Is it still a good game if you never played the original?

#1jjr10Posted 1/22/2008 3:00:16 AM

Hey,

this comes out this week in Australia, and i was wondering whether it was worth it. It seems quite good, theres something about this game that looks nice, but i can't put my finger on it.

Anyway, i was wondering if i would still like the game regardless of playing the original game.

Thanks.

#2MetaJungliraPosted 1/22/2008 3:16:38 AM
Personally I've played the original and there is a LOT of nostalgia factor in why I'm enjoying it so much. However I've heard mixed reviews from people who haven't played the original. Rent it first, it doesn't take long to complete anyway, if you like it buy it and I strongly reccommend getting hold of a Saturn and the original if you like it since the original is still better in my opinion. Mainly because NiGHTS doesn't talk.

---
For 100% legit pokémon trading: http://metatrading.freeforums.org
Pkmn FCs: Diamond: 4639 6401 8756 Pearl: 3050 6021 9158
#3effeserPosted 1/22/2008 3:28:06 AM
While it's more tailored towards a general audience with all the cutscenes and varied mission (opposed to the more score focused gameplay of the original) it's still one of the most unique games out there. You won't find anything similar.

There are some points I'd like to list though. Those can be interpreted as a huge plus as well as a huge minus. Maybe those can help you to decide:
- The protagonists are kids
- The game favors replaying missions, in order to increase score and look for secrets
- There are unskippable cutscenes before each mission, they become skippable once you beat the corresponding mission
- The game controls better with a classic controller or a Gamecube controller

P.S.
I like the game, a lot.
#4leezeebubPosted 1/22/2008 7:03:10 AM

i think this game is pants. i really like the original, and the parts of this game that are the same as the original are still good (but not amazing). but the crap story, unskippable cutscenes, irritating charactors, pointless walking missions, stupid hub area and all the other rubbish they have added has completely destroyed the entertainment i get from the good parts of the game. also the multiplayer sucks because it only has 3 levels for either mode. and its too short, if it wasnt for the cutscenes you could probably complete it in less than 2 hours, maybe even 1 hour.

my advice is

1. if you really want to play this then rent it first

2. if you really want to play any nights game then get the original

3. if your not really bothered what you play then get geometry wars. its great fast paced action where you fly around scoring points

#5jjr10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2008 1:07:54 AM

effeser posted...

There are some points I'd like to list though. Those can be interpreted as a huge plus as well as a huge minus. Maybe those can help you to decide:
- The protagonists are kids (Fine, im a teen, don't really mind)
- The game favors replaying missions, in order to increase score and look for secrets (i can deal with it)
- There are unskippable cutscenes before each mission, they become skippable once you beat the corresponding mission (I don't mind too much)
- The game controls better with a ****c controller or a Gamecube controller (have a ****c, so no problem)

P.S.
I like the game, a lot.

Uh, well, as you can see by what i wrote in the brackets, they aren't problems. Uh, i can't really get a saturn really, at least, not now.

I might rent it first i guess, but it still looks cool.

#6Mejo2bePosted 1/24/2008 2:02:23 AM
I have never played a NiGHTS game before and i picked this one up and i love it, its real fun.
---
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Mejo4eva
#7ZupertailsPosted 1/24/2008 11:10:29 AM
I have never played a NiGHTS game before and i picked this one up and i love it, its real fun.

Then you absolutely have to get the original on Saturn.

I myself am a die-hard NiGHTS fan and have been awaiting this sequel for ages.Got the game a few days before official release due to stalking shop owners etc...you catch my drift.
Anyway, after anxiously unwrapping and booting the CD, I played it for about 2 hours, even though I wanted to give up after the first hour already.
In my opninion Nights 2 is the same thing Duke Nukem Forever will be : a fan-overhyped game which couldn't live up to what people wanted it to be.
My best guess what happened in the production process is that finally our fine japanese game producer couldn't handle the fan requests anymore and had to fold under the pressure of the public voice., thus making a quick remake/sequel.

I never thought I'd say this as a big Sega and Sonic Team fan, but this time they really screwed it up. This game gets a 5/10 only for the nostalgic reasons.
"Journey of Dreams" should've been "Shattering of Dreams" instead.

A disappointed Zupertails
---
"One Ring To Rule The Mall..."
double u double u double u dot zupertails dot be