magic find gear, how does it work and is it worth it?

#1Tooter_RooterPosted 11/19/2012 6:34:54 PM
been thinking about trying it out, but unsure if it'd be worth the time
#2Crimson_SpiderPosted 11/19/2012 10:26:40 PM
Magic find increases the likelyhood that you'll get rare and exotic items from enemy drops by multiplying the magic find percentage by the original drop rate.

So, say there was a 2% chance of getting a rare item from an enemy. If you have 50% magic find, then that makes it a 3% chance to drop. 100% magic find makes it a 4% chance to drop. So on and so fourth.

From people say it is good for grinding events in Orr, but I myself don't use Magic Find.
---
Rest in Peace City of Heroes: April 27, 2004 - November 30, 2012. We will miss you.
Cause of death: "Realignment of Company Focus" by NCsoft.
#3flaminglinkPosted 11/19/2012 10:28:14 PM
Use rares, not exotics.
---
http://gamercards.exophase.com/204819.png http://raptr.com/badge/Mistilteinn/fs_lastplayed.png
#4dejavu1982Posted 11/19/2012 10:59:56 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
Magic find increases the likelyhood that you'll get rare and exotic items from enemy drops by multiplying the magic find percentage by the original drop rate.

So, say there was a 2% chance of getting a rare item from an enemy. If you have 50% magic find, then that makes it a 3% chance to drop. 100% magic find makes it a 4% chance to drop. So on and so fourth.

From people say it is good for grinding events in Orr, but I myself don't use Magic Find.

100%=1% according to developers post in official forums
#5Tooter_Rooter(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 3:30:24 AM
Crimson_Spider posted...

so if that's true, I guess that means its not worth it? especially considering it means not getting another bonus
#6steker16Posted 11/20/2012 3:32:43 AM
its worth it if you're running around Orr doing events for a while. but other than that, no its not worth using
---
nomnomnom
#7JebSkatr2Posted 11/20/2012 6:32:24 AM
dejavu1982 posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

Can you link that post? Not saying you're wrong, this just contradicts what I'm remembering from another dev post where it is multiplicative of the loot table's values, not just a straight 1%.
#8holiday1021Posted 11/20/2012 9:54:41 AM
JebSkatr2 posted...
dejavu1982 posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

Can you link that post? Not saying you're wrong, this just contradicts what I'm remembering from another dev post where it is multiplicative of the loot table's values, not just a straight 1%.

I remember hearing something similar, 50% only increases your chance by .5%.
---
GT - VelvetHoliday
#9tryv1Posted 11/20/2012 10:20:04 AM
holiday1021 posted...
JebSkatr2 posted...
dejavu1982 posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...

I remember hearing something similar, 50% only increases your chance by .5%.

I highly doubt this. The only way this makes sense is if all enemy drop rates are 1%, which they aren't. If it's a static increase then there would be no reason to use percentages.
---
Procrastinators unite tomorrow!
#10ReikkenPosted 11/20/2012 11:04:54 AM
I read a dev post that said killing things rolls on a loot table, and x% magic find increased your chances on those rolls by x%
---
Capitalism, ho!