Best thief heals?

#1BatenKalasPosted 12/3/2012 6:38:21 AM
What do you guys think?

I've been playing a thief for the past week and I really enjoy some of the skills that the class utilizes, but survivability seems to be a bit of an issue at times. I'm trying to remedy that by sinking some trait points into vitality as of late, but what I really need to settle on is how to best heal my thief during combat.

I was using Signet of Malice for a while because I thought hey, free heals all the time while I attack sounds great! Turns out it wasn't so great for me when battles were intense. I switched back to Hide in Shadows and have found that I have way more survivability with that skill, especially when I use it in a rotation with Shadow Refuge.

To fellow thieves, do you find Hide in Shadows + Shadow Refuge to work best? I haven't chosen to learn Withdraw, how useful is that?
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#2RushUnpluggedPosted 12/3/2012 7:16:11 AM
Depends on your playstyle and weapon choice.
On my thief I use mainly D+D with P+P as backup, so all the multi-hit attacks make the Signet very effective. But different weapon choices make Hide In Shadows more useful (it's certainly strong, with heal, Regeneration, condition removal and stealth). It can also be more useful for a PvP/WvW ambush Thief, combined with other stealth skills.

I haven't had much luck with Withdraw, it has a very short cooldown, but seems in general a weaker choice.
---
PSN=RushUnplugged
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/RushUnplugged.png
#3azuresou1Posted 12/3/2012 8:29:11 AM
Hide in Shadows is easily the best for any non-specialized build.

Signet of Malice's passive effect is pretty weak, and is not worth it unless you are stacking Healing Power and are using multi-hit attacks. It's pretty much viable only with P/P, and to have it be useful, you need to murder your own DPS. It DOES work very well underwater, since combat is a lot slower, and you have a ton of multi-hit attacks which will cause it to heal a respectable amount.

Withdraw sucks. You shouldn't be getting hit that much that make the short CD worth it, and the backward dodge means that you need to be careful when you're using it - no usage around cliffs. Plus, all the damaging conditions stick with you. Has some fringe use underwater, but only as a movement ability.

Hide in Shadows is the gold standard - your biggest heal, clears off damaging conditions, and puts you in stealth which not only de-aggros you, but also gives you your stealth attack, thus increasing your DPS.
---
Face it, Blake Griffin is more a SF than (Rashard) Lewis is - Bullet_Proof_18
Formerly Known As SSJ5Vegeta
#4LOLownageasdPosted 12/3/2012 10:01:11 AM
really hide in shadows best? withdraw sucks?

how much time do you guys have played on your thieves?

withdraw is your highest heal per second, has no cast time, and gives you huge mobility. in fights like lupicus or alpha where you take massive damage in 1 blow and need to be at max hp at all times, this is the heal to have. it'll heal you up the fastest and also provide you with a dodge.

otherwise i use signet of malice. it's use is a little weaker than withdraw but you have a passive heal to heal through conditions or aoe damage when you are not in danger of getting killed. if you trait for lower signet cooldown it beats withdraw in hp/s

hide in shadows is more of a pvp skill, it's garbage in pve because it is the worst hp/s and because of the way stealth works aggro drop is only temporary when you are in stealth and once you drop out of stealth the monster returns focus on you. condition removal is ok but its available through utility. i only use hide in shadows for the stealth when skipping monsters or for encounters like protecting mag where you know you wont survive long enough to heal twice
---
"donot anger me. you have not yet begun to experiance the worst of my rage" -me
#5azuresou1Posted 12/3/2012 10:57:26 AM
LOL at Heal per Second, how often are you planning on getting hit? Or for that matter, why do you need a passive heal?

As a Thief, you can dodge more than any other class, between cheaper dodges, endurance on dagger autoattack, and a bunch of skills that evade (Death Blossom, Evasive Arrow). You should rarely be getting hit, and when you do, Hide in Shadows will prevent you from dying without destroying your positioning while giving you a damage spike.

Have fun Withdrawing off harpy ledges, or into lava.
---
Face it, Blake Griffin is more a SF than (Rashard) Lewis is - Bullet_Proof_18
Formerly Known As SSJ5Vegeta
#6BatenKalas(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 11:02:40 AM
azuresou1 posted...
LOL at Heal per Second, how often are you planning on getting hit? Or for that matter, why do you need a passive heal?

It heals when you inflict damage, not when you take it.
---
The Review Depot - http://reviewdepot.net
#7steker16Posted 12/3/2012 4:53:24 PM
malice is the best thief heal, no question. azuresou has no idea what he's saying
---
nomnomnom
#8_m_town_fan_Posted 12/3/2012 5:51:37 PM
azuresou1 posted...

As a Thief, you can dodge more than any other class, between cheaper dodges, endurance on dagger autoattack, and a bunch of skills that evade (Death Blossom, Evasive Arrow). You should rarely be getting hit, and when you do, Hide in Shadows will prevent you from dying without destroying your positioning while giving you a damage spike.

stopped reading there..
---
sig
#9ReikkenPosted 12/3/2012 7:26:51 PM
signet of malice is awesome when you're spamming death blossom and caltrops or spamming pistol whip on multiple targets or anything that gets you lots of hits, like dagger storm vs lots of enemies
hide in shadows is awesome when you need condition removal and/or stealth
withdraw is awesome for evade builds. withdraw + vigor on heal + feline grace = near infinite dodges. also good when you just can't make great use of the signet. Just be careful of your positioning when you use it. Bind the "turn around" button to something you can press
---
Capitalism, ho!
#10kpkerPosted 12/3/2012 7:29:48 PM

It works the same was as DPS. When you're attacking you want the monster's hp to go down as fast as possible. When you're healing you want your hp to go up as fast as possible. It's not a matter of whether or not you need it, it's foolish to not use your best options when it's available to you.

Hide in Shadows is hardly a damage spike because of it's cast time. You could argue that Malice is better for your DPS because with the passive heal you don't have to cast anything and interrupt your auto attack chain but any difference in DPS from healing skills is negligible.

Stop being bad if you're Withdrawing off ledges. You can fall off a ledge using Death Blossom or Disabling shot but that doesn't mean they're bad skills.