This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

3 Chaos Orbs in one fight against Chaos, at 0.1% battlegen

#1emeraldweaponPosted 12/21/2009 1:10:02 AM
Apparently, I just beat 1 in 1,000,000,000 odds (I think I only broke him once per battle).

Or the odds don't work the way I'd think and expect (Garland can knock all the odds down).

Hmm...

---
The Best Star Ocean Topic Ever can't be stopped!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=2000261&topic=48580041
#2Skyline_Evo8Posted 12/21/2009 1:14:26 AM
You need break him for a Chaos Orb, right? Well, you can break him more than once per battle, so the odds are marginally better than what you stated.

Still, I'm almost certain that the displayed odds don't work exactly the way they seem. I've gotten way too many Orbs whose odds were 0.1% after a break for them to be accurate.
---
PSN: ZealousEntropy. Will be looking to play Dissidia after I get access to an ethernet cable.
http://i49.tinypic.com/b9agxj.jpg
#3IwantedzeroPosted 12/21/2009 1:18:38 AM
Go by a lotto ticket...
---
I brought science!
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#4IwantedzeroPosted 12/21/2009 1:18:46 AM
*buy
---
I brought science!
Live long, be happy, and try to ensure those around you do as well.
#5awesomeroxasPosted 12/21/2009 1:21:21 AM
Same thing happened to me a few days ago.
#6pirinioakPosted 12/21/2009 1:24:01 AM
Haha I've done that a few times. If an orb is battlegen'd in the first round, it will also be battlegen'd the second and third times.

---
Personally, I try to transcend the stars rather than accept their protection!
#7espritduoPosted 12/21/2009 3:44:06 AM
Whatever you battlegen during the first phase of the Chaos fight is guaranteed to be battlegened during the next two phases as well, assuming you meet whatever the criteria is for that battlegen. So if you get lucky enough to gen a Chaos Orb from breaking him in the first phase, as long as you break him in the next two phases you'll gen another two Chaos Orbs guaranteed. Blame the wonky RNG. I assume it pre-determines whether or not you'll battlegen an item at some point before the actual battle starts, and the RNG isn't reset for the next two Chaos battles.

And that 0.1% gen rate is dubious at best. I've battlegened 0.1% items many times throughout my game. I remember I actually battlegened a Protect Orb from one of the WoL mannikins during my very first run through the tutorial. I had the Barbarian's sword sitting in my inventory unbuyable for my entire 400+ hour playthrough. Very annoying.

There must be other factors involved in the battlegen rate that aren't being added to the displayed value on the pre-battle screen. I know your accessory multipliers aren't factored in on that screen, so maybe there's something else as well.