Advice for creating a Party

#1ShuyinOnTheWayPosted 3/6/2012 12:28:20 PM
I've read through a lot of topics about jobs related stuff and I'm sorry if this has been answered ike a million times, though I'd love to hear some opinions and advice for the party I'm about to create. *bows*

Vaan: Monk
Since he has Steal I wanted a close ranged job especially for that reason.

Fran: Red Mage
Can learn -ga spells via Espers and has in general access to some curative magicks.

Balthier: Archer
Actually I'm not so sure about this; Maybe I should switch Balthier with Basch.

... And I'm not sure about the other 3 characters, yet I can say, I don't really need Haste (Which should exclude Machinist and Time Mage).

What do you think? :D
---
Official Flying Airship of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
My Level 1 Walkthrough: www.youtube.com/user/ShuYinOnTheWay <--- PSN
#2ZekuMusashiPosted 3/6/2012 1:19:14 PM
Maybe I should switch Balthier with Basch.

Definitely this, for better damage and a faster attack animation.

The other three could make a team of e.g.

Balthier - White Mage
Ashe - Samurai
Penelo - Uhlan

Stealing healer = yay, best Samurai (Shades of Black is dope early on), an Uhlan who can actually put the Job's Black Magic to some use.

You could also go with, say, Black Mage for Ashe and Hunter for Penelo, though that'd ruin the armor symmetry
(counting Samurai as Heavy because of Genji Gear, /note that Archer should keep Light Armor) which is of course super important.
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#3TCrinaleTPosted 3/6/2012 1:32:24 PM
You will call me troll...but I just created a new game with 3 white mages as the 3 main characters and I equipped each one with a gendarme and a trango tower lol. It's certainly not the most damaging team ever, but probably the most solid one. Also, gendarme + ribbon (normally I have 3 bubble belts against most monsters) and you are almost untouchable.
#4ShuyinOnTheWay(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2012 3:23:48 PM
ZekuMusashi posted...
Maybe I should switch Balthier with Basch.

Definitely this, for better damage and a faster attack animation.

The other three could make a team of e.g.

Balthier - White Mage
Ashe - Samurai
Penelo - Uhlan

Stealing healer = yay, best Samurai (Shades of Black is dope early on), an Uhlan who can actually put the Job's Black Magic to some use.

You could also go with, say, Black Mage for Ashe and Hunter for Penelo, though that'd ruin the armor symmetry
(counting Samurai as Heavy because of Genji Gear, /note that Archer should keep Light Armor) which is of course super important.

Oh wow, thank you! Would it be a good idea to let Penelo be a Knight instead?
Also why not switch Balthier with Penelo? Doesn't Penelo have more MAG in the end?

You will call me troll...but I just created a new game with 3 white mages as the 3 main characters and I equipped each one with a gendarme and a trango tower lol. It's certainly not the most damaging team ever, but probably the most solid one. Also, gendarme + ribbon (normally I have 3 bubble belts against most monsters) and you are almost untouchable.

I'm not really familiar with the IZJS new weapons, but when would be the earliest point you can get these two? Also, I've read about Seitengrate and yeah... not getting that one.
---
#5ZekuMusashiPosted 3/6/2012 4:05:54 PM(edited)
Would it be a good idea to let Penelo be a Knight instead?

Sure, if you want. It's just that Uhlan / Hunter are similar if not better (definitely faster, in any case) for physical damage
and with White Magic already covered, I think those Jobs' Item Lores and flyer hitting capabilities gives you more overall.

Also why not switch Balthier with Penelo? Doesn't Penelo have more MAG in the end?

Anyone makes a good enough White Mage, like with Heavy Armor Jobs and STR, all Mystic Armor Jobs reach 99 MAG eventually
(and as for MP, there's - besides simply Ether chugging - Syphon which you could use on Uhlan / Hunter).
Also, Steal (innate to Balthier, as well as Vaan and Fran) on a Job that doesn't really excel in offense (undead smiting excluded) is just neat
and more STR for (Holy) Rod (as well as Quickening) damage is not bad to have, either.
Lastly, I just think Balthier looks pimp attacking with Rods and Holy Rod goes fabulously with his outfit :P
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#6TCrinaleTPosted 3/7/2012 1:13:39 AM
ShuyinOnTheWay posted...
ZekuMusashi posted...
I'm not really familiar with the IZJS new weapons, but when would be the earliest point you can get these two? Also, I've read about Seitengrate and yeah... not getting that one.

Quite in the end of the game. You will find that white mages are very weak offensively throughout the game (mainly due to the fact that the rods are rubbish :P) and might have a hard time against some bosses. But I found main story bosses really easy when you get your hands on a good esper. For example, as soon as you kill belias, you get your diamond armlet in the dalmaca east sands (very easy to do), level up a bit the guy you attached belias to (20-25 should be enough) and go straight to Addramelech in the zertinan caverns. Diamond armlet = immune to thunder, so it shouldn't be so hard. Once you get Addramelech you will see that things don't look so hard :D. At some point, Addramelech will struggle, when that happens, just get some other esper like Cuchulain for instance, that one is a real beast! You can get to the end of the game EASILY relying heavily on espers, and then, once you are there, you look up for the best equipment for your character roles :). That's what I did with the 3 white mages :p. Also, I love controllable espers in this version, I happen to think they are really really good, most of them are immune/very resillient to most elements and have an autoribbon equipped. Also, their stats are very decent. Not using them is a crime :d.
#7TirpitzLuminarePosted 3/7/2012 9:28:06 AM
TCrinaleT posted...
Quite in the end of the game. You will find that white mages are very weak offensively throughout the game (mainly due to the fact that the rods are rubbish :P) and might have a hard time against some bosses. .

White Mages are anything but weak offensively. Perhaps if you are using them to attack then yeah, the only Rod worth anything in that department is the Holy Rod. If you look at the majority of enemies end game, Great Crystal, Subterra, and Henne Mines a vast number of them are Undead. Curaja absolutely annihilates them, quicker than even a Knight with Excalibur.

Story-Line boss fights are all but trivial, I can't think of a single one that was overly difficult, well the Elder Wyrm the first time I suppose. A White Mage is useful in all of these fights doing what it is they do. On the more difficult bosses, say Hell Wyrm, high end Elite Marks and they like than a White Mage making sure everyone is Reversed constantly is a Godsend.

As for the majority of the game having a White Mage makes your life so much easier. There are so many Undead enemies in this game that having Gambits set to cure party and cure Undead makes difficult areas so much easier. Out of all the Final Fantasy games I would say that this version's White Mage is by far the most powerful and useful. Other Final Fantasy games had the White mage as pretty much the old standby to heal and stuff, well Rosa was deadly with the Artemis Bow/Arrow but other than that their offense sucked. In FFXII their offense is ridiculously powerful. Not to mention you can use Holy as a stop-gap for enemies casting spells on you! Oh the woes of single spell animation lol.

Seriously though saying a White Mage offense is lacking in any facet of the game isn't really true. Their power is in their spells not their weapons. Even using Trango Tower and Gendarme they wont be uber-DPS, because they weren't designed to be.

Tirpitz
---
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System Maps-
http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0
#8ShuyinOnTheWay(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 10:30:52 AM
Anyone makes a good enough White Mage, like with Heavy Armor Jobs and STR, all Mystic Armor Jobs reach 99 MAG eventually
(and as for MP, there's - besides simply Ether chugging - Syphon which you could use on Uhlan / Hunter).
Also, Steal (innate to Balthier, as well as Vaan and Fran) on a Job that doesn't really excel in offense (undead smiting excluded) is just neat
and more STR for (Holy) Rod (as well as Quickening) damage is not bad to have, either.
Lastly, I just think Balthier looks pimp attacking with Rods and Holy Rod goes fabulously with his outfit :P

Oh, that's awesome then! My team would be:

Vaan = Monk
Fran = Red Mage
Basch = Archer
Ashe = Samurai
Balthier = White Mage
Penelo = Uhlan

Thank you very much for your input and information!

@TCrinaleT & TirpitzLuminare

To be honest I think White Mages are good against almost (if not every) all enemies. Undead = Curative spells and everything else = Drain; Would work great early game, I guess. Not to mention that you have access to Dispel to neglect mainly Reflect and buffs.
---
#9TCrinaleTPosted 3/7/2012 3:22:30 PM
Yeah ok...white mages can be very devastating against the undead...and against non-undead foes you can always reverse + curaja them I suppose?
However, in this game you have to be careful with " heavy spells abusing" because you know what happens with the "casting queue"...

White mage is more like a support + healer. But having 3 white mages trying to kill anything with spells...I don't know. Maybe against the undead is easy but, what about the level 65 abysteel's from the henne mines for instance. What I was saying about a party of 3 white mages is that even though they are not as powerful as other classes (physically talking), they are much more versatile. A white mage has curaja, renew, arise, bubble, decoy, reverse, protectga, shellga, esunaga, bravery, faith... all the spells I have listed are extremely helpful. I prefer having this rather than a role that gives me brute force and nothing else.
#10TirpitzLuminarePosted 3/7/2012 3:44:23 PM
TCrinaleT posted...
Maybe against the undead is easy but, what about the level 65 abysteel's from the henne mines for instance.

Abysteel are Undead.

Tirpitz
---
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System Maps-
http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0