So... a Conjure Elementalist build looks kind of fun

#1alt_realityPosted 3/19/2013 7:52:20 AM
None of the elementalist weapons really appealed to me (dagger/dagger was the most appealing but the lack of ranged attacks was a turnoff) and now months later I see that there are conjured weapons available with different skillsets.

I also see that they come with their own power... does this mean that the power stat of the elementalist doesn't really matter when you have one equipped or do they stack? Of course you would still pump fire to 20 for Conjurer even if that is the case but beyond that, I would think focusing on Precision and Crit Damage would be ideal but I haven't actually messed around with it nor do I have any actual playtime with an Elementalist so I'm not very versed on what their traits and skills look like.

Any advice for skills and traits that would mesh well? I'm thinking for sure Fiery Greatsword and Ice Bow will be on my loadout and possibly Flame Axe and Magnetic Shield too (and for the lulz I'll try out the Lightning Hammer too but being a squishy mage, a full on melee weapon probably isn't ideal unless maybe I threw up defensive boons while using it).
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#2alt_reality(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 8:25:23 AM
After a little more research, I'm thinking a Frost Bow building would be great starting at level 20 since being attuned to water let's you do 20% more damage to foes with vulnerability and the bow inflicts vulnerability. That and you get regen while in water attunement making it a good way to stay alive. I will have to mess around with this a bit. Also, it seems there is a little love for the hammer too so I will give it a go.
---
#3Aka76877035Posted 3/19/2013 9:12:01 AM
Fire Great Sword elite makes everything soloable as an ele and if not solo than 99% of the time able to accomplish with two people
---
Put your semen in people and make little babies!
-Hutch
#4Aka76877035Posted 3/19/2013 9:13:15 AM
The cripple on the the number 3 ability is so amazing, just kite forever with 1 and make them run into number 2, use 3/4 to start encounter, 5 for multiple/large mobs but I'm pretty sure one hits multiple targets anyways
---
Put your semen in people and make little babies!
-Hutch
#5anime_kamisamaPosted 3/19/2013 2:00:55 PM
A conjure build wouldn't be optimal for much, but let me just say that it is damn fun. Moreso if you can share the weapons with friends! I very much enjoyed using the Ice Bow (still do in PvE) and Fiery Great Sword while travelling around with my buddy.

I really recommend the Lighting Hammer though, I didn't get to enjoy it as much and am a bit saddened by that.
---
"Mezawari nandayo! Boku no menomae kara... kie noshimae! Majin Rengokusatsu!"
#6alt_reality(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 2:07:08 PM
I've found GW2 to be a very antisocial game and I don't have any friends that play it nor have I made any while playing since everyone is generally off doing their own thing. :( Sure, I joined a few guilds but it's mostly people who are 80s playing obsessively in WvW or PvP so they wouldn't want to roll around in PvE with a level 7.

I have only made it to level 7 on my Elementalist so I only have Flame Axe to play with but it's pretty OP as far as I can tell right now. I will try out as many things as I can but I'm fairly confident Fiery Greatsword is going to be boss. But... we'll see.
---
#7anime_kamisamaPosted 3/19/2013 2:50:07 PM
Aw is that so? You could always try asking people if they wanna party up and level together if you run into anyone. I've done so and it works quite well, I also used to spend lots of time in lower level areas with both high and low level characters so I get to meet all the new people :D
---
"Mezawari nandayo! Boku no menomae kara... kie noshimae! Majin Rengokusatsu!"
#8CruxisInhibitorPosted 3/19/2013 3:25:25 PM
Problem with conjures is that they aren't objectively better than your own weapon set, but they replace the skills and give you negligilbe stat buffs. A ritualist in GW1 could use conjured weapons as a party support mechanic, but they didn't take away any of your skills, just enhanced your survivability or power significantly. In this game, they've taken out the teamplay depth and a lot of synergy to avoid balancing issues. This, i feel is a prime example of the issues with the skill system in this game. A conjure build is a cool idea, but what it adds to a party is marginal and not tangibly better than any other set. This game's combat suffers terribly from lack of role and purpose definition.
---
http://mattypokes.webs.com : Black FC: 2322 5597 1384
i5 2500k ASRock E3/G3 Radeon HD7850 650W 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
#9GwindorPosted 3/19/2013 3:34:51 PM
conjure build is simultaneously awful and one of the most fun things you can do. It's like having 8 weapon sets >.>

Definitely try it out.
---
"What if you just eat vegetarians?"-neonreaper
"^ You are what you eat. ^_~"-Koiji
#10alt_reality(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 5:30:47 PM
I think it was just a silly idea to think that the combat could be interesting or different but... it's an MMO so it's mostly just spam auto-attack and wander around aimlessly to level up. I might be more into it tomorrow maybe but for now I'm kind of over it again.
---