Splitscreen offline co-op? Confirmed or denied?

#1blueninja4444Posted 4/10/2008 9:40:45 AM
I've read so many mixed answers on if this game will have split screen co-op with one console. A couple of websites said yes, a couple of web sites just say online co-op only. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I, personally, would pass this up if co-op is online only.
---
Just tell Master Raiden you couldn't win the Mortal Kombat tournament 'cuz you were high. He'll understand.
|E|A|R|T|H|R|E|A|L|M| - My Anti-Drug
#2icarlyxxPosted 4/10/2008 2:32:31 PM
blueninja4444 posted...
I've read so many mixed answers on if this game will have split screen co-op with one console. A couple of websites said yes, a couple of web sites just say online co-op only. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I, personally, would pass this up if co-op is online only.
---
Just tell Master Raiden you couldn't win the Mortal Kombat tournament 'cuz you were high. He'll understand.

I don't believe this game complete co-op but it dose offer some co-op style mission. TC you'll miss out if you would drop a game just to play split screen offline .Online plays so much better but that's your choice.
#3owenneilPosted 4/10/2008 9:30:51 PM

Co-op is online/system link only from what i understand. and it is full story and all side missions.

Mercs 2 i believe was going to be split-screen co-op. but wither that made it or not i dunno.

#4BTG47Posted 4/12/2008 1:27:39 PM
it should be. not everyone who wants to play with friends feels like buying another sytem/copy of game or xbox live. be it beyond human comprehensuion for friends to actually hangout together *gasp* AT THE SAME HOUSE!
#5BTG47Posted 4/12/2008 1:28:22 PM
^^ comprehension
#6owenneilPosted 4/12/2008 9:37:20 PM

i hear you, but a game this big would really put a hurt on a system to run it splitscreen.

my town doesnt even have high speed so i cant even get xbox live. but my friend is going to buy a 360 so we are going to just link at his house and play.

more and more games that could and should have splitscreen dont. its a sad fact.

#7blueninja4444(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2008 9:55:58 PM
I don't think running a game like this split screen would hurt the system TOO much, if the co-op engine is already built into the game. It would be a different story if people were demanding co-op in a single player only game (like Saints Row 1).

But yes, glad to see some people agree with the old fashioned 1 house, 1 system, 2 controllers method. I used to play games like Contra and Double Dragons on the NES with my best bro for crying out loud... Think we ever thought we would be having conversations about ONLINE ONLY CO-OP ruining a potentially great co-op game for us?
---
#8MottaajaPosted 4/13/2008 3:14:03 AM
I don't think running a game like this split screen would hurt the system TOO much, if the co-op engine is already built into the game.

Actually , running a splitscreen co-op in a freeroam game like this is one HELL of a task to pull off. I'm no game designer, but you don't have to be to understand that. It's common sense. For example, If both players are at the opposite sides of the city, the game has to load and draw 2 parts of the city IN HIGH QUALITY AT THE SAME TIME ON ONE CONSOLE. They would have to reduce the textures and lighting effects and stuff in co-op(like Bungie did with halo series) and even then it would have to be built from ground up to support offline co-op for it to work properly. Playing online is a lot different since there are actually two 360's working for the players individually.

Mercs 2 will have offline co-op, but it has the players tethered together for a certain distance, another proof that pulling off a flawless splitscreen in a freeroam game is a nearly impossible task.

That being said, I'm a splitscreen fanatic. If a game has splitscreen co-op, it's instantly a buy for me. There's nothing better than playing with a friend sitting next to you, drink beer, and laugh and curse out loud together when hilarious/annoying stuff happens in the game.

PS. Can't wait for MERCS2, it's gonna be sooo awesome to drop that MOAB on my buddies head >=D

PPS. I hope there's some form of splitscreen co-op in Saints Row 2 ='(
---
http://mottis.newgrounds.com/