Thinking of getting this, convince me (honest opinions please)

#1carlsotoPosted 12/4/2012 10:44:36 PM(edited)
Ok, so I used to really enjoy playing WoW (before things got messed with post WoTLK) and I enjoyed it alot. I also played SWTOR, and I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play and haven't found one I like. I tried Diablo 3 as a substitute, but that got too repetitive and boring for me.

Reasons why I enjoyed WoW (and WoW style games).
- The class and race diversity. I enjoyed how it's hard to have to identical characters in the game.
- The fact that you can play as a DPS/tank/healer specs, and that there were varying ways to play specs.
- The diversity of the game. You can go and solo play quests by yourself, or do PvP/raids with others. Or simply go off and meander and build up professions to make money.
- I love the open world style of WoW, LoL style games where you're stuck in a dungeon/limited area bore me a ton

What I didn't like about WoW
- You had to constantly stay playing to keep atop the game
- The monthly fee
- The constant crappy "upgrades" to the game (like cata and that pandaria crap).

So I'm looking in to guild wars 2. I'm intrigued by it greatly. So it's up to you guys to sway me either way, does it sound like GW2 is something that I would enjoy and if not, is there another recommendation you have? Please be honest, don't just piss and moan that the game sucks if you don't like it.
---
GT = xxCARLSONxx
PSN = xvCARLSONvx
#2BrackiePosted 12/4/2012 10:46:05 PM(edited)
OkFirst, by and large don't ask trollfaqs on whether you should get a game, especially an MMO. Just read a broad consensus of reviews and watch some youtube videos. That's all you need to do. People here will only give u agenda based opinions, with the rare genuine one thrown in.

Secondly, why did you think WOW went downhill after WOTLK?
#3tehdudPosted 12/4/2012 10:48:16 PM
first of all. ignore brackie.

second. read this topic.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/75938-where-has-everyone-gone/page__st__330
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#4KagerasuPosted 12/4/2012 10:49:43 PM
No worries though, I'm almost certain GW2 is for you, since no one has taken the xxCARLSONxx tag. ...

Well maybe, but you definitely got XxXcArLsOnXxX in the bag.
#5carlsoto(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:50:55 PM
Brackie posted...
OkFirst, by and large don't ask trollfaqs on whether you should get a game, especially an MMO. Just read a broad consensus of reviews and watch some youtube videos. That's all you need to do. People here will only give u agenda based opinions, with the rare genuine one thrown in.

Secondly, why did you think WOW went downhill after WOTLK?

I just lost interest with how much they changed everything. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I liked how you had to actually stick to a rotation, and alter it with different boosts that equipment provide. It felt like once Cata came out, the game was catered to the casual player and took the pride of playing well away. I went from being one of the best ret/holy paladins on the server (honestly not trying to brag), to having people who were mediocre in wotlk/bc become on par with me in cata. That pride of being good was diluted in cata.
---
GT = xxCARLSONxx
PSN = xvCARLSONvx
#6carlsoto(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:53:59 PM
Kagerasu posted...
No worries though, I'm almost certain GW2 is for you, since no one has taken the xxCARLSONxx tag. ...

Well maybe, but you definitely got XxXcArLsOnXxX in the bag.

You're implying I'm childish because I wanted my GT to be my last name? Maybe I should have went with kushedout420, or ownedyou01205054623. Sorry, but I'm not a stoner and I don't live in the matrix
---
GT = xxCARLSONxx
PSN = xvCARLSONvx
#7lilj812Posted 12/4/2012 10:56:59 PM
tehdud posted...
first of all. ignore brackie.

second. read this topic.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/75938-where-has-everyone-gone/page__st__330

You wish you were me.
---
NCpwn: That's cool. D3 was a fun game.
Xeeh Bitz best hits: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64689532
#8tehdudPosted 12/4/2012 11:00:08 PM
ahahahaha good one
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#9BrackiePosted 12/4/2012 11:05:40 PM
carlsoto posted...
Ok, so I used to really enjoy playing WoW (before things got messed with post WoTLK) and I enjoyed it alot. I also played SWTOR, and I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play and haven't found one I like. I tried Diablo 3 as a substitute, but that got too repetitive and boring for me.

Reasons why I enjoyed WoW (and WoW style games).
- The class and race diversity. I enjoyed how it's hard to have to identical characters in the game.
- The fact that you can play as a DPS/tank/healer specs, and that there were varying ways to play specs.
- The diversity of the game. You can go and solo play quests by yourself, or do PvP/raids with others. Or simply go off and meander and build up professions to make money.
- I love the open world style of WoW, LoL style games where you're stuck in a dungeon/limited area bore me a ton

What I didn't like about WoW
- You had to constantly stay playing to keep atop the game
- The monthly fee
- The constant crappy "upgrades" to the game (like cata and that pandaria crap).

So I'm looking in to guild wars 2. I'm intrigued by it greatly. So it's up to you guys to sway me either way, does it sound like GW2 is something that I would enjoy and if not, is there another recommendation you have? Please be honest, don't just piss and moan that the game sucks if you don't like it.

Firstly, ignore tehdud..guy has a serious axe to grind and has daddy issues..but lets not go there. I will try to answer your initial query as succinctly as I can:

Going by what you said about WOW:

-There are 5 different races all very unique from each other and there is a reasonable amount of customisation on offer from faces, hairs, body size and even a biography which influences your pesonal story.

- The game does not have a traditional trinity in that every player can tank/dps/heal depending on what skills/traits and weapons you use. Some people have found it unique and freeing , some people find that you are a jack of all traits, master of none. At the start i wasn't sure, but now that i am used to it, personally i would find it hard to go back to the old system.

- Like most MMO's you can do you own thing, go off and solo, do achievements, jumping puzzles, dungeons, world bosses, pvp, W v W. There is soemthign to do for everyone. hardcore raiders from previous games have complained that there is not enough end game or raid style things to do, but sections of the community are glad there isn't..Have to wait and see where the game goes in reagrd to this.

Goin on your negatives of WOW:

Well firstly, no monthly fee so thats not an issue. You don't have to keep grinding to get best gear or else you fall behind either. They ahve recently introduced a new tier that si currently restricted to a back piece and rings which has divided the community but initially the margins are so small, that they won't make a major difference to your numbers or performance.

As for upgrades, so far there has been new content monthly ranging from really cool liek the October halloween one to poorly implemented like Novembers Lost shores which was bugged, poorly thought out and generaly a bit of a misfire. December will have the wintersday stuff and Jan and feb promises to have a whole expansions worth of content put together ..we shall see.

Generally, I really like the game however i have a few criticisms of it. You cannot dual at this stage, there are still a lot of bugs, no guild halls, pvp is limited to 5 maps atm, some classes seem a lot more usefull and playable than others at this stage, some of the bosses have ridiculous hp and seem cheap and unfair...

But overall, I really like it..MMO wise I can't see anything coming up other than Titan to touch it imo..
#10CruxisInhibitorPosted 12/4/2012 11:13:36 PM
Honest opinion without going into depth on all the fundamental issues the game design poses, it's not a good time to play. It's really a premature game and feels bad when you get right down to it. It seems to center around shallow gear grind as the meat of gameplay. There are no roles in combat, skills are static, and specs are super-homogenized. Combat just doesn't feel on par with how it should be to retain a player base depth-wise. Wait a few years or at least till the first expansion comes out. ArenaNet has no clue what they're doing right now, the community is volatile, and the game is in limbo for a lot of people until they introduce some Quality of Life changes. Come back in a year or so, then maybe i can recommend. Otherwise, on merit, this game is 100% better than WoW, if only because of questing structure and content delivery.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD