Is there a way to max the fps?

#11deadly55Posted 4/2/2008 7:43:58 PM
Some, some people see higher or lower, i think my eyes cap out at about 25fps :(
---
GT: EaGle1337. I got modded for doing April fools.
"HD is only decent for games where you have to look at the screen."-Sand in your mouth
#12DarkLink172Posted 4/2/2008 7:57:41 PM
i believe you need it to be at exactly 125 FPS to get extra height on your jump,+100 won't do it.
---
Internets,srs biz.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vzgEi_u9-88
#13PhantomdaggerPosted 4/2/2008 8:47:38 PM
I'm not sure how to explain it in detail so I'll just give the gist of it. If you get your Frame rate constantly over 100 you can make jumps over walls you usually can't.

Example being the wall seperating the two sides on Crash.( The wall to the left of the lower entrance to A Bomb Site).

Anyway I finally figured out who to raise the max fps. For those interested like me here is the command.

/com_mapfps 150

Are you high or just incredibly stupid? Framerate doesn't make you faster or stronger it just makes you appear faster... if your eyes can actually perceive 100 FPS.
---
Dilettante - Chicks love electric gadgets. ~ Rockstar ~~~GTA 4 in 27 days!!!!~~~
#14cyber_monkey91Posted 4/2/2008 8:54:21 PM
You guys need to learn about computers.

First of all...

60FPS is only the maximum you can reach IF YOU HAVE VSYNC ENABLED.

and 60 refresh rate should only be on LCDs

If you have VSYNC disabled then you will reach above and beyond your refresh rate.

understand?
---
Hrrmm...
#15PhantomdaggerPosted 4/2/2008 8:58:05 PM
You guys need to learn about computers.

First of all...

60FPS is only the maximum you can reach IF YOU HAVE VSYNC ENABLED.

and 60 refresh rate should only be on LCDs

If you have VSYNC disabled then you will reach above and beyond your refresh rate.

understand?

This was directed towards...?

*cracks knuckes menacingly*
---
Dilettante - Chicks love electric gadgets. ~ Rockstar ~~~GTA 4 in 27 days!!!!~~~
#16LithpiperpilotPosted 4/2/2008 10:05:55 PM
TC, you have angered the pc trolls. Watch out
#17JahmiesPosted 4/2/2008 11:56:25 PM
It is true your eyes can't discern over 30fps
It is true your average monitor can't display more than 60 or 75hz (fps)
But I think what the TC is trying to get at is that in some games the game engine calulates some abilites on frame rate (example in the Tekken fighting games, some moves are 'just' frame moves where you have 1 frame to hit a button. in NTSC lands itsharder to hit this than in PAL lands [60fps vs 50fps]).
I think modern PC games probably don't calculate off fps anymore though.
One of my friends indicated that in COD1 that if you are getting over 500fps you don't make footsteps anymore because the game can't track it.
I'm not sure where the TC heard that extra jump hieght is possible in COD4 but I think it has been documented in other games... but probably not as recent games.
#18tomrandomnumberPosted 4/3/2008 1:17:08 AM
lol at all the noobs who don't know about fps jumps etc.

firstly, having a constant 125 will improve your game...smooth, even in big firefights etc.

secondly, having a hig fps on cod1 (like 250+) will give you the ability to do jumps that others (with lower fps) will not be able to do.

thirdly...having a high fps on cod4 (125+) WILL make some of your footsteps 'skip'. e.g. my brother has an fps of 250 if looking at the ground, and sometimes he can move about 5 footsteps without making any sound. sprints are also extremely hard to hear.

so people who say 'lulz why do you want an fps more than 60 roflcopterzzz??'....you donlt know what you're talking about :)
---
"I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"-Karl Pilkington
#19ehrenfPosted 4/3/2008 3:47:25 AM
in other words, you are saying the game glitches at a high enough fps.

possible, i guess. kinda lame if that happens on a modern game, but possible.
#20MooseMuffinPosted 4/3/2008 6:18:56 AM
Some of the stuff listed, like the footsteps thing, is indeed caused by too many frames for the sound to keep up on. The jumping thing is a little different however. The game calculates your position for every frame, and this position is represented as coordinates. While each unit of position is very small, it still must be an integer so the calculated values are rounded up or down accordingly. The rounding errors are mostly insignificant, but with certain frame rates you can accumulate enough rounding up per frame in a jump to be able to make jumps others cannot. In quake3 (which the original Call of Duty is based on), the magic number was 125. This let you jump almost 10% higher than normal. Going much higher was pointless, as 150 actually made your jump shorter than normal and, 200 was back to normal.

Jumping is much less important in CoD4 than it was in q3 however. Most 'jumping' is really context sensitive climbing actions now.