Is it a good time to start? It seems to be fading!

#1VoelgerPosted 11/18/2012 8:25:16 PM
Topic question? I can't get on the official forums because I don't own the game, so I have to ask here. I am a very casual mmo player. Is now a good time to start? There is so much hate and complaining on the forums lately. Since this game received great early reviews, I have heard no positive info. Is the player bass happy? How is Anet? Are they supporting their game? This is one fear of mine because there is no sub.

Should I spend my money else where, like Dishonored, or Storm Legion, or even something else like secret world?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#2PikaleyPosted 11/18/2012 8:30:34 PM
most of this board is trolls spewing their crap about how they hate the game and they cant move on until the rest of us see it their way, so pay them no mind, tbh most of the players are too busy enjoying the game

if you are an endgame player ill tell you now you will not like this game, if you are one that enjoys questing/exploring/pvp/ etc you will love it

many of these trolls will tell you game is dying but todays event that packed out all servers and many overflows says differently my overflow in particular probably had 100 to 150 players doing the event together, hard to really count with combat and lag from so many ppl but it was a huge number of people
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#3AkazoraPosted 11/18/2012 8:38:55 PM(edited)
I've been playing again since the 16th. On Jade Quarry, most of the zones i've been going through from 30-47 so far have been deserted and i've had to solo most of the way up.

If a DE takes long enough, one other person might show up, and there are a couple zone group DEs that are still popular but the ones that were unpopular before are straight out impossible now, like Kol or the Krait Blood Witch.

I suspect everybody is either in the starting zones from trials or level 80. Not really unexpected and its not like its hard to solo anyways, but it was clearly designed if not for the zergs in the first week, for at least 3-4 people per DE.

Don't know if that would bother you or not, it might not be a big deal. I wouldn't buy the Secret World though, its got a unique theme but awful gameplay.
#4Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 8:37:52 PM
Now when you say no end game content, you mean raids? Are there dungeons throughout the levels like other Mmo's? By the time it would take me to hit max level, what is the chance Anet would have released a top level raid?

I don't mind investing if Anet keeps supporting the game. I guess I have been kind of spoiled from Trion with rift. Which I stopped playing once I hit top level. It is hard for me to find te.
---
#5PikaleyPosted 11/18/2012 8:43:29 PM
Voelger posted...
Now when you say no end game content, you mean raids? Are there dungeons throughout the levels like other Mmo's? By the time it would take me to hit max level, what is the chance Anet would have released a top level raid?

I don't mind investing if Anet keeps supporting the game. I guess I have been kind of spoiled from Trion with rift. Which I stopped playing once I hit top level. It is hard for me to find te.

yes i mean raids, if you enjoy raids and gear treadmills you will not like this game, that said there is a new dungeon every 10 levels i believe and then 3 at lv 80, these have a story mode and after you have completed story an explorable(hard mode) version of the dungeon unlocks and these drop tokens and such used to buy gear specific to that dungeon.

there are large dynamic events like the one today and there are several dragon events in the game that have a large number of people fighting against them and when done they drop a chest of rewards if you are looking for raids(trinity based dungeons) you will be disappointed

just dont want you jumping into the game expecting to play a tank or w/e in a traditional raid and be disappointed, this game is built for those of us that enjoy exploring, story, leveling alts and that kind of thing. It is not intended for people that like to raid every week in a hope of getting their best in slot gear to maximize their dps.....just my 2 cents
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#6Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 8:49:18 PM
Pikaley, I think you just made up my mind thank you. I enjoy building a character and becoming stronger with new abilities, but I hate the gear grind treadmill because my play time is too inconsistent . I loved Rift, but I always found it obvious that I don't play nearly as much as those that have a guild and raid with tier 1,2,3, and up gear.
---
#7Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 8:49:54 PM
And it sucks
---
#8robokillPosted 11/18/2012 10:14:07 PM
I've played up until level 40, only done pve stuff and I recommend buying it. I don't really care about endgame and the game so far is insanely fun. The gameplay is better than in any mmo I've ever played by quite a bit. It rewards exploration and it's a beautiful game, if I get to the endgame and it sucks I'm just going to start a new character because I will happily play through again with a completely different playstyle.
#9Damien94Posted 11/18/2012 10:51:58 PM
Pikaley posted...

yes i mean raids, if you enjoy raids and gear treadmills you will not like this game...

Be careful TC, this is one of the keywords of the propaganda that is highly misleading. There is a gear treadmill in GW2. In fact, the grind to Legendaries is worse than many raid grinds. Just don't let anyone tell you there isn't a gear treadmill or gear grind in GW2, because that's basically all it is beyond leveling and exploring (and PvP if you're into that).
---
Contrary to popular belief, opinions can be, and often are, wrong.
#10OtakuD50Posted 11/18/2012 11:54:36 PM
I wouldn't discount raids either. Is Lost Shores finale not a raid?
---
Natsume (4th): Lv.99 1000 Affection 23:05:36 1038000GP
"Now, gods, stand up for bastards!