Ascended gear is pretty grindy.

#1DefiladePosted 11/18/2012 4:18:50 AM
I haven't seen anyone discuss this, but we had the "wait and see" people and now the info(for the most part) about how ascended gear is acquired is here.

-Vial of condensed mist(rng drop)
-24 skill points
-50 ectos
-250 t6 mats

I seriously don't understand how we went from 2-4 gold exotics to needing 250 freaking vial of powerful blood to make a berserker back piece. It costs over 80 gold and I don't even understand how this can be considered in the realm of reasonable. Now of course, one of the elements to this is a rng drop, I mean really anet? Both rng and massive gold sink.

Next thing, the rings. RNG drop from level 10+ fractals. Seriously, RNG.

Infusions, another layer of grind. The acquisition is far more reliable since you can actually get them from the vendor, but if you want something a bit more fancy you will have to throw gold into the mystic forge... An unusual amount of gold.

The method to get ascended items thus far is just absurd. People worried about a gear treadmill and whether or not one really comes is completely irrelevant to me due to the massive grind it requires to get a whooping 3 pieces of equipment. We still have weapons, armor, and the rest of the jewelry also down the line.

The ascended grind just isn't self sustaining. If the next wave of items released is on the same level of grind/gold sink I won't be able to keep up nor will the majority of players. I blew my Orr retirement money(I hoarded enough gold that I vowed I'd never step foot in Orr again) on 250 t6 mats and 50 ectos. Now, the possibility of coming out retirement just to keep up and also put my alts through fractal college is just going to kill me.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.5 / Asrock z68 pro3 / GTX 570 TF III PE / G Skill 8gb 1600 / Antec HCG 620w / HAF 922
#2TaijouroukunPosted 11/18/2012 5:00:45 AM
that's what a gear treadmill is about: here's the stuff for you to get. you will grind it, you will hate it, and you will love to hate it. there are a lot of masochists out there.
#3Jackofshadows55Posted 11/18/2012 5:08:12 AM
They are catering to all all play styles casuals can do the lower difficulty fractals. And hardcores get to grind out ascended. I see nothing wrong in this.
#4Jackofshadows55Posted 11/18/2012 5:09:25 AM
I forgot both my wife and I have gotten your rng item not that bad of droprate i imagine cause we both done a total of 3 full sets of fractals
#5DiamondBlade82Posted 11/18/2012 5:18:03 AM(edited)
Jackofshadows55 posted...
They are catering to all all play styles casuals can do the lower difficulty fractals. And hardcores get to grind out ascended. I see nothing wrong in this.

Thats not really the issue...Ascended gear is flat out BETTER than Exotics. Im a hardcore player going for my legendary, will have it soon but I dont want to grind anymore after that. I simply want to enjoy my game in my full exotics and legendary axe; but now im going to have to grind for another level of gear to keep up with the stats.

Someone on the main forums did the math. Just ONE ascended ring is 13% better than a piece of Exotic gear, rings/backpacks and soon ascended armor, now you have a toon that is craping all over my exotic warrior.

Im dreading the grind for my legendary, but I visioned never grinding this much again in this game so thats what pretty much got me through it and I'll be happy as hell once I have my axe....

Now ascended gear.........just that thought of it made me only log in twice this weekend for about 10 minutes total knowing that all my exotic armor will be worthless in a few months...

/sigh
#6Cool_new_namePosted 11/18/2012 5:18:30 AM
Somewhere, at some point, Anet's methodology in achieving player retention began to insult the intelligence of players.
#7koroko_korobasePosted 11/18/2012 5:49:54 AM
Defilade posted...

Is that what that does? I got it off my very first mini-dungeon in Fractals.
---
It's like snorting a powdered rainbow while eating Nyan Cat....
#8tehdudPosted 11/18/2012 5:52:16 AM
koroko_korobase posted...
Defilade posted...

its used to make pink back items.

i gave up trying to get one to drop. with the way this game is, i wouldnt be surprised if some accounts are bugged so they never get anything
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#9steker16Posted 11/18/2012 6:13:36 AM
koroko_korobase posted...
Defilade posted...

its used to make pink back items.

i gave up trying to get one to drop. with the way this game is, i wouldnt be surprised if some accounts are bugged so they never get anything

ya that sounds reasonble and not completely idiotic at all, good job
---
nomnomnom
#10DraconisRexPosted 11/18/2012 6:26:33 AM
Cool_new_name posted...
Somewhere, at some point, Anet's methodology in achieving player retention began to insult the intelligence of players.

You know, sunshine, not everything originally intended for release was in release. This armor is some of it.

So, unless you're dumb enough to think they made all these armor skins to retain players in your implied 'ANet is desperate' subtext. And, therefore, did all the work on those armor skins in two-months just to make a point for you (despite also doing the prep-work for the Halloween even, as well), you need to realize this was always part of the game as designed and quit your pointless ****ing whining.

They bloody well told us six, maybe seven, months ago not everything was going to be ready for release. Plus they told us they had tons of post release materials and events to release over the next year. That include social functions, guild functions, personal stuff, armor, weapons, mobs, dynamic events, dungeons, etc...

They were quite up-front about this.

Further, these additions should catch nobody, at least nobody with the awareness of a turnip, by surprise. MMOs are not FINAL RELEASE PRODUCTS. They expand and adapt over their lives. Even crap MMOs like STO which just released 'season 7' and a whole bunch of new material.

The ascended armor is an intermediary between exotic and legendary. It was intended, like many other things, from the beginning. But it, like many other things, had to be cut because there were other, more pressing problems to solve/polish and trade-offs (due to normal business resource restraints) had to be made to make the 08/28/12 release date.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead