Is having no heavy armor class okay?

#1DarkSamurai29Posted 8/30/2012 6:24:33 PM
I'm pretty new to IZJS, beat first version once a while back but, I followed the advice of various posts on here to a certain degree, and came up with:

Party 1:
Vann: Monk
Basch: Archer
Fran: Hunter

(I know Fran is best as a Red Mage. I understand I was one class away from the infamous Monk/RM/Archer party.. But I just couldn't do it... Her demeanor and outit just scream Ninja at me, so I diverted there.)

Party 2:
Ashe: Samurai
Balthier: WM
Penelo: BM

(As far as I understand those classes all fit extremely well, it was hard to make Balthier a WM but some guy wrote before about how pimp he looks with rods and sold me. - as you can tell aesthetics are important for me I gotta say, quite disappointed in how Ashe holds katanas like big lollipops but the 99 STR/MAG attracts me)

But then I realized I didn't have a heavy armor class and Samurais are not tanks (right?)

So I reorganized to:

Party 1:
Hunter: Fran
Samurai: Ashe
WM: Balthier

And Party 2:
Monk: Vann
Archer: Basche
BM: Penelo

Will A monk and a hunter serve as sufficient tanks? And do I have enough healing in party 2? (will Basch's item use and curara support the Monk's healing? With Penelo's early cure to help me in early game.)
I chose everything and then looked around and realized I won't have any pure heavy armor (at least until Basch gets Shemhazai and Genji for Ashe - and on that note should I give Shemhazai to Ashe for shield block with the genji shield/masamune I late game? Or Heavy Armor for Basch increased damage and defense?)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
#2ArchiantagonistPosted 8/30/2012 8:33:15 PM
DarkSamurai29 posted...
Will A monk and a hunter serve as sufficient tanks?

YES!

And do I have enough healing in party 2?(will Basch's item use and curara support the Monk's healing?With Penelo's early cure to help me in early game.)

You should do fine

I chose everything and then looked around and realized I won't have any pure heavy armor (at least until Basch gets Shemhazai and Genji for Ashe - and on that note should I give Shemhazai to Ashe for shield block with the genji shield/masamune I late game? Or Heavy Armor for Basch increased damage and defense?)

I don't remember at the moment who can benefit more from getting Shemhazai,
but out of these 2 I'd choose Basch...though it's your choice, honestly
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#3ZekuMusashiPosted 8/31/2012 2:14:17 AM
Why don't you make Penelo a Red Mage? You'll have:
- still great magical damage by exploiting elemental weaknesses (plus yay Dark-boosting equips)
- more (de)buffing options (at the cost of Blind but oh well), yay Protect / Shell / Slow / Immobilize / Disable / no Dispel Mote farming
- strong healing that's seriously good to have (IMO) as Cure can't really keep up with Monk HP and Archer's Cura, especially on Basch,
simply doesn't cut it for much more than an after-battle, small-scrapes heal a la Samurai's Cure (though that Cure is actually stronger, lol).

A 5% blocking increase is IMO not worth the loss of such a big damage increase on Archer.

Outside of maybe storming into optional / later areas early with a ... not quite up to speed team,
I've rarely found a need for a designated tank, TBH (and even then, it's, while useful, still not completely vital I'd say).
I've used stealing White Mages to draw aggro - so that the other two are at full HP for Focus / Serenity to stay active as much as possible -
plenty of times and it's worked out just fine, really. Mystic Armor isn't that flimsy and White Mage is the defensive buff king,
e.g. (Healing Rod's) Regen + Drain, with maybe a Protect(ga) / Bubble thrown in / instead of Regen, should keep your HP up nicely.
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#4DarkSamurai29(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2012 6:27:14 AM
Thanks for the input guys,

Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20, when I made Penelo the black Mage I was preparing on making Fran a Red Mage.. But I just couldn't do it, Plus I thought if I had black and white I don't need Red (didn't do enough research).
With that line-up I'm just thinking that's the best I can do with the classes I have.
Basch can't heal well with all his item lores? That's a non-factor?
#5ZekuMusashiPosted 8/31/2012 7:47:35 AM(edited)
Oh, Archer's Item Lores are top-notch, it's just that, barring maybe Decoy (which, to be fair, I may have vastly underused),
your non-team-leader/tank characters will, on plenty of occasions, receive damage from AoE / being surrounded / whatnot;
even the strongest single-target healing doesn't do much for the not-targetted party members, after all :P
---
#6ShiningBladerPosted 8/31/2012 8:02:36 AM
ZekuMusashi posted...
Oh, Archer's Item Lores are top-notch (Pheasant Netsuke lets X-Potions heal for ~5000 and makes Phoenix Down an instant Arise),
it's just that, barring maybe Decoy (which, to be fair, I may have vastly underused),
your non-team-leader/tank characters will, on plenty of occasions, receive damage from AoE / being surrounded / whatnot;
even the strongest single-target healing doesn't do much for the not-targetted party members, after all :P

Archer is awesome, hands down.

Oh and to point out that X-potion with 3 potions lores and pleasant netsuke heals 4150 hp. That ends up being a little low for bubbled characters over level 80

Buuut when that happens you can just go "screw hp. ATTACK!!" and send your chars to recklessly attack and whenever one of them falls just bring archer and ressurect them at full health.

Death ends up being like a portal for an instant healing, a death-and-rebirth cycle! And said like this, it sounds epic! Do you feel like using an archer now? ´cause I do :D
---
One thing that the FF fanbase has over KH's is that at least they are the first ones to admit when their game's writting sucks.
#7ZekuMusashiPosted 8/31/2012 8:56:48 AM
^ Yeah, I messed up on the Potion Lores / Pheasant Netsuke calculations (a pox on you for quoting before my edit).
Although, someone help me out here:

According to the Differences Guide, in IZJS, X-Potion heals for 1500 with 0 Potion Lores.
Potion Lores 1-3 up the effect by 20%, 30% and 40%, respectively ... for a total of 90%, right?
Pheasant Netsuke is a 50% boost.
All put together, I get 1500 * 1.9 * 1.5 = 4275 ... which is 125 too much. Huh. What did I do wrong? Why do the maths fail me?

Death ends up being like a portal for an instant healing, a death-and-rebirth cycle!

Reminded me of

New way to play this game: melee characters with Revive Warping trick
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/63662393
---
#8ShiningBladerPosted 8/31/2012 11:04:36 AM
ZekuMusashi posted...
^ Yeah, I messed up on the Potion Lores / Pheasant Netsuke calculations (a pox on you for quoting before my edit).
Although, someone help me out here:

According to the Differences Guide, in IZJS, X-Potion heals for 1500 with 0 Potion Lores.
Potion Lores 1-3 up the effect by 20%, 30% and 40%, respectively ... for a total of 90%, right?
Pheasant Netsuke is a 50% boost.
All put together, I get 1500 * 1.9 * 1.5 = 4275 ... which is 125 too much. Huh. What did I do wrong? Why do the maths fail me?

Your math is right. I commited a mistake.
---
One thing that the FF fanbase has over KH's is that at least they are the first ones to admit when their game's writting sucks.
#9DarkSamurai29(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2012 8:57:33 PM
Thanks guys, circle of life and death it is, much more excited about party 1 anyway... Thoroughly enjoying Ashe's shades of black in early game right now.
Thanks again.