Thinking of getting this, convince me (honest opinions please)

#11lilj812Posted 12/4/2012 11:16:26 PM
CruxisInhibitor posted...
Honest opinion without going into depth on all the fundamental issues the game design poses, it's not a good time to play. It's really a premature game and feels bad when you get right down to it. It seems to center around shallow gear grind as the meat of gameplay. There are no roles in combat, skills are static, and specs are super-homogenized. Combat just doesn't feel on par with how it should be to retain a player base depth-wise. Wait a few years or at least till the first expansion comes out. ArenaNet has no clue what they're doing right now, the community is volatile, and the game is in limbo for a lot of people until they introduce some Quality of Life changes. Come back in a year or so, then maybe i can recommend. Otherwise, on merit, this game is 100% better than WoW, if only because of questing structure and content delivery.

Paragraphs are your friends.

And seriously, homogenized? You still use that buzzword man?
---
NCpwn: That's cool. D3 was a fun game.
Xeeh Bitz best hits: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64689532
#12BrackiePosted 12/5/2012 12:04:54 AM
lilj812 posted...
CruxisInhibitor posted...
Honest opinion without going into depth on all the fundamental issues the game design poses, it's not a good time to play. It's really a premature game and feels bad when you get right down to it. It seems to center around shallow gear grind as the meat of gameplay. There are no roles in combat, skills are static, and specs are super-homogenized. Combat just doesn't feel on par with how it should be to retain a player base depth-wise. Wait a few years or at least till the first expansion comes out. ArenaNet has no clue what they're doing right now, the community is volatile, and the game is in limbo for a lot of people until they introduce some Quality of Life changes. Come back in a year or so, then maybe i can recommend. Otherwise, on merit, this game is 100% better than WoW, if only because of questing structure and content delivery.

Paragraphs are your friends.

And seriously, homogenized? You still use that buzzword man?

Everytime I see him write that I'm like MAN! Get a THESAURUS!
#13rest21Posted 12/5/2012 12:08:54 AM
Every time I see him cry on here I ask myself why doesn't crux just go live in the GW1 forums. I mean the guy is a massive fanboy of that game. I played gw1 on and off since day one, but you could tell from the get go that GW2 was going for something different. The game didn't live up to your high expectations of a game you fanboy all over.. Get over it, move on. Guy is always spouting "One year" Well then buddy, leave for that year and we'll see you then. Instead of copy/pasting the same damn paragraph every chance you get.

At least spice it up with some new stuff.
#14FalsadoomPosted 12/5/2012 12:09:57 AM
carlsoto posted...
Ok, so I used to really enjoy playing WoW (before things got messed with post WoTLK) and I enjoyed it alot. I also played SWTOR, and I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I'm looking for a new MMORPG to play and haven't found one I like. I tried Diablo 3 as a substitute, but that got too repetitive and boring for me.

Reasons why I enjoyed WoW (and WoW style games).
- The class and race diversity. I enjoyed how it's hard to have to identical characters in the game.
- The fact that you can play as a DPS/tank/healer specs, and that there were varying ways to play specs.
- The diversity of the game. You can go and solo play quests by yourself, or do PvP/raids with others. Or simply go off and meander and build up professions to make money.
- I love the open world style of WoW, LoL style games where you're stuck in a dungeon/limited area bore me a ton

What I didn't like about WoW
- You had to constantly stay playing to keep atop the game
- The monthly fee
- The constant crappy "upgrades" to the game (like cata and that pandaria crap).

So I'm looking in to guild wars 2. I'm intrigued by it greatly. So it's up to you guys to sway me either way, does it sound like GW2 is something that I would enjoy and if not, is there another recommendation you have? Please be honest, don't just piss and moan that the game sucks if you don't like it.

It's worth a tour for sure. Lots of special things done right. However, after you level to 80, you either like dungeons, pvp, or level another character, Anet seems to be pretty much sacrificing the overland game in favor of the other 2 styles.
#15Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/5/2012 1:09:10 AM
Go for it TC, sounds just like your game.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#16Raven_ShikumiPosted 12/5/2012 2:14:21 AM
Definitely worth getting. Go for it.
---
Mowowowow.
#17NicoGrimmPosted 12/5/2012 8:50:33 AM
They ahve recently introduced a new tier that si currently restricted to a back piece and rings which has divided the community but initially the margins are so small, that they won't make a major difference to your numbers or performance.

TO be fair, it's a tier they introduced that's solely used to do more of the dungeon where that tier is obtained. Right? I don't think it actually "split" anyone.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#18Ultimate_NoobPosted 12/5/2012 10:30:24 AM
You'll like it if you're the kind of person who looks at the armor's looks first before its stats -- barring obvious non-applicables like rings. You might not like it especially at max level if you're the opposite of that, due to the static gains and the lack continued increases. Once you get your gear from one of the top three tiers (exotic, ascended, and legendary), the rest of how well you play is pretty much all on you.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said by others.
---
You'll hear "Oh no, uber" or "Oh no, crits" but you'll never hear, "Oh no.. a quickie."-TF2 player on Quick-Fix
#19ScorpeXPosted 12/5/2012 10:32:43 AM
Guild wars 2 is fun till about level 20, then it's repetition for no real reason.

When you get to the end of the game, the endgame content is terrible. One of the worst endgames I've ever seen in any mmo.

If you like building your character for nothing, this is the game for you.

Oh and yes you should keep in mind that most of the players have left so you will be doing a lot of the content alone, what's left of the community is horrible.

Read this fan forum before you decide.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/2-tyrian-assembly/
#20KatzachanPosted 12/5/2012 10:36:29 AM
Wait a few months, you should be able to get it for under $20 soon. It's not doing well so big discounts will be coming.