GW2 would have a great playerbase if only they worked on it more.

#11steker16Posted 12/4/2012 3:26:38 PM
JebSkatr2 posted...
They hold an almost monthly reddit chat where...

Monthly.. Once per month? This is the problem.

poor babby feels entitled to something, isnt that cute
---
nomnomnom
#12TheCrazed420Posted 12/4/2012 3:34:32 PM
NicoGrimm posted...
They need to take notes from Riot Games. LoL has basically zero bugs, gets continual balance tweaks, and there is extensive communication with players. Patch preview videos, in depth forum posts on gameplay goals and direction, quick responses to feedback, etc.

You of course understand that LoL isn't an MMO, or an open world, right? It's a LOT easier to keep something like LoL or DOTA, or whatever else bug free than it is an MMO.

Was gonna post the same thing. Apples to oranges.
#13JebSkatr2Posted 12/4/2012 3:45:20 PM
CenaxKikia posted...
JebSkatr2 posted...

You think the devs taking hours out of their work day to talk host an open dialogue with the players should be.....more than once a month?

Why exactly?
#14Raven_ShikumiPosted 12/4/2012 6:05:21 PM
There is still no gear treadmill, but I suppose it's hard to understand that when you don't actually play the game.

Getting Agony gear is done only if you want to do fractals all day, erryday, and guess how you get agony gear? By doing fractals.

*whispers*It's only for fractals. *hint hint*
---
Mowowowow.
#15NCPwnPosted 12/4/2012 6:08:35 PM
I don't always test my code, but when i do, I do it in production servers.
Stay buggy my friends.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#16KagerasuPosted 12/4/2012 10:34:13 PM
Reikken posted...
They need to take notes from Riot Games. LoL has basically zero bugs, gets continual balance tweaks, and there is extensive communication with players. Patch preview videos, in depth forum posts on gameplay goals and direction, quick responses to feedback, etc.

Full of !@$#. I'm not saying Riot Games isn't a good company, hell as a game company they are clearly #1, in all objective aspects.

But to say League has no bugs is beyond hilarious. I can name champions who have over 10 bugs to them alone, and has had them for over 2 years. Mastery/Rune change bugs have never been fixed and can affect anyone randomly.

Anet can definitely learn from Riot, and so can everyone else. But don't put them on a damn pedestal like they are perfect.

And balance? Do I really need to get into that? If you actually think League is remotely balanced in any competitively satisfactory level you gotta be joking me. The only reason it's alright is because the game model doesn't require you to stick with a champion when it gets nerfed to the ground. There's no commitment level beyond wanting to play a champion.

In GW2, how are you gonna WvW or PvE end game without an 80?

Different game genre, different balancing issues. Go on the LoL board and you'll see crying about everything from champions to items. Doesn't mean LoL isn't more balanced than GW2, it definitely is. Just don't exaggerate.
#17MSN 04 SazabiPosted 12/4/2012 10:49:02 PM(edited)
It's balanced enough when you consider competitive games have bans.

You don't actually strive for real "balance" in those kinds of games either, since they would require that each character be a mirror copy of each other. That would be perfect balance, and not interesting at all. Imbalances with strengths and weaknesses is what makes the game fun. Of course, at times you do have some champs that got overbuffed or overnerfed, but those are generally resolved within a patch.

A lot of it also has to do with player perception of a champ's strength. A lot of champs are not considered strong until someone popularizes them, and then they get nerfed. Or some get nerfed repeatedly, dropping in popularity, and then rising in popularity again when the pros show they're still good.

Also, http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/perfect-imbalance

edit: it is a bit much to put them on a pedestal, but at the same time you did say they're #1... and this stuff is all relative. Plus you gotta consider riot games started off very small, and their client used to totally suck...

---
I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
#18JenniferTatePosted 12/5/2012 12:00:52 AM
JebSkatr2 posted...
CenaxKikia posted...
JebSkatr2 posted...

You think the devs taking hours out of their work day to talk host an open dialogue with the players should be.....more than once a month?

Why exactly?

Blizzard does it near daily. Check out MMO-Champion's compilations. I think that spoiled me a little, as it was nice getting explanations (even if sometimes it's not what the crowd wants to hear) about changes and content.

The least they could do is weekly posts or dialogues. Look at the Ranger forum where Jon Peters popped up, dangled information about a patch...and then when the patch hit weeks later and didn't address what anyone, he or the players, had discussed, he showed up later with a fluff comment and hasn't been seen since.

I know that MMOs have the old My Class is Broken groupthink mentality in each class, but I'd love Jon or someone to come in and matter of factly highlight professions and explain how they envisioned them. For every class. It doesn't need to be an overhaul, but, for example, the people who complain about Ranger Sword 1 rooting, and others who have made it work, wouldn't it be nice if ANet just set the record on how it's working/not working and what the design and intent is? I'd love a behind the scenes on professions, dungeons, events, gear.

Again, I'm not saying anything is broken or isn't broken, but I do love when developers keep the crowd appraised and educated rather than being cryptic.

If not Blizzard, I was impressed by Cryptic's community relationship in Champions Online. Even when they had answers people didn't like, at least they took a stance rather than letting the community quarrel on and on about hypotheticals.
---
I don't take the orders from the war room anymore
This is one recruit who surrenders