PvE Armor vs PvP Armor?

#1JedahprPosted 1/17/2013 4:51:47 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to get several opinions from more seasoned PvP vets out there. So usually Iíve only done strictly PvE / Dynamic Events / several dungeons, etc so needless to say my gear / spec is based on that aspect of the game.

Lately Iíve been trying out a bit of WvW just to mix things up and so far I usually hold my own on said gear / spec. Iíve been using my Mesmer for it (GS & S/P weapons). As mentioned previously my gear / spec is towards PvE (Power / Precision/Crit Damage) Ė So I guess Iím what you would call a ďGlass CannonĒ? Ė as in I die fast; but I also kill fast too.

So my question is; is it really REALLY worth it in me banking all my PvE gear and go get the PvP gear / gem / sigils instead? Will I notice this huge difference from one to the other? So far from personal experience I really feel like I donít need it. Iím perfectly OK with my ďGlass CannonĒ build. Sure chances are that I wonít outlast a heavily geared / spec pro out there on a 1 vs 1 situation; but so far Iíve held my own against the average players.

I donít feel too comfortable in replacing all my Power / Precision / Crit Damage for Vitality & Toughness; which is what the PvP gear has in them. Sure Iíll last a bit longer than average; but I wonít be able to kill anything either. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input in advance.
---
Sailin' away on a crest of a wave it's like magic
#2Jedahpr(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 8:37:08 PM
Bump!
---
#3Jedahpr(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 6:13:57 PM
Bump again!
---
#4IR0NMaN_DaNPosted 1/18/2013 8:13:49 PM(edited)
I think that a little bit of clarification on the types of PvP will help you a lot. In WvWvW, everybody is using their "PvE" armor. You cannot equip the gear that is called "PvP ____". You use the same items you have available to you in PvE. The "PvP ____" gear is for structured PvP, or sPvP. You cannot use PvE items in sPvP, and you cannot use any items from sPvP in PvE.

So, now that the distinction has been made, it seems like you're wondering more about your build than your gear. There are many stat combinations on PvE gear to take into consideration. You do have the right idea, though. The build you're using is very glass cannony, because your gear doesn't have any defensive stats on it. This is great for damaging other players but, as you know, not so great for surviving their attacks. Some players prefer this style, some prefer a very defensive build with only defensive stats, and others (like me) prefer a mix of the two.

If you can update the thread with some details about how you like to play (skills you enjoy the most, weapons you enjoy the most), someone may be able to offer some build advice for you to make the most of your time in WvWvW and PvE.
---
AsRock Z77 OC Formula - i7 2700k - GTX 660 SC - 8GB Patriot Viper 2133 - 240GB Intel 330 - 120GB Kingston HyperX - Kingwin 550W 80 Plus Platinum
#5Jedahpr(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 8:22:51 AM
IR0NMaN_DaN posted...
I think that a little bit of clarification on the types of PvP will help you a lot. In WvWvW, everybody is using their "PvE" armor. You cannot equip the gear that is called "PvP ____". You use the same items you have available to you in PvE. The "PvP ____" gear is for structured PvP, or sPvP. You cannot use PvE items in sPvP, and you cannot use any items from sPvP in PvE. .

Thanks Iron. I did not know of this. I guess this answers my question then. I thought you could use the "Invader" set the Karma / Badge vendor offers in your home base for WvW.
---
#6thecrossnkightPosted 1/19/2013 10:59:58 AM
You can, there is also a trait swapper, which is to say, I don't think there's anything really stopping you from having two sets of armor eventually and just swapping traits whenever you go back and forth.
---
What do you do when faced with two choices? Simply toss a coin. It works because in that brief time that the coin is in the air you know what you're hoping for.