Pros/Cons of necro v mesmer?

#1LunarApplePosted 11/18/2012 9:33:52 PM(edited)
Can't decide which to make.

Anyone have anything to say about these two? Primarily PvE and dungeon runs. Though I have no issues with solo, as well.
---
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.
#2NoisyPinkBubblePosted 11/18/2012 11:15:40 PM(edited)
Solo pve I'd take a necro, hands down. Though a mesmer does just fine, it lacks the massive aoe that necro has.

Dungeons are a toss up however. Most would probably take the mesmer, purely for time warp. But again, necros can have quite a bit of aoe potential, which imo makes them more desirable in a dungeon setting. Necro tends to be quite a bit more tanky as well, so if **** starts to hit the fan, you'll be more likely to survive than a mesmer would.

I guess I'm biased towards necromancers. Honestly though, neither would be my first choice for dungeons. They work fine, but with the way things are balanced right now...well, yeah.

Also I know you didn't ask about pvp, but I'll comment on that too. Necro is much more limited in most pvp situations, whereas a mesmer will be much more at home. One exception would be in WvW. Plague Form, and the 15 or 20 seconds of perma blind it brings makes a necro invaluable to any zerg. Solo roaming, a mesmer will do much better though. I hear that necro's are a pretty good counter to some bunker builds in s/tpvp, so that might be a nice positive there.
---
Why is it that no matter how much you shake and dance, the last drop is always on your pants?
#3LunarApple(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:25:31 PM
Solo pve I'd take a necro, hands down. Though a mesmer does just fine, it lacks the massive aoe that necro has.

Dungeons are a toss up however. Most would probably take the mesmer, purely for time warp. But again, necros can have quite a bit of aoe potential, which imo makes them more desirable in a dungeon setting. Necro tends to be quite a bit more tanky as well, so if **** starts to hit the fan, you'll be more likely to survive than a mesmer would.

I guess I'm biased towards necromancers. Honestly though, neither would be my first choice for dungeons. They work fine, but with the way things are balanced right now...well, yeah.

Also I know you didn't ask about pvp, but I'll comment on that too. Necro is much more limited in most pvp situations, whereas a mesmer will be much more at home. One exception would be in WvW. Plague Form, and the 15 or 20 seconds of perma blind it brings makes a necro invaluable to any zerg. Solo roaming, a mesmer will do much better though. I hear that necro's are a pretty good counter to some bunker builds in s/tpvp, so that might be a nice positive there.

Wow that was a great post. Thanks man :D

I was already leanig to necro, too actually, so cool beans lol
---
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.
#4MechangmenowPosted 11/18/2012 11:30:31 PM
For PvP, necros don't have as many options as Mesmer's do, and I find killing a good Mesmer to be much more difficult than killing a good necro.

For PvE, necros can lay down conditions like a boss and because most mobs have no condition removals, you have a good advantage. Necros also have the highest health pool (along with Warriors) so you are naturally pretty tanky.

Necros DON'T have a huge burst ability though; since your damage comes primarily from conditions (unless you spec away from it), you'll have to wait and apply. Mesmer's can actually burst pretty strongly if you invest in traits that work toward illusions.

In terms of dungeons, I'd take Mesmer over Necro 2 to 1. Time Warp is great, but Mesmer's also have lots and lots of projectile control. Reflect and absorb are both available for you.

Overall, I like Mesmer's more just because it feels cool. Sometimes I wish I was tankier but considering how I have 3 illusions on the field, it's a fair trade-off.
---
Culinary Institute of Tyria: www.citchef.com
Youtube: Mechangmenows
#5LunarApple(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:41:28 PM
For PvP, necros don't have as many options as Mesmer's do, and I find killing a good Mesmer to be much more difficult than killing a good necro.

For PvE, necros can lay down conditions like a boss and because most mobs have no condition removals, you have a good advantage. Necros also have the highest health pool (along with Warriors) so you are naturally pretty tanky.

Necros DON'T have a huge burst ability though; since your damage comes primarily from conditions (unless you spec away from it), you'll have to wait and apply. Mesmer's can actually burst pretty strongly if you invest in traits that work toward illusions.

In terms of dungeons, I'd take Mesmer over Necro 2 to 1. Time Warp is great, but Mesmer's also have lots and lots of projectile control. Reflect and absorb are both available for you.

Overall, I like Mesmer's more just because it feels cool. Sometimes I wish I was tankier but considering how I have 3 illusions on the field, it's a fair trade-off.

Hmm. Yeah that's the trade off I've recognized, the pure usefulness that the Mesmer brings. Thanks for the post, makes the weighing of options much more informative :D
---