Can I use US Microsoft Points Cards in Canada if I register a US live account?

#1drunkensheepPosted 1/28/2008 4:14:52 PM
Can I use a US microsoft points Card that I have to download DLC if I register for a US Live account from Canada? Will the DLC be available from the harddrive for use in the game when logged in on my Canadian profile, or no?

Thanks!
#2barackas_greenPosted 1/28/2008 4:15:14 PM
Sure, points are internationally compatible
---
Lord cletusvader: "I'm an Elite in Rainbow Six: Vegas, so I obviously know how guns work.
GT: Jazz Trance
#3justkevPosted 1/28/2008 4:18:52 PM
No they are not. They have different exchange rates. If you have it regestered as a Canadian account, you will not be able to use a US card. But, I'm not sure about your situation.
#4barackas_greenPosted 1/28/2008 4:20:04 PM
Well, I bought a European card off Ebay and it worked just fine for my US account, but hey, you're the expert, right?
---
Lord cletusvader: "I'm an Elite in Rainbow Six: Vegas, so I obviously know how guns work.
GT: Jazz Trance
#5justkevPosted 1/28/2008 4:29:43 PM

barackas_green posted...
Well, I bought a European card off Ebay and it worked just fine for my US account, but hey, you're the expert, right?

I'm not an expert, but I can read. Just because your card work does not mean they all will. Don't spout off wrong information and treat it as fact next time.

"Microsoft Points purchased from a retail store can only be applied to accounts registered to the same country where the retail store is located. The only exception is the 2100 point card (available in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa), which is universal throughout those regions."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/features/microsoftpoints.htm

#6justkevPosted 1/28/2008 4:31:07 PM
Plus, I believe you are just a liar about your European card working on a US account anyway.
#7bruiserkPosted 1/28/2008 4:31:20 PM
I'm actually in the exact same situation as you right now, but I moved from Canada to the states.
No the Canadian points card will not work on your American account.
What I did was just created an American Silver Xbox Live account, and then put the points onto that gamertag. You might have to use a different email than the one you used on your original account. Make sure you put you account is from Canada or they will not work. Any DLC you download from that account will transfer over to your other accounts as you buy them...
Hope this Helps!
#8CanadaDude2000Posted 1/28/2008 4:31:53 PM
No they are not. They have different exchange rates. If you have it regestered as a Canadian account, you will not be able to use a US card. But, I'm not sure about your situation.

That doesn't make any sense. 1000 Microsoft points is 1000 Microsoft points everywhere in the world. The difference in exchange rates works itself out in the physical purchase of the points card.
Besides, it shouldn't matter anyways between Canadian and US dollars. According to the current exchange rate, they're at parity.
---
"The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!" Sideshow Bob
#9bruiserkPosted 1/28/2008 4:32:51 PM
oh, sorry, i didn't see that you were using a US points card...
It should work fine then, but if it doesn't, the other method will.
#10CanadaDude2000Posted 1/28/2008 4:33:04 PM
Or at least thats how it should work. If it doesn't, then something stupid is going on.
---
"The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!" Sideshow Bob