A beginner's guide to Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery

#11Apocalypse_WOWPosted 9/12/2007 6:02:19 AMmessage detail
I wish I'd read the military section of your post earlier, I just bought this game and after a couple of story missions I played continuous mode and got beat up when I tried to invade someone's island with basic troops! Now I know where I went wrong...
#12cHaLLeNGer2112Posted 9/20/2007 11:06:42 AMmessage detail
One or two things I am not quite getting though, firstly I am playing this game and I have say three levels of civilisation settle, all of a sudden, the lower civ disappears, taxes are fine and all requirements are met, yet they just appear then disappear?

Also, one of my civs is making demands for a university and a bath house, I have provided one of each on the two islands I have houses on and they cover every house. Yet the exclamation mark won't disappear and they keep asking for it, I cannot advance until they accept it, so what am I doing wrong here?

Also on the tutorial mission where you have to help another colony, my civs are demanding chocolate, yet the only island which can grow it, is a piddly little island with poor caoco fertility, as a result I can only fit two farms and two apiarys and it never seems like my warehouse has any of the materials in it, plus I have spells where production slows and my population gets angry again - have no idea how I can get round this as no other islands have the fertility necessary.
---
~*+*~The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing~*+*~
#13Apocalypse_WOWPosted 9/21/2007 12:53:25 AMmessage detail
The lower civ disappears becuase they advance to the next level, which is a good thing as they bring in more revenue through taxation :)
---
In the beginning, the world was without form, and void...
#14cHaLLeNGer2112Posted 9/21/2007 9:23:27 AMmessage detail
Another question, I have built on an island which is quite big, as a result I am only using half of it, the other half I was planning on using for house construction, however I cannot build on it, when I try to, it blacks the area out and the building appears in red indicating it cannot be built (even though there is plenty of space).

Do I need to colonise the other half of the island with another warehouse or is there something I am overlooking?

---
~*+*~The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing~*+*~
#15jspeederPosted 9/23/2007 6:58:04 AMmessage detail
Hey I got a question, sometimes when I find an island, the bottom resources, the minerals, have 3 things listed, I know that one is the stone/brick, and the other is iron, but then there is the silver one, which may be silver, but I don't know what it is used for, maybe jewlery, but how do you mine it then? Do you use the iron smelter?
#16cHaLLeNGer2112Posted 9/23/2007 9:41:55 AMmessage detail
The silver icon is jewellry, to mine it you need to locate a mountain with jewellry deposits (floating silver symbol over the mountain instead of a black one). The required buildings are a jewel mine near the mountain and a jewellery within close proximity to the mine.
---
#17GordonRobbPosted 10/10/2007 6:17:40 AMmessage detail
jspeeder to expand your build sphere build a market at the edge of you current sphere voila there ya go
---
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the north, general of the Felix legions
#18jvgfanatic(VIP)Posted 1/6/2008 5:01:08 PMmessage detail
I built a spice farm on a remote island and I never seem to gain spice in my main island settlement. I'm wondering how do I transfer spices from a remote island to satisfy the people in the main settlement? Maybe I am gaining spices, just not noticing them...
#19cjekPosted 1/30/2008 1:13:03 PMmessage detail

jvgfanatic posted...
I built a spice farm on a remote island and I never seem to gain spice in my main island settlement. I'm wondering how do I transfer spices from a remote island to satisfy the people in the main settlement? Maybe I am gaining spices, just not noticing them...

You'll need to set up a trade route; each island has its own economy, so you'll need to use a ship to transport spice from one island to another.

#20jvgfanatic(VIP)Posted 2/1/2008 1:22:17 AMmessage detail
Actually it seems to work fine without ships at all. As long as you have a market on the island with the resource (which you automatically do with the ship that landed there) any items built within that market's influence area seems to be added to the total pool.