Best mod(s)?

#1spaldPosted 6/11/2009 12:53:57 PM
I've been playing this game for awhile, and looking for something new. I'd rather the mods be more of a realistic addon (maybe useful units or something) rather than a silly one like fighting off aliens or something. Is there a universally viewed great mod?
#2erok0809Posted 6/12/2009 3:34:27 AM
I'd suggest Rhye's and Fall of Civilization.
---
What am I doing here? WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!? There must have been a whole lot of lag in the past...It took Jesus 3 DAYS to respawn!
#3BuffaloBills12Posted 6/13/2009 4:37:52 PM
100% rhyes and fall of civiliation, that gets my vote for best mod for any game ever made.
#4wanderzPosted 6/22/2009 4:01:00 AM
Rise of Mankind is a really good one in my opinion..

here's a partial list of what it adds.
* 242 Techs in tech tree
* 300+ Units
* 189 Buildings
* 88 Wonders
* 36 National wonders
* 54 Civic options
* 26 Unit categories, modern units are superior to ancient units
* 21 New resources
* 26 Pre made maps included
* 15 New Improvements for terrain/resources
* 6 New route types (new road types, from cart path to highway to jumplane)
* 5 New Civilizations (55 with extra civ addon pack)
* 5 New Projects
* 4 New Citizen types
* 4 New Religions
* 2 New Civic categories
* 2 New Map sizes: Giant (54% bigger than Huge), Gigantic (50% bigger than Giant ie. 134% bigger than Huge)
* 2 New Gamespeed: Blitz 215 turns, Snail 3000 turns
* 1 New terrain type: Marsh
* AI Autoplay
and more..

go here to check it out and download..
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9301

there is even modules that other people are making to add to rise of mankind mod.. like new movies, even more units..

personally i found that still being limited to 4 wonders per city was a bit limiting when there is so many new ones so i edited the xml files after.. maybe i should post on the forums there and suggest he changes that for future releases.
---
Am i the only one that finds it odd that there were cars over 20 years ago that got more then 50 mpg, and now car companies brag about 30 mpg?
#5abkgamerPosted 6/27/2009 10:39:34 AM

Rhyes. All time favorite mod. Even though I have only played the origional (Have yet to get BtS, downloading it now), it was amazing. Rhyes rules.

#6orochi210Posted 6/27/2009 12:52:13 PM
Wanderz can you post the .xml file?
#7abkgamerPosted 6/29/2009 9:53:44 AM

orochi210 posted...

www.civfanatics.com It's there, along with hundreds of other good mods.

#8wanderzPosted 6/30/2009 6:19:14 AM
if you mean the xml file that i edited to allow more wonders per city, it's this one..
GlobalDefines.xml found in...
C:\Games\civ 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML
(if you installed civ4 into a folder called games, default location is program files i'm sure)

about a third of the way down there is a section like this..
<Define>
<DefineName>MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>8</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

there's another line for national wonders as well.. change the 8 to a bigger number, like 10 or 12. -1 means no limit, which would be too much.
there is a lot of other things you can change in the same xml files... i suggest making backup copies just in case tho.

another nice trick..
if you, like me, are sick of your workers building forts everywhere instead of what's really needed to catch a resource (like mines that actually upgrade) then you can change what technology unlocks forts, or whatever else it is you don't want to use...
look in
C:\Games\civ 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML\Units
for the
"CIV4BuildInfos.xml" file...

look for a section like this (use search to find fort).. and change the tech under prereqtech to something later.. i already did in this example of course.
<Type>BUILD_FORT</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILD_FORT</Description>
<Help/>
<PrereqTech>TECH_CRYOGENICS</PrereqTech>

there should just be a way to make workers not build them unless specifically told to, but i haven't found how yet.

i've done a lot of messing around with the different xml files.. only problem is if they update the ROM module, if i update i need to redo my changes each time :( so for now i'm sticking with version 2.62 even tho 2.7 is out.

i should probably figure out my login, or re register for civfanatics and upload some of my edited xml files as well..
some of them are a bit silly tho, and might make the game unbalanced.. :)
(hint: if i upload my civilizations files.. play Iroquois, with sitting bull as leader.. historical accuracy is irrelevant)
---
Am i the only one that finds it odd that there were cars over 20 years ago that got more then 50 mpg, and now car companies brag about 30 mpg?
#9wanderzPosted 6/30/2009 6:41:01 AM
downloading rom 2.7 (will install separately) once i redo the xml files for that i'll upload them to civfanatics and post links here.
---
#10orochi210Posted 7/1/2009 3:09:27 AM

Ah ok thanks.