Avoiding Hackers and how to report them FAQ *Updated*

#1FeelMyBladePosted 6/10/2011 2:50:50 PMmessage detail(edited)
Many of us are concerned with the large increase of hackers in COD4's community. As of right now, there isn't much a player can do against Hackers. Here are some ways you (as a gamer) can help out the community and avoid playing with hackers altogether.

Important: Do NOT list Gamertags. As much as we want to expose hackers, it is unfortunately against GameFAQs ToU to blacklist.

What can a hacker do to me?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the most part, a normal player is safe. Aside from infections and deranking lobbies, most hackers can't do much against players other than pitting them against someone without skill. Any normal lobby is safe. Modded lobbies are usually safe, but it would be wise to never play in them.

What is a Deranking lobby?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The worst case is a De-ranking modified lobby. When a player enters this lobby and scores points, the points will appear negative (in red). This will take away the person's rank and prevents them from joining another game. If you accidentally do manage to get into a deranking lobby, the best solution is to dashboard (Big X, Y, Up, A) although this method is unconfirmed.

*Update- Dashboarding or turning off the Xbox 360 does work if you happen to get deranked.

Credit - EagleEyeValor

I have been Deranked, what can I do?
Message fourzerotwo asking for help
or contact Robert Bowling through various methods at: http://fourzerotwo.com/

Another option is to join a 10th Prestige Lobby, however this is considered boosting if you are not previously at 10th prestige.

Credit - ShieldYourEyes, EagleEyeValor

What is infection?
Infected basically means you're carrying the hack with you. If you join a game and get host, all the hacks activate and become in play.

But quitting to the main menu (single player) or dashboarding, the infection clears.

Credit - Skeletal King, EagleEyeValor

I see Website Message being spammed on the HUD, are they harmful?
In most cases they are not. Hackers can join into any game and spam messages all over the screen advertising their hack. Keep an eye out for Deranking lobbies and Infection host. And Never, visit those sites.

Is there any way to prevent these message from popping up?
Unfortunately there isn't. It is unclear if another patch will come. The best thing you have at the moment is report them. (see reporting hackers)

---
Moral #5: Early to rise, early to bed, makes a man healthy, but socially dead.
#2FeelMyBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2011 2:47:31 PMmessage detail
How can I avoid being affected by Hackers?
1. Always spectate the game before joining. Check for any modified parameters. If anything seems uncertain to you, dashboard or leave immediately. Some of the most common modded lobbies include:
Glitching run speed,
Extremely high jumps (flying),
infinite ammo and tubes, etc

2. Never Accept invites to modded lobbies or visit the advertised Youtube sites.
3. Never give out any Personal Information.

*NOTE- Playing with a hacker in your party and acquiring experience points is against Xbox Live's TOS and can result in a suspension (even if you didn't hack)

How can I Report Hackers?
1. Go to their GamerTag
2. Go to File Complaint
3. Select Tampering
4. Select System Tampering
5. Select File Complaint

How can I prevent my chances to see them in a match
1. Go to Their Gamertag
2. Under Submit Player Review
3. Select Avoid
4. Select player skills > Lacking skills

How can I identify Hackers?
You must make sure, before reporting, that the person is actually hacking. Most of the time it is obvious. Other times it is not as obvious. Never mistaken a good player for hacking. Remember, a Hacker is never good at the game.

Some of the most common giveaways are:
1. Spamming Messages- which is an impossible feature in the game without tampering
2. Wall-hack: Aiming perfectly behind a Wall. (note this is different from random spraying)
3. Players falling out the sky during spawn, or staying 100ft above ground (flying)
4. Going into areas inaccessible, such as below the floors or outside the arena. (Excluding to Overgrown Rock Glitch or on the roof of Showdown, on top of the buildings of Ambush)
5. Having their emblem missing or characters of their in-game Gamertag modified.

Other tips:
You can start a party with friends. If one of you manages to pick up host, then you wont find modded lobbies in your session. Keep in mind this won't prevent wallhackers or other hackers from joining your session.

That is all for now. I'll post more if needed. Feel free to contribute anyone.
---
#3PepsiWithCokePosted 6/10/2011 4:31:02 PMmessage detail
Your sticky request has been accepted.
#4Sputnik1337Posted 6/10/2011 7:26:58 PMmessage detail

2. Wall-hack: Aiming perfectly behind a Wall. (note this is different from random spraying)

make sure you watch a decent amount of killcams before reporting someone based on this alone. There are many reasons someone may have known you were there.
#5Terrence57Posted 6/10/2011 7:46:28 PMmessage detail
Sputnik1337 posted...
make sure you watch a decent amount of killcams before reporting someone based on this alone. There are many reasons someone may have known you were there.

Yeah you know make sure to watch the killcams. It's pretty annoying when people call you a wallhacker when you had a UAV up.
---
New Gamertag: zTerrence ll Old Gamertag: TerrenceGamer
Go here for cool stuffz. http://bit.ly/lhMucH
#6FeelMyBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2011 8:23:10 PMmessage detail(edited)
Sputnik1337 posted...

I agree.
Places that are common to post in (buildings in District) or in containers in shipment, spray mostly likely does the job. But when you got a guy sitting around the whole game behind a wall, aiming perfectly at players halfway across the map, then it becomes obvious.

Even with a UAV (or gaming headset), it is very unlikely that someone can aim perfectly behind a wall. I agree that you need to watch the killcam before judging it, but you can pretty much tell something when it becomes too obvious.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1PdBVQdEjM

It is an impossible feat for someone (the opponent) to aim like that, as oppose to finding a hit-detection then aiming. Most of the time, you will find wall hackers spending most of their time behind walls purposely to take this advantage. So when you see someone deliberately camping behind a wall the whole game, that is another reason.

Also to note. Wallhackers tend to be very close to the wall when firing, almost to the point where you can see their guns on the opposite side. A normal player would never stand so close.

It is also worth mentioning that XBL dosen't ban innocent players. So unless the person was actually using a wall-hack, innocent players won't get banned. Reporting a player just flags the gamertag.
---
#7XShadowX2000Posted 6/11/2011 6:39:24 PMmessage detail
My name is EagleEye Valor and I approve this topic
---
GT: EagleEye Valor
http://www.youtube.com/user/aeaglechrislb09 - HD Gameplay/Commentary
#8FeelMyBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2011 8:23:28 PMmessage detail(edited)
New update to identifying Hackers:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it is possible to reach the top roof of Showdown without hacking, most Hackers are taking advantage of this by altering their spawn points on top. If you see players spawning on top of the roof, then they are hackers.

The rooftops of Strike and Backlot is another common spawn point for hackers. Given the fact that they have wallhack, this gives them a huge advantage. Best advice is to stay out of site (or in areas where they can't see you) and pick them off with a long-range rifle. (Such as the M4, M16).

Also you can get up to 3 additional, consecutive kills with an airstrike by calling it directly on top of these buildings. This is happens because the hacker respawns at that same position on the roof.
---
#9Sputnik1337Posted 6/12/2011 12:31:47 PMmessage detail

While it is possible to reach the top roof of Showdown without hacking, most Hackers are taking advantage of this by altering their spawn points on top. If you see players spawning on top of the roof, then they are hackers.

this isn't entirely correct. The infections don't set their spawn point up there, they choose to teleport there, making the fact that they do it so many times in a row unsuccessfully even more hilarious. Pressing back, a dpad direction, or another input causes them to warp to predesignated coordinates, which is why it doesn't work as intended on every map, afaik.
#10PepsiWithCokePosted 6/12/2011 4:20:17 PMmessage detail
And we have a sticky!
More topics from this board...
I don't get it.BryanYoung1911812/23 5:10AM