking a fun grind either.....

I cant say much for pvp cause am not big on it. but it seems lack from what GW1 had to offer from what i have read.

the dungeons are not fun what so ever. IMO . most bosses feel glitchy and one hit you , it all comes down to running...dodging...again and again and hope not to get hit by whatever random crap they bend over and dump all over you.

i can go on and on about the bad things in this game, including horribly glitched classes and event.

broken skill-points.

its not remotely dynamic at all, the events happen over and over and start/end the same way have ZERO effect on anything. thus making them STATIC not dynamic.

I feel like this game is only defended by fanboys and everyone who is steamed they wasted 59.99. and if you don't agree you are called a "Trolls" sad...

but whatever they made their money, they don't care so no matter how bitter i am about this game/purchase it changes nothing, but if I can convince one person not to buy it, I have done my job.