Any other games similar to this?

#1Servant of ValmarPosted 1/20/2009 5:33:58 PM
When I read this game was a turn based strategy game I bought it right away. Its not exactly what I wanted but better than anything I've found so far. Just curious if anyones knows of any games similar to this but with...

permenant characters instead of stacks of units I dont care about when they die.

Units that level up and gain new abilities.

Units that I can equip weapons and armor on.

A main character that is actually playable in battles as a unit.

Thanks for any help. Not flaming this game its close to what I wanted just not quite the right fit for me. I've never actually found a PC game that fits my idea of grid based strategy. Think Disgaea style play without the horrible characters and story if you know that game.
---
You used her vasaline to fap and you gave it back to her to use on her lips? -tehshocKed
From a topic about a guy who humped his grandmas jar of vasaline.
#2doubleslickPosted 1/20/2009 7:27:34 PM
No offense taken at all. There are so few fantasy turn based strategy games that it is always good to hear about other ones. I'm going to assume you've heard of the Heroes of Might and Magic games.

You might like Disciples 2. The world map is very similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic series where each turn you gather resources, construct buildings, and gather resources. The combat is much different though. You can choose a specific hero that does take part in the battles (and can be knocked out). You are limited to at most 5 additional troops besides your hero. Your hero and troops gain experience and level up. You can equip your heroes with special artifacts and whatnot. The battle grid is a bit basic though, similar to a jrpg. You don't manuever your troops around the battlefield, but do arrange troops in either the front or back row. Much of the strategy comes in deciding how you are going to level up your troops. Building construction determines what troops you can use and are mutually exclusive. For instance, the humans have a support character that can heal one unit of some damage. You can then upgrade the character to significantly heal a single unit and remove any negative status effects, or instead upgrade the healer to heal all characters a moderate amount.

Here's some gameplay footage to give you an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0q9E399oU
---
Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/2xslickvs for my assorted reviews and other junk.
#3Servant of Valmar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2009 8:37:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the response I'll look into that. Also I've heard of Heroes but never actually played it. Honestly this is the first strategy game I've played on PC all the others were on consoles.
---
You used her vasaline to fap and you gave it back to her to use on her lips? -tehshocKed
From a topic about a guy who humped his grandmas jar of vasaline.
#4eclarkdogPosted 1/21/2009 12:46:34 AM

I had assume that you played HOMM too. I've played the HOMM V and it's very similar to King's Bounty, but I've read that some prefer the older versions. HOMM has a very nice presentation and the hero is playable in the battles, although still functions primarily in the same vein as your KB character in that the main benefit comes in providing buffs and magic.

This small genre that includes KB, HOMM and the Disciples games are all played with stacked units. It's just the way it is. However, if you are not exclusive to the fantasy genre I might recommend one of my favorite TBS games that came out in 2004. The graphic engine is excellent, and different, so it holds up fine today. The game is called Silent Storm and I recommend getting you a copy of the Gold version with the expansion pack Sentinels. The expansion actually improves on the original.

Silent Storm is a squad-based TBS set in WWII with role-playing elements. You have a main customizable character and up to a 6 member squad with fighters, scouts, engineers, grenadeers, medics and snipers. The cool thing is that your squad members improve in just the same way as your main character, except with different branches based on their character type. Your main character can be anyone of these 6 character types. I highly recommend the scout. Anyway, I highly recommend this game to any fan of the TBS genre. It's inspired by classic games like X-COM and Jagged Alliance

#5ThingsFallApartPosted 1/23/2009 7:34:58 PM
Fantasy Wars, awesome game.
---
I get no sleep.
#6rsunset327Posted 1/23/2009 9:33:03 PM
Get an emulator and play a game called Warsong for the Genesis. It meets all your needs but is fairly blah on graphics compared to this game.

Silent Storm is worth playing if you like turn based games at all. Of course, the best of all time: X-Com. The first one.
#7LordGorbagPosted 1/24/2009 1:19:34 AM
The 'Age of Wonders' series are my favorite TBS games...But I like this one a lot too. I hope they make a bunch sequels!
#8TintoPosted 1/24/2009 8:42:49 AM
You might be interested in trying "Battle for Wesnoth". It's a well-developed Turn-Based Strategy game that is similar to other games mentioned as well. Best of all, it's free.

http://www.wesnoth.org/
#9MammoManPosted 1/25/2009 8:20:35 AM
eclarkdog posted...

I had assume that you played HOMM too. I've played the HOMM V and it's very similar to King's Bounty, but I've read that some prefer the older versions. HOMM has a very nice presentation and the hero is playable in the battles, although still functions primarily in the same vein as your KB character in that the main benefit comes in providing buffs and magic.

This small genre that includes KB, HOMM and the Disciples games are all played with stacked units. It's just the way it is. However, if you are not exclusive to the fantasy genre I might recommend one of my favorite TBS games that came out in 2004. The graphic engine is excellent, and different, so it holds up fine today. The game is called Silent Storm and I recommend getting you a copy of the Gold version with the expansion pack Sentinels. The expansion actually improves on the original.

Silent Storm is a squad-based TBS set in WWII with role-playing elements. You have a main customizable character and up to a 6 member squad with fighters, scouts, engineers, grenadeers, medics and snipers. The cool thing is that your squad members improve in just the same way as your main character, except with different branches based on their character type. Your main character can be anyone of these 6 character types. I highly recommend the scout. Anyway, I highly recommend this game to any fan of the TBS genre. It's inspired by classic games like X-COM and Jagged Alliance

Yeah, Silent Storm was a great game. Too bad the screwed up the sequel.

#10piro2kPosted 1/31/2009 2:02:19 PM
" Of course, the best of all time: X-Com. The first one. "

HELL YES! Best game even today. The enemy had incredible AI and hid very well and snuck up on you. What a game!