Difference between Rare and Exotic armor?

#1AverageGaiPosted 1/3/2013 7:53:16 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between these two?

I keep hearing people talk about getting exotic armor, but I never really understood what that meant.

I tried checking out the wiki armor page, but can't seem to find anything on this.

Thanks.
---
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
#2ReikkenPosted 1/3/2013 7:56:54 PM(edited)
two different levels of armor, basically
exotic armor has better attributes and is more costly than rare armor

there are several different item qualities. from worst to best:
junk (gray) - only for trophies. no equippable items in this group
common (white)
fine (blue)
masterwork (green)
rare (yellow)
exotic (orange)
ascended (pink) - new, only partially in place, and the only one with different mechanics
#3AverageGai(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 7:55:46 PM
So I'm assuming once I hit 80, I'll be looking to acquire a set of exotics over rares, then?

I don't believe I've seen any exotics yet, but that might just be because I'm only in my 60s.
---
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
#4ReikkenPosted 1/3/2013 7:58:33 PM
edited post
and nah, you can get exotics as low as level 60, I believe. but they're really hard to come by at any point. the cheapest lv 80 ones are worth like 2 gold
#5AverageGai(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 8:06:57 PM
I see, thanks a lot!
---
#6BenjiPOTFPosted 1/3/2013 9:39:43 PM
You can actually get Exotics as low as lvl 30 but the difference there is so low its not worth it till you get to the max lvl 80.
I have gotten a few at the 30 lvl range by sheer luck but not much you are missing out there since youll out level the gear anyway.
---
PSN:BenjiPOTF
#7LiquiDZerOPosted 1/3/2013 10:10:40 PM
also worth noting is the tier above exotic is legendary. legendary items have the same stat distribution as exotics, however they offer graphical effects not found on other items (the Juggernaut gives your armor a metalic reflectiveness). they're there purely as bragging rights and to stand out, this is the horizontal progression versus vertical progression of stats.

exotics can be obtained through karma vendors, collecting dungeon components, crafting, world drops, and gambling via the mystic forge (place four rares for a chance at an exotic or 1 rare).

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/03/gw2-endgame-gearing-guide/

a very comprehensive guide on end game gearing.
---
"I can't begin to count the number of agents whose lives were saved by a cardboard box." -Snake
#8rewwPosted 1/4/2013 10:20:08 AM
Are all exotics on par with one another as far as base stats go at lvl 80. Or do people just transmutate one armor onto another for the looks. I'm only half way to 80 yet since I haven't been playing all that much but still curious. Seems like I saw a armor I liked that was an exotic, but not even for a lvl 80
---
Official Disgaea 1 Majin of the Makai Senki Disgaea 4 Board
#9DraconisRexPosted 1/4/2013 11:40:53 AM
AverageGai posted...
So I'm assuming once I hit 80, I'll be looking to acquire a set of exotics over rares, then?

I don't believe I've seen any exotics yet, but that might just be because I'm only in my 60s.

There are exotics at that level. But they're pretty rare and, frankly, pointless beyond they may have an interesting skin...
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#10DraconisRexPosted 1/4/2013 11:42:39 AM
reww posted...
Are all exotics on par with one another as far as base stats go at lvl 80. Or do people just transmutate one armor onto another for the looks. I'm only half way to 80 yet since I haven't been playing all that much but still curious. Seems like I saw a armor I liked that was an exotic, but not even for a lvl 80

I transmute. I, frankly, hate most of the level 80 armor. I'm really not into that cartoonish 'spikes everywhere' crap.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead