New augment path.

#1crazy4rpgPosted 1/16/2013 4:36:38 AM
Action's FAQ said to give Eye Gouge to Fusoya and I did, but apparently Eye Gouge is a really great augment and you only get it once.

So I did a do-over. and this is the Augment path I went with:

Auto-Potion = Porom
Item Lore = Palom
Counter = Cecil
Curse = Palom (I hated the idea of wasting one of the Archfiend's Augments, but Dualcast is too good to pass up)

Tsunami = Nobody yet
Twincast = Tellah & Cecil
Bluff = Tellah (it can't break 99 INT so it would be useless on Rydia when she caps INT)
Cry = Kain (seeing Kain cry is just weird)
Dualcast = Rosa
Gil Farmer = Nobody yet
Bardsong = Nobody yet
Salve = N/A
Hide = N/A
Recall = Yang
Last Stand = Yang
Fast Talker = Rydia
Whirlwind = Nobody yet
Draw Attacks = Cecil
Reach = Edge
Analyze = Fusoya (useless old man gets useless augments)
Adrenaline = N/A
Upgrade = N/A
MP +50% = Fusoya (the +HP/MP augs will be useless once I've farmed apples)
Inferno = Nobody yet
Darkness = Nobody yet
Focus = Nobody yet
Kick = Cecil
Brace = Cecil
Level Lust = Nobody yet (probably should have given this to Fusoya instead)
HP +50% = Nobody yet
Piercing Magic = Rydia
Bless = Edge
Omnicasting = Rosa
Phoenix = Kain
Treasure Hunter = Cecil
Eye Gouge = Nobody
???'s Love = Cecil
Safe Travel = Cecil

Who should I give Eye Gouge to? And who should get the "Nobody yet" augments?
Next playthrough I think I'll give Edward Auto-Potion and Level Lust. Cid will get Recall and Last Stand, how about that?
---
If life is a game, how do I enable God Mode?
#2Chaosmaster00Posted 1/16/2013 6:47:27 AM
Eye Gouge should go on Edge. Cecil and Kain will be too set with physical type augments, Rydia probably won't have any room, but may, and Rosa has too many better things in her repertoire as a White Mage. Edge usually will have nothing better going on for him when it's needed.

As for the Edward and Cid augments, it sounds good to me. Can't really see much of a problem with your choices here, just as long as the stat-maxing augments go to who needs them.
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#3dinit 7Posted 1/16/2013 8:52:45 AM
IIRC, I gave Eye Gouge to Rydia.

Only because she seemed to lack +speed augments on a 1st playthrough.
---
~DiNiT~
My mind is racing, but my body's in the lead
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 1/16/2013 5:20:32 PM
I remember giving Edward Recall... That's kinda funny...
"Back when I was a wizard... What was my favorite spell...? Fire!"
Then when Rydia "needs" to use Fire to melt the ice at Mt. Hobbs, "you are the only one of us with the power to melt that ice."
Uhh... Did you forget Edward using Fire against the Antlion? xD
---
"You think our rage a weakness? Then let me show you... how wrong you are!" - Edge, Final Fantasy IV
#5Chaosmaster00Posted 1/17/2013 1:05:29 AM
You could even power level Rydia and make her learn Fira (and maybe Firaga), but you still can't melt the ice until Rosa makes Rydia use FIRE... I can set the air ablaze, but I can't melt a little ice in my patch?
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
#6Starloving_FoolPosted 1/19/2013 10:01:45 AM
Eye Gouge should go on Edge.

I disagree. Prior to gaining the Onion Sword, Edge will be your most consistent, accurate damage-dealer. You'd probably want him attacking every turn instead of whiffing like Cecil and Kain would (or only doing half-damage due to the enemies being resistant to Holy damage). You could put it on Kain since even Jump can be inaccurate and once he's used Cry, he won't have much else to contribute.

Cecil should be constantly defending (if you use Counter and Draw Attacks), Rosa should be using either Pray or her white magic to buff the party and Rydia can either use status element spells or the Stardust Rod's "comet" or even the Dragon Whip's basic attacks (once the enemies are blinded, you can actually manage to inflict paralysis with this if you're lucky - even the almighty Behemoth falls victim to this xD) and Edge should be attacking every turn or, if you have the money, throwing Fuma Shurikens.

He's far more helpful in that manner than missing like Cecil.

---
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"
#7Chaosmaster00Posted 1/19/2013 11:51:58 AM(edited)
See, the problem with your argument is that it relies on Cecil and Kain's lack of accuracy and their most powerful and effective weapons. If we're going by a long-term use of Eye Gouge, rather than petty practicality, once Cecil and Kain have consistently powerful attacks, with Cecil tanking and Kain Crying and Jumping for damage with the Onion Sword, since those two will also likely be the ones with LIMIT BREAK (if not Rydia, which in that case, I pity you for the choice over a character that can actually deal 99999 conventionally like Cecil and Kain can), Edge really will not have much more to do than simply Throw for potential max damage of 9999.

Or, he can play support for the REAL heavy-hitters who can deal those higher numbers regularly, and do things like Salving or Throwing, or, Eye Gouging while Rosa Berserks the enemy party and Slows them with Dualcast/Omnicast/Fast Talker and whatev; Rydia will just be blowing **** up with her high-end magic with either dualcasts or summons, or possible Omnicasting Break/Stop or other effective statuses that apply; and of course have Cecil tank possible hits with Draw Attacks, Counter, and Kick as his Counterattack, and Kain can Cry to assist, and then aid Cecil in picking off foes with Jumps, since the less damage you have to take, the better.
---
#8Starloving_FoolPosted 1/19/2013 12:15:50 PM
The problem with your argument is that it depends solely on end game equipments - things you're not going to have for a very long time what with the insanely low drop rate and the amount of time it takes to get through the game two times to get those Limit Break augments.

The majority of your time will be spent trying to get those Red Tail drops to get the Onion Swords you need to make Cecil and Kain into those powerful characters and in that time, you'll need someone with strong physical attacks who can hit every turn and who doesn't have their damage halved by the holy-resistant enemies in the Lunar Subterrain.

I will grant that for the final bosses or the superbosses, you might could use Edge for Eye Gouge but then again, aren't those bosses either immune to Blind or otherwise, circumvent it?

---
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
#9Chaosmaster00Posted 1/19/2013 1:16:50 PM
You keep saying about how enemies resist the Holy element in the final dungeon. Why do you assume the use of the Ragnarok/Holy Lance above all else non-elemental, like Defender, Poison Axe, or (possibly) Rune Axe? After seeing their overall ineffectiveness for myself, I almost never used the Holy weapons over the non-elemental ones, and I can't say that I'm the only one who believes the same way.

One might argue similarly for Edge, though; why even bother attacking with him when you can throw and pretty much never miss AND get excruciating damage out of it as well? Edge doesn't need his Attack to be effective, but neither is his possible damage output endgame even CLOSE to the potential any of the others have (barring Rosa, though her Artemis Bow/Arrow combo being strong against Dragons and having slightly higher total Attack means even SHE could out-DPS Edge in physicals, given the opportunity).
---
#10Starloving_FoolPosted 1/19/2013 1:23:51 PM
Chaosmaster00 posted...
>You keep saying about how enemies resist the Holy element in the final dungeon. Why do you assume the use of the Ragnarok/Holy Lance above all else non-elemental, like Defender, Poison Axe, or (possibly) Rune Axe? After seeing their overall ineffectiveness for myself, I almost never used the Holy weapons over the non-elemental ones, and I can't say that I'm the only one who believes the same way.

The Ragnarok has a higher accuracy than the Defender and a greater base strength than the Poison Axe. The Rune Axe is a 0.4% drop (I believe) from the Armored Fiends, a very *tough* enemy and why bother going after that when you can do the same for the Onion Sword?

Either way, Edge's 100% accuracy flat out beats the other weapons in terms of hit percentage and even though the damage may be less per hit, it's still better overall than missing so frequently with the tough and evasive enemies you're going to fight down in the depths of the final dungeon.

One might argue similarly for Edge, though; why even bother attacking with him when you can throw and pretty much never miss AND get excruciating damage out of it as well? Edge doesn't need his Attack to be effective, but neither is his possible damage output endgame even CLOSE to the potential any of the others have (barring Rosa, though her Artemis Bow/Arrow combo being strong against Dragons and having slightly higher total Attack means even SHE could out-DPS Edge in physicals, given the opportunity).

His damage *does* outdo the others because whilst they are missing, he is constantly doing damage and in the end, that's how you kill enemies; not by "whiffing" and only sometimes doing more damage but by reducing their HP. I suggested attacking over throwing simply because of the monetary cost of the Fuma Shurikens - granted, if you're going after Red Tails, you can probably earn enough to buy a lot of them but until you get to that point, your Gil consumption will be high enough just with trying to keep Rydia and Rosa's MP high for casting.

---