Let's Break Star Ocean

#1XRhinehartXPosted 7/5/2013 1:43:24 AM
Yo, it's Rhinehart. I'm not really known on this (surprisingly active) board, but I'm a regular in the Star Ocean 3 boards here and I've finally gotten around to starting a Let's Play project I've been planning for ages. Let's Break the Star Ocean Trilogy. In this upcoming series of videos, I'll be using a lot of gamebreaking strategies (no cheats, codes or tool-assistance, aside from emulators used solely to play the games) involving the mechanics from the first three Star Ocean games.

To provide you with a taste of things to come, I made a trailer out of highlights from my Star Ocean videos so far (although there's only one Star Ocean 1 video so far, that'll change once I get started 'cuz I'm starting from the beginning. Video quality kinda shifts between the clips 'cuz some of the clips I used are from my old live stream on justin.tv, but there are a couple cases in the trailer where recreating those clips would either be extremely difficult (winning the last battle in the Evac Corridor on 4D mode with a 6 HP Peppita) or impossible (getting glitched to death by taking 99999 damage when I should've been taking 0).

So here it is, the preview of coming attractions: http://youtu.be/GVLAU1noBeA

The versions I'll be using are the original SNES and PSX (undub) versions of the first game (regrettably, I haven't found a good AND working PSP emulator yet to record with) and my PS2 for SO3 (which will not be undubbed 'cuz PS2 emulation doesn't work too well for me, either). Anyhow, have fun and I'll be checking back on this board a bit, too. It's cool to see it so active.
#2VeghEstherPosted 7/5/2013 9:12:17 AM
The SNES star ocean 1 is way harder to break then the PSP version.
#3XRhinehartX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2013 8:20:10 AM
VeghEsther posted...
The SNES star ocean 1 is way harder to break then the PSP version.

I'm aware of this. But episode 1 is live now.

http://youtu.be/VDzKcmZ9ok0
#4XRhinehartX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 3:59:48 PM
Let's Break Star Ocean The Second Story debuts! I was too eager to do the SO2 Let's Break to wait 'til the first game was finished, so I'll be doing a new episode of each a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCDG-Sllsmk
#5VeghEstherPosted 7/13/2013 10:54:46 PM
As for 2nd Story/Evolution I broke the game as soon as I got the Marvel sword out of the stolen treasure chest item then leveling Claude/Rena to like level 40+ all before Celine temporarily joins.

Yet I still had to bloody armor my party for floors 7 and 10 to 13 of the bonus dungeon including the bosses of those floors on earth mode.

Heck I recently used a Claude Opera Chisato and Dias party at all max level and still had Iselia Queens physical hits do 9999 in 1 hit on earth mode with all the bonus dungeon armors equipped AND the all stat up boost song being played and had guts never kick in (even with it at 255%).
#6grandcalabashPosted 7/14/2013 8:50:28 AM
so on that note XRhinehartX if you want the respect of the board you have to never touch bloody armor, and probably should avoid the defensive accessories that are balanced by the fact that they break over time (lunatic ring, shield earring, shield ring, protection ring, resistance ring, reflect ring)

im not too worries about the accesories effecting you as you seem to be going for offensive rather than defensive brokenness and accessory slots are precious to a good offense.

also i know its just random mobs but if you could show how you deal with the live flayers and areas fought in the same area safely that would also be very good, they scare some people on this board.
#7VeghEstherPosted 7/14/2013 10:21:39 PM(edited)
Well I had to bloody armor my party to survive its missiles I never had the live flayers on earth mode not do 9999 per missile hit even at 1 HP + Seraphic garb and comprehension/practice turned off (with those on it lowers all stats that aren't HP/MP).

I also had the blue funny thieves (floor 7 ) 1 shot my entire party, I had the monster on floor 13 that uses the same move as the mithril eater use its only move constantly before I could heal from it the first time and since it does 7000+ on earth mode I still used the bloody armor from floors 10 to 13.

But because those accessory types break its the reason I never use them the bloody armor never breaks.

I also had every one of those bosses on those floors (7th floor), 11th to 13th easily kill anybody in 1 physical hit on earth mode and could still have Iselia Queens physical hits do 9999 a hit on earth mode AT max level 255 and lost 10 seconds into the fight.
#8XRhinehartX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 8:07:02 AM(edited)
grandcalabash posted...
so on that note XRhinehartX if you want the respect of the board you have to never touch bloody armor, and probably should avoid the defensive accessories that are balanced by the fact that they break over time (lunatic ring, shield earring, shield ring, protection ring, resistance ring, reflect ring)

im not too worries about the accesories effecting you as you seem to be going for offensive rather than defensive brokenness and accessory slots are precious to a good offense.

also i know its just random mobs but if you could show how you deal with the live flayers and areas fought in the same area safely that would also be very good, they scare some people on this board.

I know that full well. Vegh and I have gone over this time and time again on the PSX SO2 board. He's an idiot, but a persistant idiot and I keep telling him I don't plan to use Bloody Armor in this playthrough, unless I use it on Bowman and Chisato on Ethereal Queen for a speedkill. But I'll likely do a 100% legit fight against her as well. I'm playing on Universe mode in Let's Break, but I've got some Ethereal Queen vids for you from Earth mode (I guess if that's the one you play on before you unlock the difficulty levels).

Fully legit Ethereal Queen speedkill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWFQWR56lE

Fastest (and most broken) Ethereal Queen speedkill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ufaxQuerRc

The interesting thing about the Weird Slayer+Bloody Armor combo is that the only real benefit on earth mode is being able to attack without getting your attacks interrupted, but on occasions where Ethereal Queen is spinning all over the map, Bloody Armor can kill you before you can reach her. That's happened to me a few times. I also learned never to try soloing Ethereal Queen with Chisato. She really can't do it (I actually did try). But more importantly, here are the playlists for the series!

Let's Break Star Ocean Fantastic Space Odyssey:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFJ9cJ_vke19mVOCzHJqsiH_2EIn8cN9v

Let's Break Star Ocean The Second Story EX:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFJ9cJ_vke1-lUNq-2EymK0U9IQg3QKI1

Also, if I didn't mention it yet here, the "EX" in the title refers to the anime Star Ocean EX. This is because I use footage from the anime in the playthrough so there's a mix of gameplay footage and anime footage. The first episode of each series is an hour long with every other episode (so far) being half an hour long. Since Star Ocean EX only covers the events of the first disc of the game, disc 2 will be a little more traditional. But I'm pretty excited about the project so far, especially since I made sure to cut out any and all the scenes and/or themes from the anime that threw off the consistency of the game's plot. Like Rena calling Claude "The Warrior" at first sight and repeatedly before the meeting with Regis, and the anime making Yuki, the JAM SELLER from Salva a one-shot main character. I did give her one scene, though.
#9VeghEstherPosted 7/31/2013 9:52:26 AM
Thats exactly why I never use Ashton since while Iselia is using the spinning attack with 4x Bloody Armor users I have Opera use Healing Star while the party is trying to reach her while the spinning attack is being used.
#10VandorLeePosted 8/10/2013 11:29:39 AM
Bloody armor! Sword of Marvels! Im god awful at this game!
---
"God didn't create humans... No!, Its humans who created God"
"Dr. Londez, "Cowboy Bebop: Brain Scratch (#1.23)" (1999)