Special moves question

#1JazzBlaster19Posted 12/13/2008 11:33:39 PM
I've always wondered this but never bothered to ask. Now, that I am playing a bit more seriously I'm even more curious. I was just wondering if the different special moves such as a jab tiger and fierce tiger have any difference in damage or are they just different in speed and height?

Also, any tips on using Sagat would be appreciated. Thanks
#2starplayer2222Posted 12/13/2008 11:38:24 PM
why not just go into training mode and test it out to see if they do different amounts of damage?

Not trying to be rude or anything...
#3JazzBlaster19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2008 11:45:19 PM
I have tried that. the problem is I think I see some moves do more or less damage but the difference is so small that I think I'm just seeing it wrong.

Why not just answer the question if you were going to post anyway?

#4starplayer2222Posted 12/13/2008 11:48:10 PM
hey now i was just giving you advice how to reach your answer more quickly! i dont play sagat so idk.
#5JazzBlaster19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2008 11:51:14 PM
Yeah but I was asking about all special moves that have different versions for jab, fierce, short, etc.
#6J2DKPosted 12/14/2008 12:02:48 AM
It really, really depends. Akuma's multiple hit fire ball is 1, 2, or 3 hits depending on which one you use. Ken's fierce shoryuken is 3 hits and does a lot of damage if all 3 hits connect. It also can juggle someone out of the air. Ken's jab and strong shoryukens are one hit, knock down, and do about the same damage (if not exactly the same). The thing is that the strong version of Ken's shoryuken is completely invulnerable until he starts to descend.

A notable change for E Honda is that his jab torpedo nullifies projectiles. Just the jab.

There are a lot of differences, but it depends on each attack.
---
I feel my blood rushing through my body. Yes, this is it: the feeling. It's coming back to me. The sensation of killing.
#7subconsPosted 12/14/2008 8:06:50 AM
As a general rule of thumb, yes, weaker attacks do less damage but leave you less open to being punished if you wiff a move. The dragon punch is a perfect example. If you wiff a weak DP, you take less chance than if you wiff a fierce DP, which leave you WIDE open to be grabbed or whatever your opponent decides to do.

But like J2DK posted, some moves have different properties or priority depending on what button you press. I'd suggest picking a character you really like then do some research on their entire move set so you can understand them better. Just do a search or ask here and I'm sure someone will be willing to give you some pointers.
#8DevinAmir1Posted 12/14/2008 8:09:59 AM
I have tried that. the problem is I think I see some moves do more or less damage but the difference is so small that I think I'm just seeing it wrong.

Why not just answer the question if you were going to post anyway?

Exactly how I would have responded.
#9JazzBlaster19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2008 9:19:53 PM
Thanks for those replies guys. I didn't know some moves were that different. Now I want to do some research.