A beginner's guide to Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery

#21greenzealotPosted 2/1/2008 10:09:04 AMmessage detail
This is true. No trade routes are needed across islands.
#22Hootie91Posted 3/6/2008 10:47:56 PMmessage detail
Why is it I always have such a hard time trying to produce even scarce amounts of jewelry and chocolate? I always build the desired amount of factories/apiaries/etc, yet my stock is constantly dwindling and I rarely have enough money to keep production running at a feasible level.

Also, can anyone help me out with conquering other islands? I can send fleets with 10 ships yet I really can't seem to get a good hold on an island before getting pushed back and defeated.

Any tips you can expand on to help out with this? Once I get these two problems sorted my colony will really explode.
---
"I mean, if I killed George Bush that wouldn't make portals to Iraq appear in my front yard." -Massany7 on Oblivion \(O_)/
#23WhistlebutaPosted 4/6/2008 10:55:38 AMmessage detail

Hootie91 posted...
Why is it I always have such a hard time trying to produce even scarce amounts of jewelry and chocolate? I always build the desired amount of factories/apiaries/etc, yet my stock is constantly dwindling and I rarely have enough money to keep production running at a feasible level.

Also, can anyone help me out with conquering other islands? I can send fleets with 10 ships yet I really can't seem to get a good hold on an island before getting pushed back and defeated.

Any tips you can expand on to help out with this? Once I get these two problems sorted my colony will really explode.
---
"I mean, if I killed George Bush that wouldn't make portals to Iraq appear in my front yard." -Massany7 on Oblivion (O_)/

I'm having the same issue with Chocolate. Any tips?

#24RaestlozPosted 4/30/2008 9:12:47 AMmessage detail
Some tip that might be helpful for the guide:

Always think of your building's needs.

You must've seen the "influence area" of a building when you tried to build it. Public buildings, splendours, military, and protection buildings do have the usual definition: how far the building can influence, but production buildings works differently: the influence area is actually the area they need to be able to work with 100% productivity. You should have noticed the percentage you see when you choose a building, 100% means it's working perfectly, and lower must not be good. Allocate the sufficient space for your buildings. Placing 2 cattle farms side-by-side will lower your buildings' productivity, and this is not good. Sure, having 2 79%s seem to work better than 1 100%. But do this too much and the productivity may be as low as 59%.

Note: factories have different use of influence area, it indicates which buildings' resources can this building use, otherwise it will take the goods from the market

Try to build with great efficiency

Anno 1701 is a Real-Time Strategy, that said, your resources will increase as the time flows, which happens to be a vital resource. Wasting your time to wait for a building to have the stock transported to a market will be a waste of time, even 1 sec per transport will be 1 minute long if you played long enough. Try to build factories as near as possible with their source (e.g. build a market beside your shipyard, you'll be surprised to see how fast the ship builds, up to 12 secs flat only, it happened to me). Think of the source's needs too, building them too near to the factory (except for grain farm and apiary) may lower their productivity. Also, try to remember what building needs what source. Build a lumberjack near an ore smelter immediately, don't wait until the game tell you to do so. Doing this will let your resources arrive at market and warehouses faster, and so your needs will be fulfilled quicker.
---
For the End of The World spell, press Alt Ctrl Del (Warcraft III The Frozen Throne, Blood-elf, Sorceress)
#25AcdcfantonyPosted 6/23/2008 6:55:11 AMmessage detail
Great job! Too bad this game isn't popular.
---
Currently Playing: Re4, Twilight Princess, FFIII.
#26imgoingmadPosted 7/11/2008 1:30:47 PMmessage detail
If this is realtime, does that mean further into the game it becomes a "click" or "tap" fest... because a lot of stuff happens at once, and happens too fast?

How this compared to CivRev on DS (which is turn-based I believe)

And how is this compared to Rise Of Nations (PC)?
#27jvgfanatic(VIP)Posted 7/22/2008 4:23:24 AMmessage detail
I found that the game moves at a reasonable pace for someone who does NOT play RTS games at all. I found I was ahead of the curve during the entire story line. Haven't spent a lot of time in Free Play but I would never call Anno a tap-fest, even during times of heated combat.
#28David ChengPosted 2/13/2009 2:55:25 AMmessage detail
When I tap on a building, there are some options to choose. One option is two gears. Anyone knows what is the two gears option for?

---
Most anticipated : RE5, Operation Flashpoint 2, Kingdom Under Fire 2, Dead Rising 2
#29SoulTrapperPosted 2/24/2009 12:24:22 PMmessage detail
It's used to halt the buildings production. I.e. Use it when you have a lot of wood, shut down a lumberjack, that way it wont cost you any gold.
#30iloveaoePosted 6/29/2009 3:59:46 PMmessage detail
Some comments on questions asked in this topic:

> later in the game, once you successfully conquer an enemy island,
> demolish their buildings to recover some $ and lower your building maintenance costs
In fact, I have found that unless you have a very high income or very high amount of gold, sometimes you will need to demolish enemy buildings to prevent yourself going broke.
In Chapter 5, Mission 15, if you simply take over all the enemy buildings and never demolish anything, your expenses will be astronomical (those Outposts are very expensive). It appears, however, that you cannot demolish something where there has been a recent battle, so you might have to wait a while before demolishing; I would like to demolish some of the Outposts the minute I gain control of them, so that the enemy can't attack them back and use them as a base, so that my troops there will automatically disperse to my other buildings that need them, and so that I don't incur the expense of maintaining the Outpost. But it seems to take a while before the game will show the "Demolish" icon.

>Another question, I have built on an island which is quite big,
>as a result I am only using half of it, the other half I was planning
>on using for house construction, however I cannot build on it,
>when I try to, it blacks the area out and the building appears
>in red indicating it cannot be built (even though there is plenty of space).
>
>Do I need to colonise the other half of the island with another warehouse
>or is there something I am overlooking?
You must build a Market over toward that half of the island.
Each Market or Warehouse has an area it affects, and you cannot build anything outside these areas. Building Markets is inexpensive, allows expansion into new territory, and makes your economy run better. And they act as military buildings if you are attacked. So having lots of Markets is a good thing.

>I built a spice farm on a remote island and I never seem to gain spice
>in my main island settlement. I'm wondering how do I transfer spices
>from a remote island to satisfy the people in the main settlement?
>Maybe I am gaining spices, just not noticing them...
If your people are not complaining, maybe you are producing just enough for them to consume all you are producing. In any case, you want more than that, so build another spice farm. Note, however, that another possibility is that you are building the spice farm on an island that is not fertile for spice. Click on the spice farm and then look at the bottom number on the top screen--if the number is 50 or less, you're on a bad island to be growing spice. If it is 0, it means the farm will *never* produce *any* spice.