deathgaze and emperor scale

#1Cloud--StrifePosted 10/1/2012 4:34:10 PM
hi i missed my importunity to steal an emperor scale from the elder wyrm so what i want to know is it possible to steal two emperor scales from deathgaze or do i have to steal one from that over powered fiend (forgot its name). one more question if i do have to fight that monster where is the best spot to find him.
---
men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
-- Crisis Core
#2ZekuMusashiPosted 10/1/2012 5:37:19 PM
if i do have to fight that monster where is the best spot to find him

There's only one place where you can find Archaeoaevis...es (Archaeoaevii?), the Balamka Fault in the Zertinan Caverns.
But you're in luck, as they'll always spawn in a pair, thus making farming those Emperor Scales so much easier.
If I were to deviously grin to an appropriate amount right now, I think I'd seriously rip my face apart.

BTW, Item Location Reference Guide by Necrolesian
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/faqs/63057

FFXII IZJS Game Maps by TirpitzLuminare
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ifax1j0xcjd77x/FFXII_IZJS_MAPS_1.03.rar

Not sure about Deathgaze but, if it was possible to repeatedly steal from it, I think it would've been easy
to e.g. find a topic mentioning that as an alternative to those Anchovies guys. Alas, no such luck.
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#3ArchiantagonistPosted 10/1/2012 9:32:09 PM
Cloud--Strife posted...
is it possible to steal two emperor scales from deathgaze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N8wQo1cDXE
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#4ZekuMusashiPosted 10/2/2012 5:58:48 AM
^ Ah, so you can leave during the battle, neato.
---
You want an awesome free Collectible Card Game?
~~~~~~~~ www.cardmasterconflict.com ~~~~~~~~
#5TirpitzLuminarePosted 10/2/2012 9:26:42 AM(edited)
I posted this a on a thread on the next page but since it pertains to this I will post it again with some updated information. The video Archiantagonist posted is good although there used to be a really detailed one that explained what they were doing and why. I have been unable to find this video.... Anyway this is a detailed explanation of what is going on.

Deathgaze Stealing - Process of getting around his Pailing. Essentially it speeds up the stealing process dramatically. Why is this such and involved process let me explain.

Deathgaze is rooted in place however he has another extremely powerful defense in a Pailing. As you know a Pailing will make Deathgaze (or any mob who casts one) invulnerable for a time. Invulnerable to everything, stealing included. What the process does is two fold; it is a "sneak attack" if you will to hurt him before he puts up his pailing. Then the second part is because he is hurt he will drop his pailing to heal the damage. Which gives you the chance to steal.... so three fold... anyway this is the process.

The Airship Route you want to take is Archades <--> Balfonheim Port, this is because of the vendors wares. They sell Knots of Rust which while not 100% necessary they are cheap and you don't miss them when they are gone. Plus you can always buy more on this route! The video above shows Fran casting fire, this works as well, actually anything that damages him will, but as a "Catch All" I use Knot of Rust since not everyone will have a class that can cast offensive magic.

So once you got the event running go to the Air Deck and, if you want you can dispel him, just read on before you do as you will need to cast dispel the same way as fire/knot of rust. As the video shows lowering the combat speed in the options window is a good thing to do. Only have 1 character out, this is very important. What you want to do is stand midway on the stairs. He wont be able to hit you from there. Now throw the Knot of Rust. You will be out of range at this point and that is a good thing. Your Charge meter will be fully charged. You need to running little circles on the stairs towards him. Keep doing this until you throw the Knot of Rust. This is the tricky part since finding the exact range where your character will throw and not have him automatically put up his Pailing is time consuming the first time. It's not something that is easily explained. Pretty much once you do it you will figure it out, via trial and error.

Once you chuck the Knot of Rust it should hit him and hurt him. It is imperative that it actually hurts him. If it does run back down to the landing again. You will need to wait around 30 seconds or so. This is so you clear Agro, (Character name will change from Red to White). A side note I never tried the changing weapon trick to clear ago, not sure if it works or not, though if it does it will speed this part up. Now when this happens you will queue up Steal and rush him. He will drop his pailing and cast Renew on himself (thus why it was important to actually hurt him with the Knot of Rust). Once you have stolen from him zone back to the Observation Parlor. Repeat the process until you get 2 Emperor Scales. You only need to zone one zone unlike other enemies to re-set his loot, IIRC this applies to all Hunt Mobs.

So I know this sounds overly complicated. However much like the Larva Eater process it is so much easier than it sounds once you actually do it. Make sure you have your fastest character for this process, a Hunter is Ideal. Equipping Thief's Cuffs is a must. So again I would highly recommend going this route to get the Emperor Scales rather than dealing with the Archaeoaevis's.

Hope this Helps,
Tirpitz
---
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System Maps-
#6ArchiantagonistPosted 10/2/2012 10:28:28 AM
However much like the Larva Eater process it is so much easier than it sounds once you actually do it.

x_______.'
---
--------------------x_0--------------------
#7TirpitzLuminarePosted 10/2/2012 12:14:54 PM
Archiantagonist posted...
However much like the Larva Eater process it is so much easier than it sounds once you actually do it.

x_______.'

LOL

I mean chain spawning not actually getting the drop ;+)
---
#8Cloud--Strife(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2012 3:51:47 PM
thanks for the advice fellas
---
men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades
-- Crisis Core
#9TCrinaleTPosted 10/5/2012 11:00:20 AM(edited)
That wall of text...not sure what you really explained there, but all I did to steal emperors scales from Deathgaze was:

1- Use a character with steal and shade of black.
2- Get near Deathgaze, cast shade of black and hope it's a spell that damages him.
3- After he receives some damage with your shades of black let him target you but do not let him CAST THAT SPELL, so...as soon as you see he targets you move back and remain on the stairs, he will just be stuck there trying to cast a spell that will never land because of the outrange.
4- Press L1 until paling goes off, then he will immediately cast renew and that's when you will rush and steal him.
5- Zone out and repeat this process.

Doing these I stole 2 in 15 mins.
#10TirpitzLuminarePosted 10/8/2012 2:28:23 PM
TCrinaleT posted...
That wall of text...not sure what you really explained there,.

What you said but with more detail. Some people like that. Then again this is the age of TL;DR...............
---