This game failed for one reason and one reason only....

#11JebSkatr2Posted 12/7/2012 11:25:59 AM
CruxisInhibitor posted...
homogenized

NCPwn posted...
homogenized

Hm...
#12R_JackalPosted 12/7/2012 11:35:54 AM
The only reason this game "failed" is because its goals were a mess. It's obvious they went back-and-forth between whether they should focus on PvP or PvE. I still wouldn't say it's failed, the only MMO I could say definitively failed from the start was Warhammer Online with its horrible, horrible launch issues.

This game just needs to find its identity. It'll come out eventually.
#13NCPwnPosted 12/7/2012 11:43:20 AM
JebSkatr2 posted...
CruxisInhibitor posted...
homogenized

NCPwn posted...
homogenized

Hm...

Just telling it like it is.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#14curious_deadPosted 12/7/2012 12:10:24 PM
The game did not fail, the sheer number of trolls it gets is proof that Blizz and EA spend a lot of money to discredit other games on forums.

OK, I remove my tin foil hat, but seriously, new user, trolling, blah blah blah, pathetic no life, probably a Cruxis or NCPwns alt, at least Xeeh topics are usually funny (I picture him as a bitter Asura with a high pitched voice).
#15havok718Posted 12/7/2012 2:57:20 PM(edited)
I still love how everyone here claims WoW is the father of MMO's and nothing will live up to its standard. Had it not been for Everquest, WoW would have never been made.

No one said WOW was the father of MMOs. However WOW introduced more people to the MMO genre than any other game, and it created, or at least made popular, many of the staples of modern MMOs. Why would anyone compare modern day MMOs to EQ? It was very different.

Please list the things that Blizzard copied from EQ. The similarities between EQ and WOW are generic elements common to the genre. For example, character progression through leveling and items is a staple of traditional RPGs, not unique to EQ. Oh I know, both games had elves that shoot fireballs! Clearly copied from EQ since they were the first to do that. Since you're the expert, go ahead and name a few specific elements that Blizzard copied from EQ. I'll wait.

Now look at every modern MMO. Questing. Instancing. Talent trees. UI layout. Specific changes to the MMO genre that gained popularity/recognition because of WOW. For some really unimaginative designers (cough TOR), even the class skills are copy-pasted from WOW.
#16boktai3Posted 12/7/2012 3:06:32 PM
KevoCSCS posted...
It's not World of Warcraft.

but that's the reason it didn't fail, it did something new, and sold plenty, thus earning a profit, and myself, i'm enjoying the game a ton.
#17SimynuPosted 12/7/2012 3:12:52 PM
The only people that can realistically believe that GW2 "failed" were those going in to the game having an idea in their head of what the game was going to be that wasn't the reality of the game. They specifically made the game casual friendly and not a demanding "carrot on a stick" type of game and never claimed that it would be anything different.

I knew what the game was going to be going in, I knew what ANet planned for the game, and I have been pleasantly surprised. GW2 is a game that I can pick up, have fun with when I want to, take my time, play any number of alts I want, not have to worry about finding groups for that next piece of gear, and just have fun with when my time allows. A new game came out? Great, I can play that game for a month or two and come back to GW2 a few months later and pick up right where I left off and not be behind in any meaningful way.

Is everything about the game perfect? Heck no and far from it, but it definitely is a great game, and it only failed in the eyes of those that thought it was going to be something it was never intended to be.
#18juzziebPosted 12/7/2012 7:16:29 PM
NCPwn posted...
Well, it took a lot of steps back from the original.

This exactly. However only retards play WoW so what the TC said is irrelevant. The game will do OK because most of the DAOC and GW1 crowd are still playing because there isn't any other modern options. When one comes around though GW2 will pretty much die.
#19gameguy006Posted 12/7/2012 7:48:33 PM
I like this game a lot, but after getting one hundred percent world completion I got really bored. Yes I did PvP, WvW, etc. It was a fun few months with this game, but it doesn't have the lasting appeal the first game had for me. Like I said I don't regret buying this game had a great time with it, but it held my hand a little too much. GW1 however, was rough, I felt like it kept kicking me in the dirt and I kept getting up for more. Keep in mind GW1 was one of my first MMO's so I wasn't the greatest anyway lol.
#20Ephemeral1Posted 12/8/2012 3:46:34 AM
"in the case of The Old Republic it was basically a superior clone of WOW"

I should have stopped reading here. Don't get me wrong, I adored ToR, but superior isn't the word I'd use to describe it.