What's a class with good survivability?

#21motoraptor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:17:39 PM
I'm kind of interested in a thief but how are they in general for pve? If it's meh, I'm just going to stick with my warrior.
---
http://i55.tinypic.com/2a9ntxe.jpg
#22HyperTailsManPosted 2/3/2013 10:53:12 PM
Crimson_Spider posted...
HyperTailsMan posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...
HyperTailsMan posted...
Crimson_Spider posted...
Any class can have good survivability. You just need to build them with survivability. Were I to make a ranking system, however...

Guardian
Elementalist
Warrior
Necromancer
Ranger
Engineer
Mesmer
Thief

In that order. Not including stealth.

Why exclude stealth?

Stealth is mostly good for avoiding fights in PVE instead of engaging in them. It isn't true survivability because of this.

With just 10 points in Shadow Arts, "stealth" lets you keep up Regeneration permanently, but I guess healing doesn't count for survivability?

Regen is not stealth.

Stealth causes Regen.
---
Just call me HTM
#23DraginvryPosted 2/3/2013 10:58:34 PM
mooninomics posted...

I don't know why guardians are praised so much for their survivability. They're not bad by any stretch and their buffs can be a big help, but overall they feel like squishy warriors to me.

They have health regeneration as part of their profession mechanic as well as blocking potential. They have high toughness. They can recover health really quickly when traited for it. They also have a lot of useful defensive skills. When using a hammer, they can keep the Protection boon up non-stop via the autoattack.
#24TaijouroukunPosted 2/3/2013 11:09:31 PM
motoraptor posted...
Well my warrior is 45 so he's not that new haha. But my ele and ranger are 12 and 10.

For my warrior I was wearing cultural T1 armor which is like 10-15 levels underneath my current level. Bought current stuff on the trading post and I'm surviving. It''s just that in personal missions it's so weird to be fighting 5 or 6 things at once. I'm so used to GW1 with a full party.

there's your problem. cultural armor is really for style. a full set of level 80 rare cost less than your T1 armor. keep your T1 armor for transmute in the future and get up to date with your armor. just that should help a lot.
#25mooninomicsPosted 2/3/2013 11:35:08 PM
Draginvry posted...
mooninomics posted...

I don't know why guardians are praised so much for their survivability. They're not bad by any stretch and their buffs can be a big help, but overall they feel like squishy warriors to me.

They have health regeneration as part of their profession mechanic as well as blocking potential. They have high toughness. They can recover health really quickly when traited for it. They also have a lot of useful defensive skills. When using a hammer, they can keep the Protection boon up non-stop via the autoattack.

Okay. Maybe I'll have to play around a bit more. Even when traited for survivability (so far, I'm roughly level 30 with mine), the passive health regeneration isn't a whole lot and the defensive capabilities don't seem to make much of a difference. More than two enemies at a time and it's a struggle. Not great, but maybe it's just me. Nothing seems to come close to my warrior's healing signet. Maybe troll unguent on my ranger. Maybe. But even then, it's not essentially permanent then.

I'll keep working at my guardian, but right now I don't see the big fuss. Like I said, they're not bad, but at the moment I think they're a little overhyped. Of course, that could totally change later on.
---
Are you suggesting that moon should get off his ass and write some stories? He's like the Stephen King of gamefaqs. - Sorbz
#26DraginvryPosted 2/4/2013 12:46:09 AM
mooninomics posted...

Even when traited for survivability (so far, I'm roughly level 30 with mine)

You do realize that most professions don't start getting their good traits until at least level 40. My mesmer was weaksauce at low levels, but at 80 she is a powerhouse.
#27mooninomicsPosted 2/4/2013 1:21:25 AM
Draginvry posted...
mooninomics posted...

Even when traited for survivability (so far, I'm roughly level 30 with mine)

You do realize that most professions don't start getting their good traits until at least level 40. My mesmer was weaksauce at low levels, but at 80 she is a powerhouse.

I did not. Again, my experience is limited.
---
Are you suggesting that moon should get off his ass and write some stories? He's like the Stephen King of gamefaqs. - Sorbz
#28DraginvryPosted 2/4/2013 1:41:53 AM
mooninomics posted...

I did not. Again, my experience is limited.

You won't get a good idea of how a character is going to play end-game until you are at least level 45 or 50 or so. Some characters develop even later. For example, two of my three big survivability traits are top tier, which is why my mesmer got a huge survivability boost at level 60, and then again at level 80.
#29DraconisRexPosted 2/4/2013 6:45:10 AM
mooninomics posted...
I don't know why guardians are praised so much for their survivability. They're not bad by any stretch and their buffs can be a big help, but overall they feel like squishy warriors to me. Though to be fair, everything feels squishy when compared to the rock-solid juggernaut that is the warrior.

With the right build, every shout-utility cures a condition plus you auto-condition remove ever 10 seconds. Aegis is blocking attacks dropping your incoming damage (and it's associated effects, like knockdown) and re-procs every 40 seconds. Plus you have your heal and your Virtue of Resolve which is (right build) in permanent regeneration. Then we have our damage reduction signet which is 10% (12% if we trait for the 20% signet bonus which we do because we use a healing signet) all of the time and if you're using the big hammer, the auto-attack bumps it up to 45% in 1 out of ever 2.25 seconds.

So... They're not so squishy when built right.

Or, to put it this way... I rarely die in WvWvW even when acting as a zerg-breaker on my guardian. Yesterday I ran point on the zerg and we hit a counter-zerg. I took down 8 before they got me. And I spent half the fight at 50% or fewer HPs.

As for warriors... You can do a lot of that, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pretending they can't do some good stuff. But it's still not as effective in the self-heal/regen/buff of the guardian. Plus, to get close, you really have to give up a lot in other areas.
---
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
#30SkimMilk1988Posted 2/4/2013 12:32:19 PM
My warrior is lvl 50 right now. The game is not even challenging anymore PvE wise. I roll 5 signets + the talent that gives +40 percision per signet, walk into one mob, take all of its attacks to the face, 3-5 hit it with my GS auto attack. I run in to 2-6 mobs, dodge a move if it will knock me over, hit the 2 button and kill them all within a few seconds otherwise. If I'm feeling really frisky I will gather all the mobs up, use my longbows F1 skill, hit the 3 button then swap my GS out and clean house. Either ways the game is literally not even challenging anymore (PvE wise). The only time I die is when I get swarmed by 4+ monsters that can knock me over (technically I could break them, but I always forget to pop my signets).